Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 01:39 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,045,575 times

Advertisements

How can I determine how hard a hitter I am, without getting into fights with people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 01:56 AM

252 posts, read 390,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
How can I determine how hard a hitter I am, without getting into fights with people?
Start by using "a wet paper bag"...

Old 04-29-2008, 02:26 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
I don't know where you can find a psi gauge a la Rocky IV or anything like that, but just as a word of caution, I'd avoid trying to see how hard you can punch just because it sounds like a great way to cause an injury to yourself.

Talk to a boxer and learn proper form for throwing a punch, do some bagwork, shadow box, etc and be content knowing that if need be, you know how to throw a punch. Most of the time a well executed punch is better than some gorilla going for broke swinging wildly as hard as he can.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:45 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
Have you ever hit anything before? There is a definate art to striking/hitting. Ive seen big Stone Cold Steve Austin and body building type guys who couldnt break popcorn with their punches because they didnt know how to hit. By that same token, Ive seen martial artists guys who were 120lbs transfer enough force with their strikes to K.O. anyone.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:48 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
There used to be ads in Black Belt for a gizmo you could strap around a heavy bag - I guess basically a strain gauge - and it would tell you roughly how much force you were generating.

Don't know if it's still being sold, though - haven't read that magazine in years.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
There used to be ads in Black Belt for a gizmo you could strap around a heavy bag - I guess basically a strain gauge - and it would tell you roughly how much force you were generating.

Don't know if it's still being sold, though - haven't read that magazine in years.
Those things were junk. There are waaaaaay too many variables to determine if "one can hit hard".

You need to be able to "peak" your strikes
You need to be able to coordinate all muscles in your body at that "instant"
You need to know about how to be stable. Not even Mike Tyson, George Forman or Ernie Shavers could transfer force or hit hard if they were on roller skates.
You need to understand about the density of the target youre striking
You need to understand about the distance of your impact (1/8", 1/16", 1/32", etc.).
You need to be sure you make impact at the optimal focus point which is 3/4 extension of your arm.
You need to understand how deep or shallow to strike into your target.

This is why I think 95% of the mixed martial artists are a joke. They are not high quality practitioners of their art - they are just dudes who fight and workout hard. The last of the expert mixed martial artists were Royce Gracie and Chuck Liddel. The rest of the guys are just pretenders.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Those things were junk. There are waaaaaay too many variables to determine if "one can hit hard".

You need to be able to "peak" your strikes
You need to be able to coordinate all muscles in your body at that "instant"
You need to know about how to be stable. Not even Mike Tyson, George Forman or Ernie Shavers could transfer force or hit hard if they were on roller skates.
You need to understand about the density of the target youre striking
You need to understand about the distance of your impact (1/8", 1/16", 1/32", etc.).
You need to be sure you make impact at the optimal focus point which is 3/4 extension of your arm.
You need to understand how deep or shallow to strike into your target.
Granted they weren't exactly "laboratory quality" , but they served as a rough guide.

All of the points you mention, though - wouldn't they translate into a power level readable by such a gadget?

Old 04-29-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
All of the points you mention, though - wouldn't they translate into a power level readable by such a gadget?
Actually they wouldnt. What you'd get are big guys who will try to strike "through" the target to the point where it would become more of a "push" than a "strike". Plus, because they would be trying soooo hard to hit it with all their might they would end up being jammed (too close) so once again, a push but it would "look" like it was a hard punch.

A good example I like to use involves a chopstick. If I take a chopstick, give it to Barry Bonds and tell him to swing away with all his might like its a bat and hit me with it, odds are, I may just barely feel it. However, if I take that same chopstick, give it to a little kid who is used to poking stuff with sticks and tell him to poke me with it, it would hurt much more than Bonds swinging it at me.

Its all technique. All technique. Back when I was coming up through the ranks I thought I was a tough guy because I trained at the toughest boxing gym in the toughest neighborhood when I was a kid/teenager. During one of my lessons, this tiny Chinese girl who was MAYBE 90lbs soaking wet hit me sooo hard I thought I would die. Its all technique.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:22 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
There are things called "punch pads". But if you want to practice hitting harder, hit sandbags.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:24 PM

I agree that technique is vital for power generation - and I know what you're saying about a little Chinese girl hitting hard (used to date my Sifu's daughter ).

I guess what you're saying equates to what in my style I describe as "point" versus "wave" strikes. Point strikes are like the chopstick being used for jabbing; wave strikes would be like bulldozing through the target.

Maybe I'm dense or tired or tired of being dense, but I still don't see how a strain gauge would differentiate between those two techniques. The residence time of the strike would change, certainly; but not the initial impact.

Yes? No? Maybe so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness