Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 12:00 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

No doubt people will vehemently deny that running is bad for you or your knees.

Certainly many people run everyday with no issues, but there are also many people who have bad knees from running. Just because you don't have any problems doesn't mean others don't.

I no longer run due to pain in my knees. If something you do causes pain, then it obviously is something you shouldn't do.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tiger-w...142710658.html

Quote:
If you had one thing you could go back in time and tell your younger self, what would it be?

Tiger Woods was asked the question during a recent GolfTV Q&A, to which he answered: “Yeah, not to run so much.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 12:40 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,484 times
Too much running will destroy your knees or the majority of the population. He definitely overdid it alongside his golf regiment.

Old 05-03-2020, 12:43 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Yeah - but obviously that's not the case for everyone, because plenty of people run with no problem.

To me - it's all about form and how your body bears the weight when you hit the ground. (this is how engineers think - sorry)

For me - ears, over shoulders, over hips-as much as possible, they should be in alignment. Good posture - don't slump.

Regarding knees - heels should land beneath your body... maybe very slightly in front of your body. Because what happens is that the downward force from your weight hitting the ground goes straight down to your shins and your knees are unaffected. If you land with our heel/foot out in front out of you, then you are subjecting your knees to forces that they are not designed to endure. Sprinters can run that way because their legs are more muscular, and the extra muscle protects their knees. But if you are a regular Joe Schmo like I am now - you will hurt your knees running like sprinters do.

Watch sprinters run, then watch marathoners run - and watch their foot placement. Kenyans actually land on the balls of their feet instead of their heels, but the foot position is still beneath their body when they hit the ground.

I used to have knee pain when I ran until read some things and figured it out. Now I have no pain. But I just have to pay attention to my form and be in control of what I do with my body.

Old 05-03-2020, 12:58 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
No doubt people will vehemently deny that running is bad for you or your knees.

Certainly many people run everyday with no issues, but there are also many people who have bad knees from running. Just because you don't have any problems doesn't mean others don't.

I no longer run due to pain in my knees. If something you do causes pain, then it obviously is something you shouldn't do.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tiger-w...142710658.html
Quote:
“Running over 30 miles a week for probably my first five, six years on Tour pretty much destroyed my body and my knees,” Woods said.
Many people have run a lot more miles, for a much long time, and when they were much older than Tiger was during his 5-6 years on the tour. Keep in mind that while Tiger has had many different injuries, his biggest problem was the four back surgeries he has had. As I point out in my other post on this subject: https://www.city-data.com/forum/exer...l#post58012301, Tiger likely injured his back working on his drive. He likely spent much more time working on his swing than he spent running.

Old 05-03-2020, 01:09 PM

9,386 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Unless someone had a gun to me, I wouldn't run for exercise. So many less damaging ways to workout.

With Tiger, you can also add in that early golf swing of his, where you drove his left knee into his right knee and really put pressure on both of them with what was a fairly violent swing.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:04 PM

9,866 posts, read 4,638,421 times
It depends on weight, stride, shoes and course/surface. Always heard those who start running early in life develop a wear pattern on their knee joints which makes things easier. Also flexibility helps as well.

Big thing with running and other exercises one has to remember they are part of one's workout routine not 'the' routine so don't expect as much or push it like one is going for the Olympics. It should be their to supplement one's routine not take it over.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:45 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,637,986 times
Well, yeah, running can be damaging but its like any other exercise, if you do too much of it, it can be counter productive. If have to incorporate recovery methods with any exercise you do and you must take some rest days as well. Anything can be damaging if you go overboard.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:56 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Anything you do repetitively can wear out your body. Jane Fonda did aerobics videos when she was younger and has had both of her knees and one of her hips replaced. Not saying it's definitely from the exercise, but I'm sure it's a factor. Look at construction workers who have to have knee replacements, when someone who never worked a physical job would not have all that strain on their joints.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:18 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Anything you do repetitively can wear out your body. Jane Fonda did aerobics videos when she was younger and has had both of her knees and one of her hips replaced. Not saying it's definitely from the exercise, but I'm sure it's a factor. Look at construction workers who have to have knee replacements, when someone who never worked a physical job would not have all that strain on their joints.

I agree with your point that anything you do repetitively can cause injuries. Assembly line workers are prime candidates. Difficult to say about construction workers unless they are doing a repetitive motion for 40 hours/week such as bricklayers. Obese people are subject to joint replacements due to everyday life putting a strain on their joints. I highly doubt Jane Fonda's aerobics videos cause her to need joint replacements unless she was doing aerobics 30 hours/week.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:37 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
I know people who have done nothing more in their life than get on and off the couch, and their body and knees are destroyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness