Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 01:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

I don't know about you, but I don't like exercising for exercise's sake. Don't get me wrong, I like some physical activity, but not structured workouts alone.

It took me a long time to figure out my exercise preferences and goals, and what I found is that I could work it in via 3 buckets:
  • free exercise
  • exercise in a class/social setting
  • quiet time exercise

Free exercise is activity that comes as a part of some other activity I want or need to do. For example over the past few years I have had active commutes. I either walked or biked the whole way. Or I took transit and there was a good amount of walking at either end. Or I could throw in a walk at either end when I felt like it. The weekend version would look like biking to an activity with friends. Or walking around at a museum, or to hang out in a new neighborhood. Most of my grocery shopping and similar errands also happened en route to one of these destinations.

Exercise in a class/social setting is more obvious, I do not like exercising at home. I don't have a lot of stuff, my apartment is small, it gets hot. It really isn't a great place to workout. Sure I might pull out my yoga mat on occasion, but other than that no. A lot of this has to do with the fact I am not a homebody. I like to be out and about. In the before times I took a weightlifting class a couple days a week and some yoga classes as well. I had also done various other classes based on my mood over the years.

Quiet time exercise was the least common for me, but it was really a break from people time. I am extroverted, but sometimes of course we all need quiet time. Anyway this might take the form of a walk where I listen to a bunch of podcast or a bike ride to a random neighborhood to check out the coffee shop or farmers market or whatever.

So when you look at my exercise preferences, and consider I live in a state that is still fairly closed, my activity level has tanked completely. I started a new job right before the pandemic started, and I was really excited about the commute - biking or walking. I got laid off earlier in the year, and that place was in biking distance, and I occasionally took the scenic walk home as well. And of course all of my classes were available.

And now I have to work from home, I can't really see people for various reasons (pods aren't that safe for me, because my sister is immune-compromised as a cancer survivor). The places I usually go and have an excuse for activity aren't open. And I can't really go anywhere! I do not do well in heat (I get heat rash) so I do not like to do strenuous stuff outside - and my normally mild city has has had the hottest year ever. And wildfires have killed the air quality for some weeks. And to top it off, I have had a whole host of ailments this year (likely stress related) that have limited my activity options.

I am not at the point of the pandemic, it looks like this life is going to be way more permanent. My office is closed for another 6 months. And I am not going to get my free exercise back any time soon.

Things are finally ever so slightly improving. My weightlifting gym reopened with outside only workouts. But my body is definitely irritated with the off and on activity! This week I felt so much sympathy for people with mobility issues. I have had back pain over the past week, which I have now figured out is related to tight hip flexors. I went for a walk and my back was absolutely killing me. It was terrible! When I got home I tried some yoga and it helped. And today when I went for a walk to a doctors appt (free exercise!!!!) the pain had subsided by 75%.Hopefully that means I only have another day or two for normal mobility to return. But it would definitely be impossible to "get off the couch" if that is how you felt every time.

And now I am back to figuring out what I can do while stuck at home.

*** I hate videos, online classes, etc - I end up getting distracted and find it hard to follow along, that is why I go in person. So for now the goal is the schedule it in, before I start working for the day...and figure out the right manageable chunks. And since things are opening a little bit more, it makes sense to use going out for lunch as an excuse to get some exercise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2020, 08:58 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Struggling? No.
I have few basics at home (bike, rowing machine, AB trainer, jump rope, and elliptical machine). Also a regular bicycle.
Exercising isn't a chore. Some I do while watching TV or listening to music or podcast. It's getting cooler here in Texas and I got my bicycle ready to go on trails. Pandemic is not hindering me at all.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:26 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Definitely struggling. I was going to the gym 3-4 times a week before the pandemic. I've tried going back but I'm not confidant that it is safe despite the gym saying it is. I've been back maybe 5 times since they reopened. I never see staff do any cleaning other than vacuuming the floor. I never see them sanitizing equipment or anything. Members wipe down the seat but not all of them wipe down the parts that are touched by people's hands and I doubt the stuff in the spray bottles is really doing the job.

It's usually too hot here to do much exercising outdoors. I have my one daily walk with my dog around sunset and that's been it. I've put on 10 pounds since this pandemic started. I can't wait for life to go back to normal.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:45 AM

3,060 posts, read 2,037,588 times
OP I suggest you compromise and find a "live" Zoom exercise class you can take until covid makes in-person a possibility.
My spouse does Pilates real-time by Zoom in a small class. We moved last year and he really missed his in-person Pilates on machines so takes a Pilates mat class on Zoom 2x a week. Keeps his body feeling good and very good for him mentally. He does miss using the machines and is looking forward to someday getting back to that.

Over the years (65 now) I have tried so many in-person group exercises. I hate them all except for yoga with a good instructor. So I found some gentle yoga on youtube and OMG hated the first 5 times I did it until finally hated it less. I take about 4 20 minutes walks a week, up and down hills (not mountains) in my neighborhood.

I can also suggest bicycling and gardening as good cardio boosters.
Look around you'll find ways to exercise in your own space safely.

edit to add: I joined Planet Fitness in January pre-covid and immediately got sick which I know was caused by man on machine next to me coughing in my direction, no hand over his mouth. After I got better I never went back due to covid and cancelled my membership.

another add: OP your apartment is small and hot so maybe do your Zoom class outdoors until weather makes it impossible. With technology you can ZOOM with iPad and earbuds almost anywhere, spouse puts his Ipad on a $20 stand so he can see what instructor is doing and wears earbuds so I am not annoyed by sound.

Last edited by twinkletwinkle22; 10-19-2020 at 07:57 AM..

Old 10-19-2020, 07:57 AM

416 posts, read 409,108 times
Struggling is an understatement. I even have a decent home setup and am still avoiding it. Think that mid Covid some depression/anxiety kicked in and motivation disappeared. Time to get serious again - Covid has another 6-12 months and can’t keep using it as an excuse. That said, going to go row now before the self-guilt wears off.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:31 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
Yes. I use a goal list and reward system to get past my excuses.

My goal sheet has daily, weekly, and monthly goals. It's not fancy. I use my day planner (using phone or online makes it too easy for me to get distracted). I simply jot down what I did and a positive. The positive could be something like shaving off time, lifting a higher weight, or even something like, I didn't want to do it and I did it anyway. Good for me.

My reward is usually screen time. Right now, I am into paranormal shows. It's a sickness and a time-waster. Uggh. So my reward is usually an hour of guilt-free indulgence in watching bad ghost shows.

FWiW, I love swimming and water workouts. Man, do I miss them.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
OP I suggest you compromise and find a "live" Zoom exercise class you can take until covid makes in-person a possibility.
My spouse does Pilates real-time by Zoom in a small class. We moved last year and he really missed his in-person Pilates on machines so takes a Pilates mat class on Zoom 2x a week. Keeps his body feeling good and very good for him mentally. He does miss using the machines and is looking forward to someday getting back to that.
I am really not a fan of any form of video workout. It is hard for me to focus or something when it is on the screen. Probably because my work day to day is on the screen as well. I have tried over the years to DVDs and YouTube videos, etc. It is all the same and just doesn't work for me.

When the heat waves finally end (I hope) I can try to exercise in my apartment, but it has been a struggle so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
Struggling is an understatement. I even have a decent home setup and am still avoiding it. Think that mid Covid some depression/anxiety kicked in and motivation disappeared. Time to get serious again - Covid has another 6-12 months and can’t keep using it as an excuse. That said, going to go row now before the self-guilt wears off.
Totally! Covid is really depressing! I am much more motivated when I have sufficient people time to recharge!

I am really happy that my classes have resumed! It is totally helping me with mood and motivation - as it offers some normalcy. I am also realizing I will need to dig in, as it is not likely I'll be going back to the office any sooner than 6 months from now. And my body has reached its limit on this lack of normal activity.

Hoping the change in seasons will help! I have also boosted my vitamin D to see if that will help with mood!

Old 10-26-2020, 06:38 AM

8 posts, read 27,611 times
My solution is running and cycling

Old 10-26-2020, 07:15 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
The only thing Im struggling with, is the ignorance and selfishness of the gym members here in Ocala, Florida. About 1 out of every 25 has a mask on. Of course most people don't have then on except in some stores, so who knows where these gym members have been outside of the gym. All I know is I don't want them near me, and do my best to avoid them. I don't give a rat's rear end how it sounds. I am not impressed with much of the population in Florida. I really don't care if all those that don't wear a mask in public get a good case of Covid.

Otherwise I started back at the gym in early June. They were allowed to reopen the end of May in Fla. It was fine the first month or so. The gym required masks but didn't enforce it. Eventually it became a haven for the No wear a mask crowd.

Personally I enjoy the gym always have. Sadly I'm not really comfortable going in Florida. Still I need to go and will continue.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:14 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Definitely struggling! Fortunately I finally found a pair of dumbbells on Craigslist. Not sufficient, and too light... but something. These I keep at the office, and use throughout the day. This is complemented by a public park, where the outdoor equipment is technically cordoned-off, but the tape has long been torn off. There is a chin-up bar and a set of bars useful for dips. And then there's the redoubtable stand-by: push-ups.

Some day, some day, I'll get my hands on a proper barbell again, with plate after plate of 45s. Some day!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness