Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 05:26 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times

Advertisements

It's more than just your last meal sustaining you until the next one. The fewer times your insulin spikes (as a response to eating something), the less hunger you will experience. I don't even notice until about the 18th or 19th hour when my stomach starts growling and, even then, it's no big deal to wait till the 20th hour to eat.

Last edited by otterhere; 02-16-2021 at 05:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 05:52 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Back in good old 2019 my husband and I decided to try Intermittent Fasting, as a sort of last ditch approach to losing some weight. Now that middle age is setting in, we'd almost resigned ourselves to thinking carrying extra weight was going to be the norm. Then we started IF.

By the end of 2019 hubby had lost 60 lbs easily, by doing some weekly OMAD's with some 20:4 thrown in, and walking 6 miles a day. Same with me both the walking 6 miles daily, and the OMADs and 20:4,only I lost 30 lbs. Both of us were the healthiest we've been since high school, weight wise and just health in general. We looked and felt better than ever.

Visiting our hometown over the Christmas holidays in 2019 we gained a tiny bit of weight, and then we went into the 2020 Covid-19 madness. Working from home. Kids home with us 24/7. Harder to get to the store, more stress etc. Fast forward to 2021.

So yeah we've gained some weight back. Not all of it, but more than we'd like to admit. Back to IF starting February 1st. Doing OMADs again. Trying to walk as much as we can, aiming for 3 miles or more a day, the snow on the ground makes it tougher to get the 6 miles in, as well as the less daylight hours, but that will change in March.

We have tried everything, low carb, pills, shakes, etc and IF has worked the best and been the easiest to maintain. It works for us!
Would you say you ate your usual day's calories in your OMADs or less? Just curious.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:47 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
Going on 2 years with this. INCREDIBLE Results but takes discipline . 225lbs to a ripped 150. I am a male nearly 52 yrs old with a 12 pack stomach !

I eat twice a day:

First Meal - Fruit , Yogurt , Muffin/bread, dried fruit BIG PLATE
Second Meal- COMPLETE MEAL - IE. Chicken Breast,Rice, Salad, slice of bread

Second meal eaten at roughly 4pm no later then NOTHING but maybe a few handfuls of popcorn or a rice cake or two at 9/10pm until the next morning then repeat cycle.

Notice I get EVERYTHING you need in those two meals.....fruit, veggies , protein, carbs. Its all taken care of therefore you really don't NEED anything else except maybe to alter the portion sizes relevant to your activity level that day.

Now the logic. When get a blood test you fast for 12 hrs. WHY ? Because your body needs a minimum of 12hrs to digest your food. 4pm until 4am is 12 hours. A few more hours and you are up for breakfast. If you do that everyday you start the day on EMPTY and you end on ALMOST EMPTY. YOU USE what you put in. Excess gas spills onto the pavement if you overfill your gas tank. With food it shows on the belly....not the pavement.

Most people eat too much of which they never use or digest and they keep piling onto it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the results.

Food is fuel PERIOD . Don't confuse it with the BUSINESS of food. It can taste good it can be a fun social experience but in reality FOOD IS an energy source for your machine. EMOTIONAL eating will drag you down as well as eating for entertainment . Find a different hobby

Old 02-17-2021, 02:05 AM

24,625 posts, read 9,454,674 times
I go on and off it periodically or when needed (sometimes I'm weight training and im trying to gain weight, other times im trying to lose fat)

It truly does change your life when you understand how it works, essentially you're using your sleep schedule to restrict your caloric intake and insulin levels. I stop eating around 7pm and don't start until lunch the next day. That's it, that simple.

Yes there are hunger pangs at first, but once your body adjusts, it's great. Obesity would be cured in a few years if people understood and implemented IF.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:36 AM

4 posts, read 2,319 times
I have done twice a day but i try to avoid carbs.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:35 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Working from home definitely gives you the chance to do fasting. Working in the office gives you too many opportunities to snack. There's never ending amounts of donuts, snacks, bagels, etc laying around.

Since doing IF & eating Ketogenic diet. Weight loss is easy. The only thing I do is checking my only meal to ensure I got enough minerals covered.

I do occasionally make bone broth, it's incredibly easy and cheap and gives you the potassium you need to keep you going.

Old 05-28-2021, 02:32 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,954,574 times
I'm getting ready to adjust my diet/exercise routine to include fasting, didn't want to start a new thread.

I'm a hard gainer, but I develop a bit of "skinny fat" if I let my diet and exercise slip. At 6' and 165lbs I'd like a few more lbs of muscle and just a bit less fat around my flank area.

My plan is to continue to eat clean in a bit of a calorie surplus with high protein during the week. On Sundays I want to do a full day fast and also hit cardio (rowing machine) hard that day.

I'm hoping by introducing the fast I'll be able to grow muscle while also giving a period to burn fat. I know a lot of people "bulk in the winter and cut in the spring"... I'm not that dedicated lol

Old 05-28-2021, 03:59 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
I'm getting ready to adjust my diet/exercise routine to include fasting, didn't want to start a new thread.

I'm a hard gainer, but I develop a bit of "skinny fat" if I let my diet and exercise slip. At 6' and 165lbs I'd like a few more lbs of muscle and just a bit less fat around my flank area.

My plan is to continue to eat clean in a bit of a calorie surplus with high protein during the week. On Sundays I want to do a full day fast and also hit cardio (rowing machine) hard that day.

I'm hoping by introducing the fast I'll be able to grow muscle while also giving a period to burn fat. I know a lot of people "bulk in the winter and cut in the spring"... I'm not that dedicated lol
No, you don't want to bulk up and then cut.

But you didn't say anything about resistance training, and without resistance training your plan won't work. You will have to do resistance training, and do it hard.

All my life I've thought I was a hardgainer, but here I am in my late 60s getting better gains than I did 40 years ago...and it's simply because I had never eaten enough protein and truly worked hard enough.

Old 05-28-2021, 05:59 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Default Works the opposite for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Working from home definitely gives you the chance to do fasting. Working in the office gives you too many opportunities to snack. There's never ending amounts of donuts, snacks, bagels, etc laying around.

Since doing IF & eating Ketogenic diet. Weight loss is easy. The only thing I do is checking my only meal to ensure I got enough minerals covered.

I do occasionally make bone broth, it's incredibly easy and cheap and gives you the potassium you need to keep you going.
I'm better in the office. Most here don't like to eat in the office so we have very little.

At home, I snack though and I get mad at myself.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Do resisitance training 3x / week minimum if you want to make lasting progress during this experiment.

Count your calories and keep a deficit on intake.
Shift your eating to be done 4-6 hrs before bedtime, and eat 4+ hrs after you get up the next day (exercising before eating)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness