Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 11:37 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times

Advertisements

MrRational, you may know, but Tae Kwon Do has Shotokan as one of its roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2020, 05:18 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Qi gong

Old 09-06-2020, 05:24 PM

Tzaphkiel, do your thing, my brother! Thank you for sharing!!

Old 09-06-2020, 07:03 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Yang Style Taiji - Sifu
Kenpo Karate - Sensei
Wing Chun - Instructor

Also train(ed) in other martial arts - Silat, Escrima and Xing-I.

Old 09-16-2020, 07:27 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,639,042 times
Before MMA became a thing I was doing Okinawan karate as kid.

I saw the movie "Bloodsport" and then played the Street Fighter 2 video game and I was so hooked on the various different styles of martial arts.

I took wrestling in high school and learned catch wrestling.

Eventually I went into the realm of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu then got into MMA. And now I do MMA mostly.

However, I do appreciate doing many styles of martial arts. For me, when it comes to kicks and dexterity of the legs, Tae Kwon Do is possibly the best. No other martial art (from my experience) has made my legs work like arms. When it comes to the hands, I would not recommend TKD but if you want to take your kicks to the next level and implement them into other martial arts, I think TKD is terribly underrated with that.

As for the hands, I have to say boxing. Simply because of the head movement and footwork. Muay Thai is evolving in that Muay Thai and kickboxers are now implementing boxing footwork and head movement but at one point, Muay Thai and kick boxing was more on a forward line. Where boxing is about cutting angles and utilizing head movement to dodge attacks.

As for timing and getting in-and-out, karate (kyokushin) has been my favorite. I love practicing calculating my opponents next move, hitting them and then moving right out the way.

These are just my thoughts though.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:20 AM

Lital_The_Best, good morning and thank you for sharing.

Wow, you have a very diverse background, and knowledge!

Good to hear from you.

I started Tae Kwon Do in Milwaukee, Wi in 1995. Currently I teach, for the past 18 years, and love it.

Old 09-17-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Lital_The_Best, good morning and thank you for sharing.

Wow, you have a very diverse background, and knowledge!

Good to hear from you.

I started Tae Kwon Do in Milwaukee, Wi in 1995. Currently I teach, for the past 18 years, and love it.
Thank you sir.

I'm glad you're still teaching and keeping TKD alive and well in Milwaukee! Maybe if I am ever around Milwaukee, I'll stop by!

Old 09-17-2020, 07:25 AM

Lital_The_Best, my door is always open to you or anyone interested. I teach Monday and Wednesday evenings through the Milwaukee Recreation Department. ( I once ran 2 dojang but it was my full-time job PLUS my day full-time job as a Social Worker was too much)...

A month or so ago I went to visit a karate dojo in Chicago. I was out riding my bike, saw the dojo, and stopped in to pay my respects because I had seen his school do performances at a Polish fest.

He invited me to watch a class, and then out of the blue called me on the floor. I thought he was just going to introduce me to his class, but he had me participate!!

So YES, anyone is always welcome to join in on a class as MY guests!

Old 09-18-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Lital_The_Best, my door is always open to you or anyone interested. I teach Monday and Wednesday evenings through the Milwaukee Recreation Department. ( I once ran 2 dojang but it was my full-time job PLUS my day full-time job as a Social Worker was too much)...

A month or so ago I went to visit a karate dojo in Chicago. I was out riding my bike, saw the dojo, and stopped in to pay my respects because I had seen his school do performances at a Polish fest.

He invited me to watch a class, and then out of the blue called me on the floor. I thought he was just going to introduce me to his class, but he had me participate!!

So YES, anyone is always welcome to join in on a class as MY guests!
Awesome man!

Old 11-14-2020, 02:01 AM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times
Quote:
MrRational, you may know, but Tae Kwon Do has Shotokan as one of its roots.
Didn't General Choi have a black belt in Shotokan or another Japanese Karate? IIRC, he didn't admit to it. Also, IIRC, he responded "no one" when asked about who influenced him. He learned hand techniques from Japanese Karate instructors (I think), and kicking techniques from instructors of a Korean kicking art that precedes Taekwondo. I forget the name of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
...I took wrestling in high school and learned catch wrestling.

Eventually I went into the realm of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu then got into MMA. And now I do MMA mostly.

However, I do appreciate doing many styles of martial arts. For me, when it comes to kicks and dexterity of the legs, Tae Kwon Do is possibly the best. No other martial art (from my experience) has made my legs work like arms. When it comes to the hands, I would not recommend TKD but if you want to take your kicks to the next level and implement them into other martial arts, I think TKD is terribly underrated with that...
Above post abbreviated for sake of brevity.

Doesn't catch wrestling negate the need for BJJ? Not sure. A Japanese guy (Sakuraba?) is a catch wrestler who beat two high level Gracie fighters.

I wonder if a Taekwondo expert would teach kicking techniques only and outside of a Taekwondo curriculum for people who want to incorporate kicks into their MMA or other martial arts training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness