Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2020, 07:54 AM

174 posts, read 61,185 times

Advertisements

I'm a tall guy 6'5 and I have always had trouble training my chest and feeling the muscles engage.
No matter what position I try, it is the same. I swapped out dumbbell presses instead of bench press for greater range of motion. I try different seating and hand positions of fly machines at the gym. varieties of pushups, etc. I still just never feel my chest engage, it's either my arms, shoulder or back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 10:55 AM

1,976 posts, read 6,857,850 times
I am 6 ft and a wing span of 6'2" and know what you are talking about. One of the taller trainers at the gym who would also do body shows and was extremely fit (deadlift over 600 lbs/etc) had same issue himself.

Ironically, due to the lock down, I was forced to do body weight work outs and started increasing my push-ups to 35-40 reps and now I see more definition in my chest. Your results might vary.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:13 PM

174 posts, read 61,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
I am 6 ft and a wing span of 6'2" and know what you are talking about. One of the taller trainers at the gym who would also do body shows and was extremely fit (deadlift over 600 lbs/etc) had same issue himself.

Ironically, due to the lock down, I was forced to do body weight work outs and started increasing my push-ups to 35-40 reps and now I see more definition in my chest. Your results might vary.
Yeah same. Due to the lockdown, I bought gymnastic rings and that is the first time in my life I felt really felt my chest work. Hurts my wrists though holding my bodyweight with the rings.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:47 AM

387 posts, read 408,458 times
I started getting more definition when I started using push-up bars ($5 at 5Below). I'm 6'8 and my reach is 82". Trying to use different gym equipment becomes to problematic at times because once you go past 6'2" you're in a different stratosphere.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:23 PM

19,023 posts, read 27,585,087 times
I was 6'4 1/2, same story. Never had success with pecs. Anything else, no problem.

I get very good burn using rings. But that's just burns.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:41 PM

9,383 posts, read 8,356,698 times
I am taller but not that tall. I have to mix in a high rep, lower weight workout to really get a good pump in my chest. Just going heavy all the time doesn't work with my chest as it does with other body parts for me (legs, back, for example). I gave up bench press as well as it gave me bad ROM and I constantly had shoulder pain. I go dumbbell (flat, incline, 4 sets each), an incline machine that I love, then I do cable crossovers to finish out with the pins at the highest level for a decline movement.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:29 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterplease909 View Post
I'm a tall guy 6'5 and I have always had trouble training my chest and feeling the muscles engage.
No matter what position I try, it is the same. I swapped out dumbbell presses instead of bench press for greater range of motion. I try different seating and hand positions of fly machines at the gym. varieties of pushups, etc. I still just never feel my chest engage, it's either my arms, shoulder or back.
I'm 6'4". I could never develop my chest by only using bench presses. The pec deck machine is what made a difference for me. The key is using a minimal range of motion and squeezing the handles together slowly. A wide range of motion and jerking the weight will result in shoulder injuries. I love the machines that are combination pec deck and rear delt machines.

I also do some cable flies and weighted dips. I don't think cable flies are as effective and usually do them when I'm at a gym that doesn't have a pec deck machine. I don't do dumbbell bench presses, I found I needed a couple of spotters to do them effectively. Pushups are also ineffective and I only do them when I don't have access to weights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness