U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 06:52 PM

1,049 posts, read 333,645 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, I have a chronic pain syndrome in my left shoulder and arm which makes lots of repeated motion difficult. I also have a Morton’s neuroma on my left foot that has just starting acting up again.

What I can’t do for the time being:

Run
Walk quickly (slow walking is thankfully OK)
Push my left foot or my arms through water (say in a pool).
Anything involving jumping

Aerobic activities I can do:

Exercise bike (pedaling with heels only)
Sit-ups

But, I want to do more than just cycle and I can’t really see myself doing 30 minutes of sit-ups. Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2020, 07:06 PM

10,823 posts, read 4,908,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Unfortunately, I have a chronic pain syndrome in my left shoulder and arm which makes lots of repeated motion difficult. I also have a Morton’s neuroma on my left foot that has just starting acting up again.

What I can’t do for the time being:

Run
Walk quickly (slow walking is thankfully OK)
Push my left foot or my arms through water (say in a pool).
Anything involving jumping

Aerobic activities I can do:

Exercise bike (pedaling with heels only)
Sit-ups

But, I want to do more than just cycle and I can’t really see myself doing 30 minutes of sit-ups. Ideas?
What about kickboarding (or holding onto a float) in a pool? Arms holding the float relatively still, legs doing the work...no pressure on the neuroma.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
What about kickboarding in a pool? Arms holding the board relatively still, legs doing the work...no pressure on the neuroma.
I can’t move my foot in water — it hurts the neuroma. Why, I’m not sure, but it does.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I can’t move my foot in water — it hurts the neuroma. Why, I’m not sure, but it does.
A lace-up water shoe might keep your foot from flexing as much. Have you asked a fitness trainer at a gym for suggestions? They could evaluate what motions you can do in person.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
A lace-up water shoe might keep your foot from flexing as much. Have you asked a fitness trainer at a gym for suggestions? They could evaluate what motions you can do in person.
Thanks. The water shoe is a good idea. I have really hard time buying shoes in general (I found one kind of sandal that works for me and now have something like 10 pairs in every possible color; I also couldn’t find any sneakers that fit comfortably for a number of years, before I figured out that men’s extra wide New Balance work), but maybe my feet won’t be so persnickety with shoes that will only be worn in the pool.

I haven’t been to a gym in years, and am certainly not going to start right now because you know ...

Old 06-28-2020, 03:29 PM

1,387 posts, read 680,349 times
Can you pedal a regular bike outdoors? I bought a comfort bike to ride with my kids, it’s fun. (Check out the Electra Townie...super comfy bike).

Maybe hire a trainer that can come to your house and see what you can do. Or work with a physical therapist if you aren’t already.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Maybe hire a trainer that can come to your house and see what you can do. Or work with a physical therapist if you aren’t already.
Yes. I was suggesting asking a trainer at a gym for ideas...not that you have to work out there OP! Maybe pay for one consultation to build you a workable routine.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-28-2020 at 04:57 PM..

Old 06-28-2020, 05:01 PM

5,806 posts, read 2,558,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Can you pedal a regular bike outdoors? I bought a comfort bike to ride with my kids, it’s fun. (Check out the Electra Townie...super comfy bike).

I think a cruiser or another type of bike that is designed to have you sit in a more upright position would work. I had a beach cruiser and did not use my toes to pedal. I think that would be a lot more interesting than using the indoor cycling. I quite like outdoor cycling- you can go to places, stop, sit a while, etc.

I think working with a PT might be a good idea to help get a good idea of what exercises might help. If you can get a water shoe, you might be able to do water walking as well. I had a friend with a lot of health issues who did that as her job- and you can also do that with the help of a kickboard to stabilize the upper body and add resistance.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:17 PM

5,753 posts, read 3,104,070 times
A pedal boat would allow you to exercise your legs very well, and you don't need to use the ball of your foot at all (it would only be an option to do so), nor do you need to use your arms.

https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-y1ep...00.600.JPG?c=2

Old 06-28-2020, 08:37 PM

14,768 posts, read 14,569,332 times
It is not aerobic but qi gong will improve strength, vitality, health, boost immune system, and aid in the existing conditions you mention. Positions can be tailored to sitting or standing and can easily work around other injuries.

When i was recovering from two surgeries about a year ago i started doing qi gong while i was bed bound, and it greatly helped my healing and mobility. It also quiets the mind and brings peace and calm. If a person goes through periods of illness there are positions that can be used. I have recovered from the surgeries, but i saw such positive results and benefits, i continued doing this daily and it's been over a year now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness