Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 11:49 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,628,208 times

Advertisements

Ladies and gentlemen as I have said before when it comes to health and fitness I am a constant student. I am always trying to learn from others so my question to you fellow members who exercise at home is this; What does your home exercise program consist of? I welcome both brief descriptions and detailed ones. I am sure I will see some interesting posts that will give me some great ideas that I will most likely end up adopting. Thanks in advance for your participation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 01:29 PM

876 posts, read 1,000,844 times
I invested a considerable amount of money in the fallowing:

-A power tower
-2 weighted vests
-lifting shoes
-A barbell rack for overhead pressing and inverted rows
-A bench
-A pair of adjustable dumbbells and a barbell
-A mattress

I currently have workout program where I work 3 days a week and alternate between 2 types of workouts each time. On saturdays I also go for a run across the neighborhood:

Workout A

Chin-ups
Pushups
Bodyweight squats with a weight vest
Some kind of core exercise (planks, leg raise etc depends on my mood)
Bicep curls

Workout B

Pull-ups
Overhead press
Bodyweight squats with a weight vest
Back hyperextensions or a deadlift (depends on my mood. Sometimes I do a bit of both)
Dumbbell pullover

The only real weakness of this setup is that I can't go heavy on the squat or deadlift since my barbell only goes up to 50kg (might invest in a more proper barbell and weights in the future, though). But personally, I don't really much care that much about that since I feel leg work is extremely overrated. I don't subscribe to this meme that if you aren't doing heavy leg work you will look like a piece of ****. I still do bodyweight squats (and running once a week though that's mostly just for cardio/health) with a weighted vest since I don't really feel like a real athlete if I ignore my legs completely, but I have no intention of ever doing traditional heavy leg work (and since I am working out at home I am not even sure if I even could).

Old 09-28-2016, 02:19 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
Over the past 4-5 years I've collected:

Concept2 rower
Olympic barbell
Bumper plates
Pull-up rig
Squat/bench rig
Bench
Plyo boxes
Gymnastic rings
Slam balls
Kettle bells
Rubber mats for the garage floor

I can pretty much do any weightlifting/CrossFit style workout that I want. Right now I'm on a Wendler "Boring but big" cycle. Today was 5/3/1 squats and 5x10 deadlifts and 5x10 ab roll-outs. Ugh.
Attached Thumbnails
For those of you who exercise at home.-garagegym.jpg  

Old 09-28-2016, 02:24 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,281,333 times
It depends on what "collection" of equipment you have, and how much money you are willing to spend on said collection. I have always been an at home exerciser, and only twice in my 56 years have I joined a gym, and both times that lasted less than six months.

Right now I am a runner, and I do that outside. But I do occasional cross training days. This is what I currently have in my home gym:

Hoist V5 single stack weight/pulley machine
Nordictrack
Spinner Blade Ion spin bike
Life Fitness X5 Advanced elliptical
Trimline treadmill
Power Blocks (up to 70lbs each) and weight bench
TRX
Band set
Many Beachbody DVD's
Bodyweight videos

I have plenty I can do at home, and over the years the routine changes.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Over the past 4-5 years I've collected:

Concept2 rower
Olympic barbell
Bumper plates
Pull-up rig
Squat/bench rig
Bench
Plyo boxes
Gymnastic rings
Slam balls
Kettle bells
Rubber mats for the garage floor

I can pretty much do any weightlifting/CrossFit style workout that I want. Right now I'm on a Wendler "Boring but big" cycle. Today was 5/3/1 squats and 5x10 deadlifts and 5x10 ab roll-outs. Ugh.
A garage can be very versatile. It looks nice and clean. Thanks for the picture

Old 09-28-2016, 04:40 PM

876 posts, read 1,000,844 times
I should add that in my above post (which I can't edit anymore ) I made a slight mistake. I said I did pullups on day A and chin ups on day B. This is actually wrong. I alternate between pullups and chinups on day 1, and do inverted rows on day B.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:07 AM

I tell you what, I have seen some YouTube videos of people traning at home that are pretty impressive.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:57 AM

19 posts, read 23,014 times
I have found that I like the great outdoors. I have indoor equipment, and have been a gym member, but the thing that I do most consistently is to walk and cycle outside. I am entertained when outdoors, as there is always something different to look at. The time literally flies by. When exercising indoors, I have to listen to music and find myself counting the minutes until I'm done.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:59 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,371,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
A garage can be very versatile. It looks nice and clean. Thanks for the picture
It's worked out great so far, other than we've only got a two car garage, so I have to park my car in the driveway.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
It's worked out great so far, other than we've only got a two car garage, so I have to park my car in the driveway.

Well hell consider yourself lucky. I wish I had a 2 car garage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness