Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 08:58 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times

Advertisements

Why would you do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 09:23 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Definitely doable given what people do in ultramarathons. I think to prepare yourself, you do need some level of fitness, but probably your chief obstacle given that this is a walk not a run is you need to work on your mind. Making a play list of music and audiobooks to distract you will be important. For a mere 24 hours food will not be super important but some snacks you enjoy will come in handy. You will want water, though, and appropriate clothing. Shoes will become super important as the hours pass by - I can tell you that my most comfortable pair of shoes become increasing painful after several miles of hiking - so work hard on finding shoes that can stand the mileage without your feet becoming too much of a disaster and test them out up to at least 10-15 miles. You'll also want to make sure your clothes will not rub/chafe and that they will be sufficient for whatever the weather is and not too much. Invest in a good day pack and test it out well before going.
+1 to all this.

Typically for backpacking I shoot for 1.5 lbs/day in calorie-dense food. That's in the mountains, but I only walk for 10-12 hours a day, not 24. Water is stickier, hot dry days I can go through 1L per hour!

OP's going to cover at least 40 miles, which isn't insane at all. Is this going to be 20-40, 1-2 mile loops? Logistically that would be pretty easy! 40+ miles point to point isn't without a support team.

Old 03-08-2021, 10:23 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
I would NOT want to do this through neighborhoods & a city. Too much cement & asphalt, especially for a hurt knee. In my area, you could easily spend 24 hours walking the Intemann & connecting trails on dirt & gravel & see a lot of wildlife & beautiful scenery. That actually does sound appealing to me! We start at 7,000 ft elevation though & the most I have done is 8 hours; you'd have to be in amazing shape to go for 24.

Old 03-08-2021, 10:33 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
i'd suggest packing a couple of changes of socks - change them out each 8 hours, it is a nice, low-weight perk that can help you feel a bit better as you go.

Old 03-08-2021, 10:37 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Ace bandages and smaller size cold/ice packs. You need something that you can put on your knee and wrap with an ace bandage because your knee’s going to swell like a balloon.

I am bone on bone on both my knees, and my right knee is especially bad. I was walking in a park and I tried to push it, and it HURT. The next day my knee was swollen, hot and tender and just a mess. Ice, lots of ice that day.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:55 PM

48 posts, read 31,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
+1 to all this.

Typically for backpacking I shoot for 1.5 lbs/day in calorie-dense food. That's in the mountains, but I only walk for 10-12 hours a day, not 24. Water is stickier, hot dry days I can go through 1L per hour!

OP's going to cover at least 40 miles, which isn't insane at all. Is this going to be 20-40, 1-2 mile loops? Logistically that would be pretty easy! 40+ miles point to point isn't without a support team.
I will be walking at a nature preserve for more than half of the time, on dirt trails and a gravel road. I’ll be subject to asphalt and concrete during the nighttime hours. I’ll just meander wherever and take in nature and the experience. My car will be my aid station and never more the three miles away at the very most. Goal is 100km.

Old 03-08-2021, 03:28 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
My son is a professional rowing coach. He studies fitness options constantly and in depth. He recently told me and old but proven fact is that it is far better to do mild endurance exercise (like walking 40 miles) than to do a short run, intense bike ride, or rowing sprint.

Old 03-08-2021, 05:16 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Excuse me, but can sane human beings actually do that - walk for 24 hours? Are you saying "without rest" or are there rules for such madness.....
Well, people run for 24 hours straight, and walking is considerably easier that running.

For example, the Badwater Ultramarathon is run in July. It begins at Badwater Basin in Death Valley (average high in July: 117F) and is a 135-mile course. It usually takes between 22 and 25 hours to finish the race. Granted, the number of participants is usually low (under 100, and not all of them finish) but, still, people do it.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:22 PM

48 posts, read 31,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Well, people run for 24 hours straight, and walking is considerably easier that running.

For example, the Badwater Ultramarathon is run in July. It begins at Badwater Basin in Death Valley (average high in July: 117F) and is a 135-mile course. It usually takes between 22 and 25 hours to finish the race. Granted, the number of participants is usually low (under 100, and not all of them finish) but, still, people do it.
Taking it a step or five further, Google “transcendence 3100” and wrap your head around *that.* Bottom line: people pushing themselves physically and mentally doesn’t always seem to “make sense” to many others. But anyone who does an endurance event of some sort is a changed (for the better) person.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:17 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,003,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman69 View Post
Taking it a step or five further, Google “transcendence 3100” and wrap your head around *that.* Bottom line: people pushing themselves physically and mentally doesn’t always seem to “make sense” to many others. But anyone who does an endurance event of some sort is a changed (for the better) person.
So true. Certainly, we all have varying limits to physical discomfort.

If I'm walking & get a blister, if I don't have a first aide kit/Bandaids with me, I want to turn around & go home. My tolerance for pain isn't that high.

Conversely, I have a friend who is 67 & still runs triathlons, plays basketball with 20-something kids twice/wk & any other sport he can manage. Only Covid curtailed races for him this past year. His car trunk is filled with baseball glove/ball/bat, soccer ball, football, frisbees & the like, just in case he passes a hoop, track or trail that seems inviting.

When he broke his elbow at the beginning of a kayak race by slipping on rocks, he wrapped it up with a bandana & finished the race. He still runs, looks about 45 & has a 6-pack & better physique than many 30-somethings.

Our limits vary. For me, when I reach my limit when exercising, I stop cuz I'm afraid of injury. (Ironic that I've been housebound & on strong pills for 2-wks, recovering from a muscle pull in my back ribs.) For some, they can push through & do another few laps, reps, miles. Their body makeup allows their limits to be pressed far further than mine.

BTW, Boss... are you intending to document any of your walk via video or pics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness