Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 07:38 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Well adults taking a class to learn how to ride a glorified stationary bike indoors seems a bit silly to me, but hey...you do you.
Thank you so much for your insightful post! I am so glad you took the time out of your day to give me your ****ty opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 05:57 AM

1,350 posts, read 819,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I have been looking for reviews on the other bikes and it seems Peloton always comes out on top. So the money is really not the issue.
Himain were you into spinning before?
If there aren't too many people on here that have one, I just did a search on YouTube for Peloton bike, and you can see people riding it and showing you the features, etc. Also there were a couple of 30 minute "riding" videos free on YouTube.

Since you stated money is not an issue, I am certain they have a return policy, so why not just get one?

Old 07-17-2020, 06:57 AM

4,625 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Quote:
I fully understand how expensive the Peloton is, but it seems to be it is offering something unique that is appealing to me.
And what is appealing?

The bike? It's not a great bike. Stages, Wahoo, Tacx all make better bikes

The app? It's nothing special

The ecosystem? It's a walled garden!

The bike is noting special. Lots of other companies make similar bikes for less than $1000. It doesn't have a power meter. It's a clothes rack without the application. You can't use the bike with any other program - it's really a dumb bike.
Something like the Stages SB20 or the Wahoo Bike or the Tacx Neo Bike is roughly $1000 more than the Peloton but are much better bikes. The Stages Bike has 3 power meters. The Wahoo bike simulates climbing. These work on their own and use open communications protocols so that can communicate with any app on the planet, including the Peloton app.

There's nothing unique about the application. It's just a bunch of people talking to you. That it can somehow record power out of the bike is interesting, but the power isn't necessarily correct nor is that unique.

The power is only available on the screen. The bike uses no communication protocols. There are a couple ways around that - you can install power meter pedals and you can sideload applications onto the tablet.

So you've got to ask yourself: do you want a $1000 bike with a $1000 tablet that you add $800 worth of pedals to and then break the warranty in order to get full functionality? And then pay $40/month for ever?

Or you could spend $2900 on a Stages bike and $20/month for Peloton's app if you want that (or $15/month for Zwift, or $20/mo for TrainerRoad, or $15/mo for The SufferFest, you'd have options)

Old 07-17-2020, 07:21 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
And what is appealing?

The bike? It's not a great bike. Stages, Wahoo, Tacx all make better bikes

The app? It's nothing special

The ecosystem? It's a walled garden!

The bike is noting special. Lots of other companies make similar bikes for less than $1000. It doesn't have a power meter. It's a clothes rack without the application. You can't use the bike with any other program - it's really a dumb bike.
Something like the Stages SB20 or the Wahoo Bike or the Tacx Neo Bike is roughly $1000 more than the Peloton but are much better bikes. The Stages Bike has 3 power meters. The Wahoo bike simulates climbing. These work on their own and use open communications protocols so that can communicate with any app on the planet, including the Peloton app.

There's nothing unique about the application. It's just a bunch of people talking to you. That it can somehow record power out of the bike is interesting, but the power isn't necessarily correct nor is that unique.

The power is only available on the screen. The bike uses no communication protocols. There are a couple ways around that - you can install power meter pedals and you can sideload applications onto the tablet.

So you've got to ask yourself: do you want a $1000 bike with a $1000 tablet that you add $800 worth of pedals to and then break the warranty in order to get full functionality? And then pay $40/month for ever?

Or you could spend $2900 on a Stages bike and $20/month for Peloton's app if you want that (or $15/month for Zwift, or $20/mo for TrainerRoad, or $15/mo for The SufferFest, you'd have options)
For $2900 I'd buy a Surly Cross-Check, a high quality saddle and pedals, a training stand, a music stand, a bungee cord, and a laptop to run the drill sergeant software of your choice - and I'd have a nice road bike and a laptop as well, plus probably money to spare.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:36 AM

4,625 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
For $2900 I'd buy a Surly Cross-Check, a high quality saddle and pedals, a training stand, a music stand, a bungee cord, and a laptop to run the drill sergeant software of your choice - and I'd have a nice road bike and a laptop as well, plus probably money to spare.

Sure. And I'd buy a wheel-off trainer to put my new $2k tri bike on. BUT OP says they have 3 different people to fit on this bike. Unless the 3 people are roughly the same size, a single road bike won't work, but a highly adjustable smart bike would

Old 07-17-2020, 08:58 AM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Quote:
I have been looking for reviews on the other bikes and it seems Peloton always comes out on top. So the money is really not the issue.
Himain were you into spinning before?
I spun in the gym on a semi regular basis. Was I a total dedicated person? No, but I liked the idea of having it in the house.

I used it twice. He used it 4 times and then it just sat there alone and sad so I sold it

Old 07-17-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
If there aren't too many people on here that have one, I just did a search on YouTube for Peloton bike, and you can see people riding it and showing you the features, etc. Also there were a couple of 30 minute "riding" videos free on YouTube.

Since you stated money is not an issue, I am certain they have a return policy, so why not just get one?
I think I will pull the trigger. Thanks for the Youtube idea. Even if money is not an issue, it is expensive. I just want to do my due diligence before purchasing.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I spun in the gym on a semi regular basis. Was I a total dedicated person? No, but I liked the idea of having it in the house.

I used it twice. He used it 4 times and then it just sat there alone and sad so I sold it
This is what I am afraid of! They used to have a 30 day trial period but no longer.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:31 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
If you live in a fairly metropolitan area you can easily resell it if you end up not using it. There is a Peloton Buy/Sell group on facebook and used bikes move quickly. The extended warranty doesn't transfer, but other than that, it seems like a pretty fair process.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
If you live in a fairly metropolitan area you can easily resell it if you end up not using it. There is a Peloton Buy/Sell group on facebook and used bikes move quickly. The extended warranty doesn't transfer, but other than that, it seems like a pretty fair process.
I have been thinking of looking for a used one. I will look into it.

I am not a bike geek. I do not ride outside. I have a paralyzing fear of traffic that I cannot seem to get over. A friend loaned me their extra bike for a year and I did 2 triathlons. Riding to train was a nightmare and ended up doing most of my cycling in the gym. At one point I almost bought a road bike but luckily I never did. It would sit in the garage.
Spin classes I enjoy a lot. They gave me a good workout and I do enjoy the cycling - be it indoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness