Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 10:50 AM

265 posts, read 238,598 times

Advertisements

Hi, my gym requires that you wear a mask at all times. That is ok with me, it just bothers me when I am running, and it gets worse as I sweat and time passes. It has gotten to the point where I have to stop running and walk. I tried two mask types so far, the disposable 1 time use, and another mask with a filter. The one with the filter works better so far, but how I said, the more I sweat and time goes by it begins to bother me causing me to stop to breath better.

What mask would you recommend for running, I am looking online but I figured I would ask here too. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 01:09 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
Hi, my gym requires that you wear a mask at all times. That is ok with me, it just bothers me when I am running, and it gets worse as I sweat and time passes. It has gotten to the point where I have to stop running and walk. I tried two mask types so far, the disposable 1 time use, and another mask with a filter. The one with the filter works better so far, but how I said, the more I sweat and time goes by it begins to bother me causing me to stop to breath better.

What mask would you recommend for running, I am looking online but I figured I would ask here too. Thanks.
I really have no advice as to what type of mask to wear...but masks suck period when working out. It's pure torture. It shouldn't be a requirement. I would just suggest wearing it below your nose... it makes it a little more bearable.

Old 02-26-2021, 03:08 PM

265 posts, read 238,598 times
It has to cover nose and mouth at all times.

Old 02-26-2021, 05:34 PM

1,462 posts, read 971,691 times
I run outside so I do not use a mask so unable to help. Also, not sure what part of the country you are in, but in SoCal, the weather is usually nice enough for running outside.

Doing a quick search the link below identifies some masks for running. They may be an option for you.

https://www.runnersworld.com/gear/a3...s-for-runners/

Old 02-27-2021, 10:29 AM

22,314 posts, read 29,395,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post

I'm assuming by your username that you are male. I'm female and I use a mask by Athleta. It's the women's activate face mask 2. It has the wire at the top and is multi layered. It sticks out so you can breath without it being right against your mouth. The color choices aren't very exciting but it really works. They do have them in dark gray.

https://athleta.gap.com/browse/categ...s%20%26%20More

Old 02-27-2021, 03:40 PM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
The disposable masks are going to be the best for allowing air in/out......also, they're likely the worst for protection.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:28 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I really have no advice as to what type of mask to wear...but masks suck period when working out. It's pure torture. It shouldn't be a requirement. I would just suggest wearing it below your nose... it makes it a little more bearable.
I can't believe you would suggest wearing it below your nose. That defeats the whole purpose of wearing a mask. There was a big confrontation today at my gym because people weren't wearing masks properly. It came close to a brawl.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:42 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I can't believe you would suggest wearing it below your nose. That defeats the whole purpose of wearing a mask. There was a big confrontation today at my gym because people weren't wearing masks properly. It came close to a brawl.
Oh, I know.. the horror. I don't agree with the mask mandates, especially in gyms. It's ridiculous and makes it very difficult to breathe.

If people are going to get that angry over others not wearing masks, they should just stay home. Working out at a gym isn't essential... They must not be that scared if they're willing to exercise around others.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:27 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Oh, I know.. the horror. I don't agree with the mask mandates, especially in gyms. It's ridiculous and makes it very difficult to breathe.

If people are going to get that angry over others not wearing masks, they should just stay home. Working out at a gym isn't essential... They must not be that scared if they're willing to exercise around others.
The gym is following the state mandate. All members were notified they must wear masks at all times from the time they enter the building until they leave the building. Masks are required while exercising. The only time a mask is not required is when in the pool or in the shower. Those are rules. I don't have a problem with working out with a mask on. I've been wearing an N95 because of the idiots who won't follow the state mandate and the facility rules I just want this pandemic to be over and have life get back to normal. Some people obviously don't want that to happen.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:18 AM

8,408 posts, read 7,400,755 times
I don't exercise at a gym. My exertions are mostly walking my dogs. However, I did purchase two different types of masks during the previous year, as I found that the disposable paper masks tended to get very damp and uncomfortable when I wore them for several hours. I looked into masks explicitly made for people who exercise. I bought several of each listed below.

Zensah makes masks that wrap around the back of the neck instead of the ear, are made out of synthetic cloth so they don't get damp, and contain either silver or copper in their fabric. There's supposedly some benefit to these metals - the claim is that they are toxic to viruses. I found the mask convenient to wear, but they are one-size-fits-all and while the fabric is very stretchy and feels thin (but thicker than a paper mask), it does sometimes feel uncomfortable and too small for my large face and head. I never wore it for anything other than work and shopping, but I do prefer it over paper disposable masks and the cotton masks that I sewed by hand back in April 2020. The cost is $16 for one Zensah mask, about average for the masks that I researched.

Underarmour makes a sportsmask that uses cloth ear loops and are made out of synthetic materials reminiscent of padded bicycle shorts. This mask is much thicker than the Zensah one, does not stretch like the Zensah, and comes in multiple sizes. The website comments about these masks complain that the sizes run small, but I have not found that to be the case for me. This has become my go-to mask. While I don't exercise strenuously, I did wear it while shoveling snow over the past month. It's very good at wicking away moisture - it never got wet or soggy during the hours I spent slinging snow and was always comfortable. While the Zensah does rest against your mouth, the Underarmour mask has room underneath so that it doesn't actually come in contact with your mouth. The Underarmour sports mask costs $30 each, which is admittedly the most expensive mask that I researched.

Both the Zensah and Underarmour masks are machine washable but need to be air-dried. I simply hang mine up on a hanger for a day after they've been washed and they're ready to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness