U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 12:39 PM

6,241 posts, read 5,441,339 times

Advertisements

People go to a GYM to be seen. Most if not all can run in place at home.
I would bet that those working out at home wear sweatpants not skin tight yoga pants.
I live in wine country and I see people running the main highways, Why? "TO BE SEEN". There are millions of back roads to run but no one will see you there but the locals that live there.
There is a GYM in the same courtyard as Starbucks and there is a constant parade of people mostly women in starbucks drinking what they just burned off at the GYM.
When I did my running I found back roads and side streets, it was far safer and more interesting. Seems to me that if a woman wants the exercise you do not need a GYM to do it.
Group coaching may well become a thing of the past but with I phones one can have a personal trainer anywhere.
IMO , if a woman is looking for a man do sports.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 04:04 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,167,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewel City Joe View Post
@Reebo

Sorry you are so offended/reactionary. There is nothing accusatory in that post at all. (not to mention it having been directed to the OP)

In my town the YMCA has been full of women since I was a kid. The YWCA had always been
female including the custodians. Then by the mid 1990's the YWCA closed as young women
only wanted to be at the YMCA. (for whatever their motives)

Care to explain why this is?
I couldn't tell you as I haven't spoken to a relevant proportion of the women who used to go to the YWCA and now want to go to the YMCA.

And you know what? You can't either. You only think you know.

I'm not offended or reactionary. If you want only the OP to reply to your post, PM them.

Old 11-19-2020, 04:09 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,167,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I would bet that those working out at home wear sweatpants not skin tight yoga pants.
I live in wine country and I see people running the main highways, Why? "TO BE SEEN". There are millions of back roads to run but no one will see you there but the locals that live there.
There is a GYM in the same courtyard as Starbucks and there is a constant parade of people mostly women in starbucks drinking what they just burned off at the GYM.
When I did my running I found back roads and side streets, it was far safer and more interesting. Seems to me that if a woman wants the exercise you do not need a GYM to do it.
Group coaching may well become a thing of the past but with I phones one can have a personal trainer anywhere.
Cool, another man who thinks he knows why women do what they do.

I work out at home since covid closed my gym. I wear the same things at home I did at the gym--yoga pants, jog bra, tank top.

And most people who frequent a gym do more than "run in place." Weight lifting, cycle classes, etc.

Many women will not run alone on backroads.

Old 11-19-2020, 04:25 PM

13,139 posts, read 11,976,992 times
Quote:
What?I don't go to the gym to be seen. I go to the gym to workout. I also don't run. When I workout at home, I wear the same clothes I wear to the gym. No difference.

I also live in wine country and have a ton of runners. None of them are running to be seen. I know some of them. They are running for exercise. My 76 and 72 year old neighbors are not running to be seen. They're running for exercise and to improve their bones. They don't care who sees them!

Old 11-19-2020, 07:22 PM

5,954 posts, read 8,081,065 times
Quote:
Lots of assumptions there. I don't dress the way the OP asked about nor am I in that age group, but I go to a gym to work with a personal trainer because I personally get a much better workout that way then if I did it alone at home. Plus, they have equipment I don't have at home, too.

But if I want to run I would prefer to do it outside, not at a gym - treadmill running is pretty awful to me. But some people like it - they can zone out to TV or they can stay out of bad weather, or run when it is dark outside while not worrying about safety issues, etc.

I do sometimes see some young people at the gym that seem to be interested in trying to meet people or interact with friends, etc., but most folks at the gym are minding their own business and just working out, period.

Re: the clothing choices, I do think young women can sometimes be naive about how others might interpret their choices, etc., but as someone who works with teenagers all the time I know for a fact that the majority of girls dressing "sexy" or in a distracting way aren't doing it with the express intention of attracting a male. A few, or occasionally, yes - I am not saying never. But, it usually is something more along the lines of trying to 'fit in' with peers or just thinking that's what is comfortable for the circumstances (working out it gets hot).If wearing a gray potato sack were what was in and what Kim Kardashian was selling and wearing, then some of these same girls would be wearing that. Sometimes they dress that way because that is what they think shows that they are fit and that builds their confidence and helps them to feel they belong there at the gym - i.e. they are trying to present themselves as an athlete by showing their muscle tone. A lot of young women do not yet have the level of social maturity or experience to be able to put themselves in the mind of someone else not like themselves to see how their choices might be interpreted in some other more devious/dark way than what they intend.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:09 PM

3,597 posts, read 2,567,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Where did you get this superpower that gives you the ability to discern what a woman likes to do from the way she dresses at the gym?
probably the same superpower that gives women the ability to judge a man's worthiness to society based on the car he drives, or clothes he wears, or his height.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Actually it is a big deal because it adds to centuries long sexism and the policing of women 's bodies. We live in a world where people think rape is connected to how a woman is dressed.

These women were in a gym minding their business and the OP felt a need to start a thread. So the problem continues to exist. We have to fight against it.

I've seen men in all sorts of immodest dress but no one starts threads about that.
start one then if it bothers you that much.

But remember:men have free will to decide how they want to dress. They are adults making choices. What's your problem with that? If they want to show some skin, that's their business. Right? WHY DO YOU WANT PEOPLE TO POLICE THE MALE BODY?????

Old 11-19-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Women have free will to decide how they want to dress. They are adults making choices. What's your problem with that? If they want to show some skin, that's their business.

STOP POLICING THE FEMALE BODY!
Preach!! Women are SO oppressed these days!! It's a miracle they don't get stoned to death for just going to the gym and taking off their burqas!!

Old 11-19-2020, 08:30 PM

5,906 posts, read 7,274,622 times
Quote:
We probably live in the same wine country. I used to run on streets and dirt roads back when I ran. When I get dressed to ride my Peloton I wear my leggings and a sports bra and tank top. These are comfortable for movement and sweating.
I also LOVED working out at my gym. COVID killed that, but I would go back in a heartbeat. I never went to be seen. I went to workout.

Why so judgy?

Old 11-19-2020, 09:34 PM

86,849 posts, read 80,106,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Just because YOU don't have the body to be able to wear tight fitting clothing or because YOU don't feel comfortable going to a nightclub or because YOU are insecure about yourself does not warrant your uber-judgey-ness of those who do.

My goodness.

I'm talking about workout clothes for the gym, not going out at night, or even casual daytime dressing. Jeans that are tight aren't comfortable for working out at the gym; too restrictive. Isn't that what the thread topic is about--clothes for the gym? That has no bearing on what my preferences are outside the gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or