Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 09:10 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
This pandemic has made people learn to do a lot.. The ones who suffer the most are the ones who can't adapt or reinvent themselves. There wre many things that can be done to exercise at home and get a pretty solid workout. Those with home gyms are the ones who can deal with this the easiest.
Yeah, I got a LOT of that early on when all of the gyms were flat out closed, not restrictions, just not open at all lol. I started to build a fairly solid home gym in 2016 when I moved to a house with a daylight basement. I basically sold collectibles I had bought when I was between 14 and 24, pocketed around $20,000, and I used around $6,500 of that for the gym equipment. It was like, why hold onto objects of no use that I just somewhat enjoy looking at (I kept the best and most valuable parts of my collection still, though) instead of putting this potential money to use for health and fitness? I did split my time between home gym and 24 Hour Fitness across the street. I just gradually went less and less, mainly for leg days. When I moved to this house in late 2019, the space for a gym wasn't an optional request, it was a requirement of the floor plan. I rejected many great new houses because they had no space for a gym, but I finally found this one with a 17' x 20' loft. I expanded the gym to include a leg machine, another adjustable free weight (barbel, already had a few adjustable sets of dumbbells), and then added a commercial elliptical into the mix. I no longer have any plans to set foot into a gym ever again. I have everything I want here. So I got a lot of texts from friends like, "Man, wish I had a home gym now." I admit I felt a bit guilty :P

I think one of the most unfortunate parts about the pandemic is how differently it obviously hits everyone. So I'm a homebody, I have always worked from home since I started my company, I have a home gym, I don't really like to leave the house (my 8 year old car has 14,000 miles...), and I'm an introvert. Now, take someone else who built their life around being an extrovert -- they live in a condo / apartment downtown, they work out at the local gym, their free time is spent at happy hour, maybe hiking with hiking groups, doing classes at a fitness studio / martial arts, and their work is also downtown. That person sensibly built their life around things they love -- going out, being involved in a lot of group activities, being in the heart of the action downtown. Maybe they don't even have many "home" hobbies, no video games, they don't watch a lot of movies / TV normally speaking, and they're single. That person's pandemic experience is a nightmare, it's the total opposite of the lifestyle they're used to living, and the adjustment would be immense and abrupt. Sure, as you point out, they need to adapt, and I'm not saying adaptability isn't a great virtue, but I am saying personality types are a lot different and that person is going to be pretty bummed out as their entire world is ripped out from under them.

For me, there was almost no adaptation. I used to order my groceries online as early as 2007! I mostly shop at Amazon. I hate going out most of the time because it's more hassle to me than it's worth. Do I miss at least being able to go out once or twice a month? Absolutely, yes, of course I do! But at least for me, it really was a few times a month, not every day, so the adjustment is -2 not -30 days of going out. I already worked from home, I already worked out at home, I already did most of my hobbies at home. There was very, very little change in my lifestyle compared to some people. So it's important to be empathetic that the change for some people was immense, and for others small, and I sympathize with those people who are extroverted, the life of the party types, who are so active in the community and with larger groups, I'm sure this has taken a mental health toll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 11:16 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yeah, I got a LOT of that early on when all of the gyms were flat out closed, not restrictions, just not open at all lol. I started to build a fairly solid home gym in 2016 when I moved to a house with a daylight basement. I basically sold collectibles I had bought when I was between 14 and 24, pocketed around $20,000, and I used around $6,500 of that for the gym equipment. It was like, why hold onto objects of no use that I just somewhat enjoy looking at (I kept the best and most valuable parts of my collection still, though) instead of putting this potential money to use for health and fitness? I did split my time between home gym and 24 Hour Fitness across the street. I just gradually went less and less, mainly for leg days. When I moved to this house in late 2019, the space for a gym wasn't an optional request, it was a requirement of the floor plan. I rejected many great new houses because they had no space for a gym, but I finally found this one with a 17' x 20' loft. I expanded the gym to include a leg machine, another adjustable free weight (barbel, already had a few adjustable sets of dumbbells), and then added a commercial elliptical into the mix. I no longer have any plans to set foot into a gym ever again. I have everything I want here. So I got a lot of texts from friends like, "Man, wish I had a home gym now." I admit I felt a bit guilty :P

I think one of the most unfortunate parts about the pandemic is how differently it obviously hits everyone. So I'm a homebody, I have always worked from home since I started my company, I have a home gym, I don't really like to leave the house (my 8 year old car has 14,000 miles...), and I'm an introvert. Now, take someone else who built their life around being an extrovert -- they live in a condo / apartment downtown, they work out at the local gym, their free time is spent at happy hour, maybe hiking with hiking groups, doing classes at a fitness studio / martial arts, and their work is also downtown. That person sensibly built their life around things they love -- going out, being involved in a lot of group activities, being in the heart of the action downtown. Maybe they don't even have many "home" hobbies, no video games, they don't watch a lot of movies / TV normally speaking, and they're single. That person's pandemic experience is a nightmare, it's the total opposite of the lifestyle they're used to living, and the adjustment would be immense and abrupt. Sure, as you point out, they need to adapt, and I'm not saying adaptability isn't a great virtue, but I am saying personality types are a lot different and that person is going to be pretty bummed out as their entire world is ripped out from under them.

For me, there was almost no adaptation. I used to order my groceries online as early as 2007! I mostly shop at Amazon. I hate going out most of the time because it's more hassle to me than it's worth. Do I miss at least being able to go out once or twice a month? Absolutely, yes, of course I do! But at least for me, it really was a few times a month, not every day, so the adjustment is -2 not -30 days of going out. I already worked from home, I already worked out at home, I already did most of my hobbies at home. There was very, very little change in my lifestyle compared to some people. So it's important to be empathetic that the change for some people was immense, and for others small, and I sympathize with those people who are extroverted, the life of the party types, who are so active in the community and with larger groups, I'm sure this has taken a mental health toll.
Very good. You took an opportunity and maximized your returns. Like you whenever I move into a new house in the futureI will make sure it has the space I want to place my home gym. My gym began back in 1993 and it took me years to build. I didn't have a lot of money to burn for some time so I bought my equipment gradually, one piece a a time and I shopped wisely and patiently and it paid off. It is unbelievable the deals you can find sometimes. I am somewhat of a mix between introvert and extrovert. I can be in crowds in some instances but mostly I prefer being either alone or with loved ones and close friends. My hat is off to you for the gym you built.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:26 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I sent a note to Corporate. They suggested I contact the management of the individual clubs. Instead, I wrote to all of them including Corporate saying I wouldn't be using the Club for the next few months at least and suggesting that Corporate enact a policy empowering employees to suspend or revoke the memberships of repeat offenders.

Instead, they sent me an e-mail form cancelling MY membership. Well, alrighty, then. I'd been considering cancelling but they made it easy.
There are some places in which masks are not required while working out.
But it’s odd/kind of funny that they canceled your membership instead. I guess they assumed that you would never be happy, so they decided to cut their loss, I guess.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:32 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
There are some places in which masks are not required while working out.
But it’s odd/kind of funny that they canceled your membership instead. I guess they assumed that you would never be happy, so they decided to cut their loss, I guess.
I'm in the Kansas City area. Local law required masks.

Old 02-24-2021, 12:16 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,795 times
[QUOTE=cowboyxjon;60445825]There are some places in which masks are not required while working out.
But it’s odd/kind of funny that they canceled your membership instead. I guess they assumed that you would never be happy, so they decided to cut their loss, I guess.[/quote]

True, that is how my gym operates, members must wear a mask when entering and exiting but not when training. Very few people wear it while training. If they start requiring people to wear it at all times then I'm done with them and I'm sure I won't be the only one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness