Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 01:22 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times

Advertisements

Have you gone back?...what was your experience like (OK, diminished?)....do you plan on keeping your membership?

For those who have not gone back—are you taking a wait and see approach (if so, how long)?...is your membership on hold and/or do you plan to cancel your membership?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2020, 03:51 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I have kind of rethought the idea. There are many ways to achieve fitness that don't involve hot boxing germs/viruses with a bunch of strangers that are also free or affordable.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:55 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
I haven't gone back yet. I just saw this. A healthy fit guy who works out and look what Covid19 did to him....that makes me scared even more. I will stay away from gyms for now.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:38 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Yeah, going back to gyms right now is a pretty stupid idea. Im sure gym owners disagree with me though.

All the following are no gos:

Gyms
Martial arts studios (especially grappling arts(
Hot Yoga studios

I'll make an exception for small crossfit gyms that will limit the number of people inside to like 3-4.

We here in California, Los Angeles, are still unable to go to any gyms even if we wanted because they are still closed which I am totally in support of.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:24 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times
I've gotten used to working out at home with online videos.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:34 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
If my gym opened back up, I'd be there tomorrow.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:18 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Yeah, going back to gyms right now is a pretty stupid idea. Im sure gym owners disagree with me though.

All the following are no gos:

Gyms
Martial arts studios (especially grappling arts(
Hot Yoga studios

I'll make an exception for small crossfit gyms that will limit the number of people inside to like 3-4.

We here in California, Los Angeles, are still unable to go to any gyms even if we wanted because they are still closed which I am totally in support of.
Why would you make them the exception. If a larger gym had the same number of people per square foot what’s the difference?
CrossFit is pretty intense which means a lot of heavy breathing and sweating. I belong to a larger gym and not many people are working out that intensely.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:28 PM

332 posts, read 174,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Why would you make them the exception. If a larger gym had the same number of people per square foot what’s the difference?
CrossFit is pretty intense which means a lot of heavy breathing and sweating. I belong to a larger gym and not many people are working out that intensely.
i thought coughing and sneezing was main form of transmission so more people more risk.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:34 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytodd View Post
i thought coughing and sneezing was main form of transmission so more people more risk.
If so then both the CrossFit and larger gyms are risky. If I’m in a gym that I’m 200 feet away from someone coughing I don’t feel the risk is that high. Certainly no more than being in a CrossFit gym where you are just 5 to 10 feet away. Now if there are more people and it’s a smaller place there might be more risk.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:31 AM

9,396 posts, read 8,363,704 times
So gyms have re-opened here in FL. I've went to two gyms (not my regular gym, that hasn't re-opened yet) and neither really changed much of anything other than a few signs asking people to socially distance. All of their benches/machines/cardio equipment were in the same place and they made zero effort to distance people from one another like shutting down every other machine or removing some benches, etc. It was business as usual in both places.

The gym on Monday was ridiculous. Very busy as it was the first day they reopened and I felt like people were not giving me the appropriate space. But they did have one employee walking around cleaning things randomly. I did not see that yesterday or today, we were left to do that ourselves.

Having said that, the gym I went to today was not busy at all. It is a large, corporate gym with many thousands of square feet. I was able to distance myself from everyone very easily and I wiped down machines after use and after each exercise, I applied hand sanitizer, so after every 4 sets. At the end, I went into the restroom and washed my hands as if I was going into surgery, then when I got out to the car, I used my own hand sanitizer yet again. Then when I got home, I changed clothes completely and yes, washed my hands with soap and water again. After lunch and my walk, I will shower thoroughly. Not sure what else I can do at this point but I feel safe enough.

If someone were to sidle up next to me again, I'm going to walk to another area. My LA Fitness opens on Monday and it's much larger and spacious so I'm not at all worried about social distancing there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness