Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 09:40 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,835,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
The test is unreliable with false positives. Blank sterile swabs with no specimens were submitted and also tested positive.

https://twitter.com/queenalmamarie/s...26638105292800

I hope this comment is tongue in cheek.

To clarify things, this work place happens to be a medical office that is also a lab and they run their own tests. No BS here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 06:01 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,307,312 times
Today was my first day in the gym where masks were required. At LA Fitness, you're required to wear a mask in the "public" areas (entering and walking around....I guess??). I was a good soldier and kept my mask on for my first few lifts but when I got to the deadlift I simply could not breathe well enough and had to remove it. No one was around me so it wasn't a big deal and the rule is you can take the mask off when you're at your own station, but there is just no way I can lift any type of heavy weights with a mask on that is cutting off 30%+ of my oxygen.

Most people were wearing masks but I suspect that will wear off as the weeks drag on here in Florida. I know Under Armour is producing masks that are more breathable, but it's only on pre-order and you can't get them for several more months, anyone know of other masks that are good to wear in the gym? The one I have is cotton and when it's on I couldn't blow a candle out, it really restricts air flow (good and bad, I guess).

Old 07-01-2020, 06:54 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,448,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
anyone know of other masks that are good to wear in the gym? The one I have is cotton and when it's on I couldn't blow a candle out, it really restricts air flow.
I posted this idea previously here.

*Note: This will not make a protective mask - this is a special purpose use.

Here are some ideas - you can make a "deadlift" or "hard core lift" mask. Wear your regular mask for everything else and put this on for the heavy lifts. Take this material and double it over and cut it in the shape of a mask with ear holes, or if you are willing to put the time in it, double it over and make a mask and put shoe strings in to tie around your head or women's ponytail bands to fit around your ears.

This could also be the "air piece" of a regular mask. Take a regular mask, cut an opening in the nose and mouth area and safety pin or sew a doubled over layer square of this in the mask.

Doubled over - the material is very thin, sheer, very breathable - but if doubled over, it will be opaque but still breathable.

**Disclaimer: Again - not protective but for special use

https://www.amazon.com/Mosquito-Head..._t3_B01EKFQFDG

This is mosquito netting ($8.00). Shown is a head pouch. The purpose would be to use it as a fabric swatch to cut up and make a breathable mask. If they require masks to run outdoors ever - I plan to do this. I have not yet returned to the gym but plan to soon. Right now masks are required in the gyms as they are with you. I would have to do this to train at a gym.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:49 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,860,699 times
Are California gyms allowing any fitness classes?

I'll probably call mine and put my membership on hold.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:15 PM

24,043 posts, read 32,357,283 times
Ohio. My state "opened" recently. My doctor advises against it.

You couldn't pay me to go there. All of that panting and breathing, sweating, NO.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:58 PM

10,351 posts, read 10,613,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Ohio. My state "opened" recently. My doctor advises against it.

You couldn't pay me to go there. All of that panting and breathing, sweating, NO.
I guess I'm lucky. Very few pant, breath hard, or sweat at my gym. And very few actually have gone back to the gym since they closed on March 14th. I worked out tonight and maximum number of people in the gym while I was there varied between one and six. I was the "one" for awhile.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:51 PM

9,764 posts, read 4,582,767 times
Did the juicers and dealers come back when those gyms reopened? Back to business as usual like it was the day after a holiday when people came back?

Old 07-02-2020, 11:10 AM

4,036 posts, read 2,117,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Did the juicers and dealers come back when those gyms reopened? Back to business as usual like it was the day after a holiday when people came back?

Juicers and dealers? I've been a gym rat, but don't understand those terms unless it's literally someone who lives on a lot of juice and someone who deals drugs. I'm clueless. I admit it.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:23 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,835,513 times
Okay, here we go.
I finally went to my gym. It is more of a tennis club with a gym in LA county.

The front door gal did a cursory temp check, mostly I think because she realized I had not been back yet.
The things I liked were; plenty of wipes and hand sanitizers, they kept most of the doors open, so less touching involved. The towels were gone. The locker rooms was deserted. They blocked every other cardio machine. The weight equipment was moved around, but not enough space between them IMO.

The tricky parts; the people who were working out inside the gym didn't have a mask. My buddy sees me after 3 months and wants to chest bump me...
They had reduced the number of spin bikes in the class to 10, but it still a smaller space with 4 large fans.

The rest of the classes are similar too.

I went outside for the most part. Personal observations;
At age 50+, I have lost my deadlift ability significantly, down from 285 lbs, barely could do 8 reps with 195 lbs but also didn't want to push myself. Recovery from injury is not fun at this age. Abs are apparently still the same though.

I have been doing exercise at home, but my dumbbells only go to 40 lbs. I was doing high rep exercises. I also made a bar with PVC pipe so were doing 40 rep squats with 65 lbs, but have still gotten weak.

I only worked out for an hour, which is so short for me that when I got home, my wife thought I have not even gone in.

Will see how the bench press feels today.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:10 PM

10,320 posts, read 8,526,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
Okay, here we go.
I finally went to my gym. It is more of a tennis club with a gym in LA county.

The front door gal did a cursory temp check, mostly I think because she realized I had not been back yet.
The things I liked were; plenty of wipes and hand sanitizers, they kept most of the doors open, so less touching involved. The towels were gone. The locker rooms was deserted. They blocked every other cardio machine. The weight equipment was moved around, but not enough space between them IMO.

The tricky parts; the people who were working out inside the gym didn't have a mask. My buddy sees me after 3 months and wants to chest bump me...
They had reduced the number of spin bikes in the class to 10, but it still a smaller space with 4 large fans.

The rest of the classes are similar too.

I went outside for the most part. Personal observations;
At age 50+, I have lost my deadlift ability significantly, down from 285 lbs, barely could do 8 reps with 195 lbs but also didn't want to push myself. Recovery from injury is not fun at this age. Abs are apparently still the same though.

I have been doing exercise at home, but my dumbbells only go to 40 lbs. I was doing high rep exercises. I also made a bar with PVC pipe so were doing 40 rep squats with 65 lbs, but have still gotten weak.

I only worked out for an hour, which is so short for me that when I got home, my wife thought I have not even gone in.

Will see how the bench press feels today.
No chest bumping in my gym. Elbow bumps or fist bumps, but we all carry sanitizer with us so after the bump, spray and wipe the body part.
As someone who has worked out for 43 years, take it easy at first. If you get hurt you will be even further behind, especially with slow recovery from aging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness