Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2020, 06:30 PM

109 posts, read 83,307 times

Advertisements

Before the pandemic, I was trying some BJJ classes, and definitely loved it. Good gym atmosphere, plenty of interesting techniques and something I felt like adding to Karate which I was also trying at the time. but then the lockdowns started...

At least where I am in California right now, martial arts gyms seem to be opening again along with movie theaters and restaurants. My old place I used to go to seems to be operating as usual. I'm finishing training to be an EMT, and after doing the national test and getting my license I'll be moving to another area where there is a 911 service I want to work for. Unlike IFT(inter-facility transport) which is transporting between hospitals and care homes/dialysis centers/etc, 911 services is where the stuff of trauma and interventions comes into play. And with it exposure to potentially dangerous situations, as it's more common for EMS personnel to be attacked.

With this in mind, I have wondered about training again. I knew I'd look into Karate since that could be socially distanced to an extent, but at least some BJJ classes are still going on too. While part of me misses training like all of us do, another part of me wonders that having some self defense training might be useful in case **** hits the fan. To be clear, I know EMS responders aren't cops, and in training it is constantly said to vacate an unsafe scene, but as you can see from the link, **** happens.

But, especially if I'm going to be a healthcare worker, I don't want to set a bad example or even risking any patients I encounter who are immunocompromised, but if a physical altercation does occur, basic grappling skills seem useful while still not trying to actively cause harm. Being attacked isn't too big a concern, but also may not be something I want to dismiss entirely. Thoughts?

https://www.reliasmedia.com/articles...0all%20workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 07:18 PM

285 posts, read 204,342 times
Do it if you're interested in it as a hobby. I wouldn't try justifying it for your line of work even if you do run the slim chance of needing it while working or while dealing with patients. With that line of thinking, it might subconsciously run the risk of encouraging you to react in a certain way that could incur a lawsuit. I'm not saying this is what will happen but it's just better keeping your hobby or martial arts discipline separate from your work in the event something goes seriously wrong. Don't mix the two.

I've also been interested in taking up martial arts also in the past year or so but I recently moved and am still getting used to my neighbourhood when Covid hit. I think there should be classes available online also if you're very interested and not open to going to one in person. I haven't looked this up because I've been so busy lately but I'm interested too.

Old 10-09-2020, 09:05 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times
Do what you want and what you think is best.

But I'll leave you with this: There's NO social distancing if you get into a real fight.

Old 10-11-2020, 01:04 AM

434 posts, read 248,137 times
I'm missing grappling aswell, but I've got a baby & his grandparents are covering childcare so zero chance of me raising the risk.

I figure 6-9 months before it's safe to start again isn't that much time & then it'll be back

If your looking for a replacement in the short term I'd recommend bouldering. It reminds me more of "solo bjj" then anything else I've tried the same problem solving with your body and technique but up against a wall rather then opponeny. The grip strength is massively transferable to bjj as is the balance, flexiablity and upper body strength.

Old 10-11-2020, 12:04 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
I been out of it since this whole virus thing start, brown belt, hoping for a black belt by next summer, well, that is not happening, lol.

As far as your question, I would not really put your own life on hold, I mean if you yourself want to take precautions about the virus, that is cool, but I would not do so due to your position, I mean even getting the flu is a risk and you can give it to your patients, and as we all know, the flu does kill thousands a year as well, and the vaccines are not all that effective any given year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness