Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 12:28 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,675,331 times

Advertisements

It's only this gym today, bigger businesses have not filed yet but soon will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 12:42 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,019,173 times
I read an article a few years back that said commercial chain gyms need something like a 9:1 ratio of paying:using members to survive.

I have to believe a lot of the "9" aren't ever re-joining.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:18 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,304,488 times
24 hour fitness I noticed was going downhill for a while, first was the steam room hours, than they were absorbing many Bally’s locations a good number of which were run down, they never converted them to 24 hour operations nor bother to renovate them but yet converted some of them from sports to super sports which meant a higher charge even for those who had just signed up at the same location months ago.
Most recently In 2018 they took away towels from upgraded super sports locations and Severely limited equipment checkouts such as basketballs,, and a year later converted many centers from 24 hour to 20 hours. I feel they were collapsing on themselves for a long time.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:43 PM

35,047 posts, read 31,242,294 times
I do not know how many YMCAs will survive.

I have a Planet Fitness black card membership. $22.99 a month and I can go to any club in the country. Free tanning/massage chairs/hydromassage. Each location I've been to has always been clean as a pin, staff friendly, etc.

My local YMCA was $55/month. Sure, there are more amenities, but it is a 55 year old building and shows its age. The facility is never as clean as PF. The pool and hot tub are either closed for classes or out of order more than they seem available.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:42 PM

497 posts, read 695,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Because they were barely hanging on before. Too many gyms and they expanded aggressively taking on a lot of debt which was rated as junk bonds even before.
This - and they have had a revolving door of CEOs for the last several years.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:42 AM

870 posts, read 1,567,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I do not know how many YMCAs will survive.

I have a Planet Fitness black card membership. $22.99 a month and I can go to any club in the country. Free tanning/massage chairs/hydromassage. Each location I've been to has always been clean as a pin, staff friendly, etc.

My local YMCA was $55/month. Sure, there are more amenities, but it is a 55 year old building and shows its age. The facility is never as clean as PF. The pool and hot tub are either closed for classes or out of order more than they seem available.

My local YMCA is old, rundown, and dingy. I used to be a member, but why workout in that type of environment? YMCA has a financial assistance program for low income members so that probably helps them maintain memberships.

Planet Fitness in my area are cleaner and more appealing. While some think it's not real workout facility, it serves my needs. However, I like to workout between 4:30-5:00 a.m., but my local PP doesn't open until 6:00 a.m. now. Would like them to go back to 24 hours, but they can't given the current events.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:49 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,947,601 times
I agree with other posters. I've been a member of just about every gym chain in existence, from mom and pop to the big guys, and I was extremely dissatisfied with 24 Hour. I was a member back in 2013 for a few months. They did not maintain their equipment properly. I would always have to wait to use the treadmill and other things because half the machines had some problem. That's a warning sign of financial issues. I cancelled right away. A word of advice for those who want to join a gym: don't ever sign up for several months in advance. You might quickly discover some dealbreaker and then you're stuck.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:21 AM

22,307 posts, read 29,389,669 times
I've been with 24 hr for almost 6 years. I always thought they didn't have the latest equipment and took forever to repair the broken ones.

Now the ones in my area that are going to open is by appt only and for an hour slot. I'm trying to figure out how all the people from the other gyms are going to migrate to mine and take up all these workout spots. I mean whats the point in paying for a membership if I can only work out once every two weeks for an hour due to the demand????

Old 06-17-2020, 08:45 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,663,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Can't even survive a few months, and I believe many of those gyms were continuing to charge members even though they couldn't use the facilities.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/24-hour-f...151141689.html
just took a look at my charges and it looks like i was charged through april and they didnt charge me on May or June.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:48 AM

9,519 posts, read 16,498,562 times
I'm sorry to hear this about 24 hour. I haven't had a membership with them in 5 years. I had to canx it when I moved to Fla at that time. There are only a few locations in Fla. I had a membership with them for almost 20 years between Calif and Oregon. I was paying $49 a year. I really hated having to canx it. The gyms where I live in Fla, are not all that great. So I really miss 24 Hour.

I always liked the chain but yes their equip was frequently broken. I think they have been having problems for awhile. I know LA Fitness in Metro Phoenix bought all 24 Hour locations. I hope they don't go completely out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness