Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2020, 07:52 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,455,565 times

Advertisements

I have always worked out quite a bit, but after having 2 kids and a travel work life...Ive packed on some LBS.

I have good strength and muscle mass, but I am trying to drop some weight. Curious what any suggestions any one has.

I'm 5'6" 167lbs...I was about 174 pre Covid. I would like to get down to about 158sh. I use to go to Life Time and do mostly weights with about 20 mins of cardio. Covid and kids I cancelled my gym membership. I have a pull up bar, dumbells, some kettle bells and a Rogue Rack getting delivered tomorrow. Wife also has a Norditrak spinning bike.

I think body fat % is my main culprit but I am doing circuit training in the garage and have gotten better results than 2 years at the gym...Not drinking as much either....Anyway, curious if anyone has any suggestions? We eat pretty healthy for the most part too.

What I really struggle with is how many calories I should burn during a workout, and how many calories I should consume a day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 09:36 AM

32,972 posts, read 26,210,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I have always worked out quite a bit, but after having 2 kids and a travel work life...Ive packed on some LBS.

I have good strength and muscle mass, but I am trying to drop some weight. Curious what any suggestions any one has.

I'm 5'6" 167lbs...I was about 174 pre Covid. I would like to get down to about 158sh. I use to go to Life Time and do mostly weights with about 20 mins of cardio. Covid and kids I cancelled my gym membership. I have a pull up bar, dumbells, some kettle bells and a Rogue Rack getting delivered tomorrow. Wife also has a Norditrak spinning bike.

I think body fat % is my main culprit but I am doing circuit training in the garage and have gotten better results than 2 years at the gym...Not drinking as much either....Anyway, curious if anyone has any suggestions? We eat pretty healthy for the most part too.

What I really struggle with is how many calories I should burn during a workout, and how many calories I should consume a day?
You only want to lose 9 pounds ~ from 167 to 158. You can lose a pound a week and reach your goal in nine weeks (one pound of fat contains 3500 calories). To do that you need only take in 500 calories less per day than the amount of calories you need to maintain your weight. You can easily do that by a combination of eating less and increasing your physical activity.

I don't know if you like using a step deck, but supposedly, at your present weight you would burn about 530 calories in one hour of low impact step decking. (I'm using the calculator in the link below).

https://www.sparkpeople.com/resource...sp?exercise=56

An hour of walking at 3 mph would burn about 270 calories at your present weight according to the chart in the link below.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ca...ease-your-burn

So simply cut back a bit on your calories and go walk or step deck for 30 minutes to an hour. Walking has less impact on your joints and using the step deck has caused knee problems for some people. And yes, do your weight training as well.

But what you do in the kitchen is the real key.

Last edited by Michael Way; 06-24-2020 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: Added 'per day.'

Old 06-24-2020, 09:45 AM

9,317 posts, read 8,233,164 times
Also, simple steps like substituting water for juice/Gatorade will help shave off those unwanted calories each day too. A lot of people drink too many calories in things like coffee or sports drinks.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:53 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,455,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
You only want to lose 9 pounds ~ from 167 to 158. You can lose a pound a week and reach your goal in nine weeks (one pound of fat contains 3500 calories). To do that you need only take in 500 calories less per day than the amount of calories you need to maintain your weight. You can easily do that by a combination of eating less and increasing your physical activity.

I don't know if you like using a step deck, but supposedly, at your present weight you would burn about 530 calories in one hour of low impact step decking. (I'm using the calculator in the link below).

https://www.sparkpeople.com/resource...sp?exercise=56

An hour of walking at 3 mph would burn about 270 calories at your present weight according to the chart in the link below.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ca...ease-your-burn

So simply cut back a bit on your calories and go walk or step deck for 30 minutes to an hour. Walking has less impact on your joints and using the step deck has caused knee problems for some people. And yes, do your weight training as well.

But what you do in the kitchen is the real key.
Step Deck as in Stair Climber? Yeah Im on the home gym now, so no access to that. I can walk in my hood as much as I want though. I have tons of trains etc....I usually walk my dog 1.5 miles every morning but I now have an inflamed tendon in my foot so everyone is mad at me.

Old 06-24-2020, 04:03 PM

32,972 posts, read 26,210,600 times
Quote:
Step Deck as in Stair Climber? Yeah Im on the home gym now, so no access to that. I can walk in my hood as much as I want though. I have tons of trains etc....I usually walk my dog 1.5 miles every morning but I now have an inflamed tendon in my foot so everyone is mad at me.

No. A step deck as in the picture below. Anything that you may have about six inches high that you can step up on will work. But walking is fine.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:29 AM

4 posts, read 2,368 times
Have you tried intermittent fasting?

Old 06-26-2020, 06:57 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,503,082 times
Quote:
If you increase your calorie deficit, the difference between what you consume and what you burn, by 200 calories a day, you should be able to get to the weight in three or four months. You can do that by walking 2 miles a day which is roughly 45 minutes time. Get your wife and/or your kids to tag along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness