Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2020, 07:00 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
So, there is a work place that someone said that they live with someone else who's +ve. He/she did not have any symptoms, tested +ve, three other people in the same place tested +ve, none had any symptoms.

So, these symptom free people could go to the gym, huff and puff and expose us.
Absolutely. Everyone has to make their own decision as to working out. I’m not discounting the seriousness of the virus, but so far no one I know has gotten it. No one they know has gotten it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 06:07 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Absolutely. Everyone has to make their own decision as to working out. I’m not discounting the seriousness of the virus, but so far no one I know has gotten it. No one they know has gotten it either.
I've had two family members test positive. One who is a relatively healthy male around 50 ended up with a slight fever for a few days, his daughter caught it as well and her only symptoms were loss of taste and smell.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:47 AM

496 posts, read 445,845 times
My gym reopened this month, but I have not been back. Just concerned people going will have the virus, but no symptoms and then it spreads. I am waiting to see what happens but with the looks of things at the moment and exponential increases in new cases, looks like it's going to be a long time before I go back.

I hope this Corona crap is over early next year at the latest, but who knows at the rate we're going.

Also, I am not interested in having to work out in a mask, so there's that too. They're not required, but the idea of people running or breathing heavily in an enclosed space without one makes it seem more risky to me.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:50 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Canceling my membership. Doesn't make sense to pay all that money for reduced services. They have a waiting list because only so many people can be at the gym at a time, but charging the same fees. Ehhhh. No.

I've found out other ways to workout at home. THe pandemic forced me to be more creative. Now I don't really need the gym anymore. I'm not in training for anything anyway.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:24 AM

Arizona is re-closing their gyms and I'm afraid they're going to close them all down here in Florida too. I did learn today that my LA Fitness is now requiring masks upon entry and whenever you're going from machine to machine. It's a stupid policy because they said you don't have to wear it while you're actually working out, just *between* working out when you're walking to/from an area. In other words, it's more or less forcing you to touch and re-touch your mask while you're there, all the while they don't have hand sanitizer in stock. I know they're trying to skirt this order by the Governor but this is ridiculous.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:33 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
This will be an interesting development to watch.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...s-coronavirus/

Planet Fitness in Morgantown, WV has reported that one member worked out there and has now tested positive for COVID-19. The headline screams that 205 people "may have been exposed"- that would be the employees plus anyone in the gym from 9 AM to 3 PM on June 24. Given the rate of COVID-19 in the general population I don't consider it alarming that an asymptomatic person was in the gym. I WILL be interested in seeing how many cases, if any, result from that one person. If the measures they're taking are effective ones, it may be very low. I'm hoping for zero for everyone's sake!

Old 06-30-2020, 08:56 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I've had two family members test positive. One who is a relatively healthy male around 50 ended up with a slight fever for a few days, his daughter caught it as well and her only symptoms were loss of taste and smell.
Did they fully recover?

Old 06-30-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Did they fully recover?
Yes, 100% in under one week.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
This will be an interesting development to watch.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...s-coronavirus/

Planet Fitness in Morgantown, WV has reported that one member worked out there and has now tested positive for COVID-19. The headline screams that 205 people "may have been exposed"- that would be the employees plus anyone in the gym from 9 AM to 3 PM on June 24. Given the rate of COVID-19 in the general population I don't consider it alarming that an asymptomatic person was in the gym. I WILL be interested in seeing how many cases, if any, result from that one person. If the measures they're taking are effective ones, it may be very low. I'm hoping for zero for everyone's sake!
My guess is this will result in few, if any, new infections. Most PFs are large with ample space for people unless this particular person was in a small class or working out with someone.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:59 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
My guess is this will result in few, if any, new infections. Most PFs are large with ample space for people unless this particular person was in a small class or working out with someone.
And that's my hope, too! Mine is large, with giant overhead fans and has always had room for distancing. The two days I was there it was easy to keep a 6-foot distance from anyone else- I probably had more like 10 feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness