Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 03:10 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so these masks stop coronavirus from exiting your mouth/nose but not entering?
Not exactly from exiting your mouth but from becoming airborne. See https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...coverings.html

You need a more sophisticated mask called an N95 respirator to prevent the virus from entering your lungs. See https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/...and-face-masks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 05:46 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Not exactly from exiting your mouth but from becoming airborne. See https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...coverings.html

You need a more sophisticated mask called an N95 respirator to prevent the virus from entering your lungs. See https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/...and-face-masks
But if we think logically, if the mask stops things going in one direction, it probably stops them going in the other direction as well. I'm having a hard time figuring out how it only protects one way.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:05 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
There was a hair saloon in Chicago with two of the stylists who were a bit sick and tested positive. They had worked on around 180 costumers. All parties were wearing a mask, including the stylists. No costumers got sick.

So, if both side wear a mask, it prevents the spread for the most part. I am sure it is not perfect, esp if you sneeze/cough with mask, but it reduces is significantly.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:11 PM

610 posts, read 263,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
Some of us want more than just push ups and pull-ups. You really need a gym if you are serious about working out your entire body.
THANK YOU. For some reason there are a lot of people that think all people do at the gym is walk on a treadmill. I literally had someone, with a straight face, tell me that walking around the block and lifting soup cans would be an appropriate substitute for my normal CrossFit workouts

Old 06-24-2020, 08:14 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
I dunno...I see people out running "in the noon day sun" with high humidity every summer. Is that much different than wearing a mask inside an air conditioned building?

Old 06-25-2020, 08:12 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I dunno...I see people out running "in the noon day sun" with high humidity every summer. Is that much different than wearing a mask inside an air conditioned building?
I've had heat exhaustion twice. The other night I waited till 8:15 p.m. to mow my front yard. Even though the sun was setting it was still quite hot & humid. When I got done I was sweating like crazy. Took a cool shower and shortly after I started feeling light headed and nauseous. Some people just don't deal well with the heat, especially if they have been victim to heat stroke or heat exhaustion previously. FYI I'm not some overweight, out of shape couch potato. I did a 5K in February 2019 but it wasn't blazing hot.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:23 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,427,778 times
You can just use the bandanna mask that is pictured above on the first page. I used an N 95 mask for work too, and my gym just requires you to wear a mask upon entering and in the hallway. When you exercise it is optional to wear or not....

Old 06-25-2020, 12:59 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity2019 View Post
You can just use the bandanna mask that is pictured above on the first page. I used an N 95 mask for work too, and my gym just requires you to wear a mask upon entering and in the hallway. When you exercise it is optional to wear or not....
I feel like these sorts of "rules" are laughable. Requiring people to wear a mask upon entering but then you can take it off? Screams to me of the gym simply trying to pacify the mask-on crowd rather than actually enforcing the rule all the way.

I really hope masks aren't required here in FL but I think it's coming. The numbers are exploding here, we are the next NY, apparently.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:46 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I feel like these sorts of "rules" are laughable. Requiring people to wear a mask upon entering but then you can take it off? Screams to me of the gym simply trying to pacify the mask-on crowd rather than actually enforcing the rule all the way.

I really hope masks aren't required here in FL but I think it's coming. The numbers are exploding here, we are the next NY, apparently.
Since COVID 19 is surging in Florida right now its probably not a good idea to go without a mask. Masks are the most effective thing we can do as a community - not just for yourself, but for people around you. Do everyone a favor and either stay home or wear a mask.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Since COVID 19 is surging in Florida right now its probably not a good idea to go without a mask. Masks are the most effective thing we can do as a community - not just for yourself, but for people around you. Do everyone a favor and either stay home or wear a mask.
If you are wearing a mask shouldn't that protect you from other people if they aren't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness