Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2020, 08:39 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yeah exactly. I spent around $10,000 total on my home gym, probably not quite that much, but let’s call it that. I have everything I need in my home gym. It’s not complicated honestly, because most of the best mass building tools are simple - they’re free weights. I could do what I need with less than I have, even. I just added a leg machine you throw plates on for leg extensions and hamstrings, I really enjoy it, but it’s secondary to squats. I have a pulley system too and I only use that for warm ups and cool downs, I don’t “need” it for building and maintaining muscle, I’ve just always enjoyed pulleys for their ease of warmup and cool down. The heart of my workout is done with the bench bar whether that’s benching or squats and I even do horizontal pull-ups with it, where my legs are on the bench and I pull myself up to the bar. Very good back exercise. Then I have two Bowflex free weight dumbbell sets, 5-52.5 and 10-90, so between those free weights I’m able to do bicep curls, rows, shoulders, pec flys, etc.

Would I love 4x as much space to add a T-bar row, a leg press, hip abduction / adduction machine, and maybe a seated bicep curl bench? Sure, that would be great. But I doubt much of that would actually make me stronger. It’s just fun. When I was 21 and went to the gym regularly, I benched 225. I had some injuries and then transitioned into martial arts so lifting was less of a priority. Then I eventually got back into lifting and again managed to get to 225, barely, at around age 32. When I really took off, it was at home - I bought a bench press rack with safety bars that sit just under a half inch above my chest which is perfect for me, and I regularly one rep max (two chest workouts a week, I push my one rep maxes during one per week) and I’ve gotten to 275 at age 36, and I’m back at 265 now at 37 hoping to tie my PR shortly. I was never as strong before going to the gym just in general as I am now with home equipment - I’m more dedicated with the equipment in front of a 75” TV in a room designed for my fitness. And it doesn’t have to cost a fortune. I could do it cheaper than what I’ve spent even, but I didn’t have to (I sold old collectibles that entirely financed the gym, only 1/3 of the money went to it in fact).
Very good. I do not have an exact amount for the cost of my home gym but I have to tell you that building a nice home gym is not as hard as people think. I have acummulated quite abit of equipmemt over the years and I have a one car garage so I had to get creative in order to make it functional but I did it. As far as your amount you did it smartly. There are many ways you can make enough money to build a nice home gym. If you shop smart and have a little bit of patience you can find some really nice deals. I saw a guy on facebook who bought about commercial grade exercises machines for $700.00 in an estate sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 05:35 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytodd View Post
$10K for 12 years is not a lot. Think about it if he works out 25 years, the next 13 years are basically no cost. And then if he has other family members using it, the cost is even lower per person. The gas saved as well. If he keeps the gym 25 years and uses it, it will almost definitely cost less than a gym membership for a family of 4 or 5.
Yet still could not even approach 30% of the average gym's equipment, weights, etc.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:18 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times
Quote:
$10K for 12 years is not a lot. Think about it if he works out 25 years, the next 13 years are basically no cost. And then if he has other family members using it, the cost is even lower per person. The gas saved as well. If he keeps the gym 25 years and uses it, it will almost definitely cost less than a gym membership for a family of 4 or 5.
In reality the cost is only one part of the equation. There are other factors involved here which is the subject of this thread. For some people it is not about the money but rather the perks of it. It is no different than paying someone to mow your lawn every week for $40.00 -$50.00 each time.. You do the math, from April to September you will most likely need your lawn mowed once a week on average. That is al least 24 weeks.. So $40.00 ×24 weeks=$960.00. If it is $50.00 each mow then $50.00×24=$1200.00. With that kind of money I could by myself a nice lawn mower weed eater leaf blower rakes shovels and other things. In just one season all that equipment would pay for itself and would last for years to come but for some people paying somebody else to mow their lawn is worth it because they don't have to do it themselves so it's all about what's important to you. The same principle applies to fitness. For some people spending money building a home gym is worth the investment because they enjoy training at home

Old 05-07-2020, 11:55 AM

332 posts, read 173,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Yet still could not even approach 30% of the average gym's equipment, weights, etc.
Exactly. Most of the average gym's equipment is not needed. If you think more is better and value the gym equipment then that is certainly understandable. I think simple exercises for most will be more than enough to get them in good shape. I did get lucky though partly by looking around and got used things. I got a treadmill from a gym equipment store for 60% off because it had 100 miles on it. Now I have 5 people using it. Before March though it just collected dust.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:11 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
Quote:
Exactly. Most of the average gym's equipment is not needed. If you think more is better and value the gym equipment then that is certainly understandable. I think simple exercises for most will be more than enough to get them in good shape. I did get lucky though partly by looking around and got used things. I got a treadmill from a gym equipment store for 60% off because it had 100 miles on it. Now I have 5 people using it. Before March though it just collected dust.
I think you mis-read Florida2014's post (which I happen to agree with). Who's to say what's needed and what's not...people of all ages and genders and abilities use gyms and they would have lots of different needs.

I vary my workouts. I like having many equipment options at the gym and (at least in my gym) they're all clean and well maintained.

I worked out at home with some decent basic equipment when I was younger and it was fine, but I got bored after a while, and buying new little things every now and then just wasn't all that feasible.

There are lots of things I COULD do and that the pencil-and-paper number sort of make it seem like a good idea, but when I factor in all the externalities it really isn't appealing or a win-win for me.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:21 PM

332 posts, read 173,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I think you mis-read Florida2014's post (which I happen to agree with). Who's to say what's needed and what's not...people of all ages and genders and abilities use gyms and they would have lots of different needs.
Totally agree with this. But the thought that more equipment is better is not necessarily true. Personally I used to love the gym as well but will not go back as northern NJ is still too many positive cases and I am not comfortable. Not saying that makes me right or wrong.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:12 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
I've always exercised at home. Going to a gym is not anything I've ever wanted to do.

Old 05-08-2020, 06:41 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post

I vary my workouts. I like having many equipment options at the gym and (at least in my gym) they're all clean and well maintained.

I worked out at home with some decent basic equipment when I was younger and it was fine, but I got bored after a while, and buying new little things every now and then just wasn't all that feasible.

There are lots of things I COULD do and that the pencil-and-paper number sort of make it seem like a good idea, but when I factor in all the externalities it really isn't appealing or a win-win for me.
Yes, thanks for clarifying. I am doing all of the very, very basics at home now with a pair of adjustable dumbbells. But there are many things I simply cannot reproduce in my little home gym vs. a large, corporate gym. Lat pulls, decline press, leg press, seated calf raises.....not to mention the weight itself. I'm doing about 20% of the weight now that I could do at a gym, which has an endless supply of dumbbells, plates and even machines.

I've said it before, working out at home alone is downright depressing. Just finished a shoulder workout today and normally at the gym I'm not looking at the clock and really enjoying my time there. Now? I can't wait for it to end, it's almost a "have to do" now vs. a "enjoy doing."

Old 05-08-2020, 10:45 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Yes, thanks for clarifying. I am doing all of the very, very basics at home now with a pair of adjustable dumbbells. But there are many things I simply cannot reproduce in my little home gym vs. a large, corporate gym. Lat pulls, decline press, leg press, seated calf raises.....not to mention the weight itself. I'm doing about 20% of the weight now that I could do at a gym, which has an endless supply of dumbbells, plates and even machines.

I've said it before, working out at home alone is downright depressing. Just finished a shoulder workout today and normally at the gym I'm not looking at the clock and really enjoying my time there. Now? I can't wait for it to end, it's almost a "have to do" now vs. a "enjoy doing."

I can reproduce all of these with 1, or if you need serious weight; 2-180 lb bands.
Sounds like you simply are needing a structured environment for motivation purposes.
I couldn't do it either when I was young, if I didn't go to a gym; I wasn't working out at all.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:03 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
I've got by with a set of adjustable dumbbells (6lbs up to 50lbs) and an adjustable weight bench with a leg extension. The bench was terribly used and after a week it completely broke loose so now when I lay flat on the bench I'm more or less balancing, lol. I told my wife I'm going to up my LTD in the event I become paralyzed from this piece of crappola.
Yes there are some pretty crappy benches out there. Hence my higher budget to get better built and more stable benches. Now if I can only find one to buy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness