Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:22 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,312,198 times

Advertisements

I used to drink soda and juice all day but I've made the switch to water. Everyone always says that drinking water is essential in order to lose weight and be healthy but lately I've been wondering if I'm drinking too much water.

I'm drinking these 25 oz. bottles of water they give out free at my job and I usually go through about 5 or 6 while I'm at work plus I drink a 8oz glass when I wake up before I eat breakfast, I take a 32 water bottle to the gym with me on M-W-F and usually thats empty by the time I get to work, when I get home I drink before I eat my and I may get up during the night if I have dry mouth. I do drink fruit juice with my lunch or dinner.

But lately I've notice I hardly ever have an appetite and I'm constantly going to the bathroom. And the water makes me feel bloated. But I've kinda gotten addicted to it, especially at work. I'll down a bottle without even thinking about it because it's become a habit.

Anyone want to shed some light on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 01:45 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,937,075 times
Are you drinking so much water because you are constantly thiristy? If so, and you are always urinating frequently, these may be signs of diabetes.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:49 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,140,518 times
I'm wondering myself, i drink tons of water while sitting at my desk at work, plust water at the gym, just like you. Besides that, i drink coffee, so i drink a lot LOL.

At some point, water becomes toxic to your body, but i'm not sure what point is that. Someone posted an artice somewhere around here (?) about water not being all the "have to have" daily, but who knows. I would like to hear what experts have to say on this subject.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Are you drinking so much water because you are constantly thiristy? If so, and you are always urinating frequently, these may be signs of diabetes.
Actually it’s quite the opposite. I drink just to drink. I used to munch all through the day: chips, cookies, candy, pretzels and lots and lots of soda. I’d drink 3 or 4 cans of soda while at my desk and then get a soda with my supersized fish fillet lunch and then go home and drink more soda, juice or kool-aid. So when I started drinking water I had to force myself to drink it because I was way below my 64 oz or whatever the magic number is but now I think I’m just drinking it out of habit and I've noticed a decline in my appetite, it's gotten to the point where I'm not even hungry when I eat and I rarely finish all of my food because I feel full all of the time. I just didn't think that was normal.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:57 PM

739 posts, read 2,176,331 times
Unless you live in the desert that's a lot of water. I say that because I used to live in the desert and I needed that much water there.

You can possibly overdose from too much water. It happens sometimes in police training academies, military boot camp, etc.

Like dorado, I'm concerned that you might need to talk to a doctor about diabetes. Or, a dry mouth feeling from gum disease if you're not brushing and flossing.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:00 PM

739 posts, read 2,176,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I'm not even hungry when I eat and I rarely finish all of my food because I feel full all of the time. I just didn't think that was normal.
Anorexia came to mind. Or, just evolving toward a healthier relationship with food after giving up all the junk food.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:01 PM

879 posts, read 2,867,542 times
You can drink too much water....if you try to live on water rather than eating a well balanced meal you will flush the electolytes from your body. You can go into a coma and you can die. The first thing is that you will feel sick and most likely faint.

64 oz. of water isn't so much...it's like eight 8 oz. glasses of water a day which is the recommended amount of water we all should consume.

I personally drink about 8-10 16 oz. bottles per day plus a couple of 20 oz. latte's. But I also eat. I'm healthy (I get regular physicals) but I like water.
I found that learning to drink water leads to WANTING water.

If your drinking water because your actually thristy all of the time and you weren't before, then you might want to have a blood test. If your drinking water just because you like water I wouldn't worry about it. If you start drinking gallons of water, then worry...

Last edited by mrschilicook; 05-07-2008 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 05-07-2008, 02:05 PM

249 posts, read 608,022 times
Hyponatremia.

And yes.... it can kill you.

Excess water without electrolyte replenishment has all kinds of potential nasty consequences.

Sodium - potassium exchange and sodium - calcium exchange are critical bio-chemical functions. Diluting your body with excess water and not enough replenishment of one of these minerals can induce severe muscle cramps on the basic level or cardiac arrest in severe cases.

If you're gonna drink that much water, would probably be a good idea to mix in some gatorade, powerade, colloidal mineral supplement, etc.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
If your drinking water because your actually thristy all of the time and you weren't before, then you might want to have a blood test. If your drinking water just because you like water I wouldn't worry about it. If you start drinking gallons of water, then worry...
No I'm not really thristy I just want water. I gained so much weight because I have a problem with moderation. I couldn't have a bowl of ice cream I'd eat the whole cartoon, or a little chips I'd eat the whole bag. Now I think water has become my latest vice.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:48 PM

188 posts, read 546,871 times
Yes, drinking to much water can be dangerous due to the dilution/flushing of electrolytes. But I'd assume you'll feel sick when it does. If you start to get dizzy, drink some Gatorade, or something with some sodium in it.

Soda and juice are well over 95% water anyway, so you might just supplement your "pure" water intake with some juice, soda, or sport drinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness