Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 07:18 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I read this entire thread and missed this --> will you be able to stop to go the the bathroom or will you wear a depends?
It hasn't been mentioned, but I second this. Bring depends just in case. Before COVID-19, I used to walk 3-4 miles on a trail every Friday. Needless to say, I wish I had a pair of Depends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Ace bandages and smaller size cold/ice packs. You need something that you can put on your knee and wrap with an ace bandage because your knee’s going to swell like a balloon.

I am bone on bone on both my knees, and my right knee is especially bad. I was walking in a park and I tried to push it, and it HURT. The next day my knee was swollen, hot and tender and just a mess. Ice, lots of ice that day.
I agree with Tally too. Please bring ace bandages, as that will help cushion your knee. Dad had knee issues and when he was still working, he was active and ace bandages did the trick. You will still swell, so definitely bring the ice.

Tally, I hope you're okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 07:28 AM

48 posts, read 30,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I read this entire thread and missed this --> will you be able to stop to go the the bathroom or will you wear a depends?
I will discretely urinate whenever and wherever I need to. I’ll go #2 before my morning start and hope to make it thru the 24 hour period, but will be walking near my home for the overnight portion so my home ‘aid station’ will double as a toilet of needed.

Old 03-09-2021, 07:47 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,052 times
Visit some of these marathon/brevet/trail running/distance events. You see that older people are extremely well represented and are tough enough mentally to finish what they started also.

For many, age is just another number and done properly, you can still achieve great things physically even if you start late in life. With age, comes mental toughness...or, as many have already noticed, getting old ain’t for sissies. Lol

Old 03-09-2021, 08:48 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,927,273 times
bossman, I'm a huge fan of walking, too, and I like to walk distances. I don't know that you'll get the same benefit from walking around in circles and always being within 3 miles of your car, though.

Half the benefit of walking long distances is trusting. Trust yourself, and trust your goal. If you're staying close to home, walking around and going back to your car, you only get the physical benefits of walking and none of the psychological ones. Which in my experience, is most of the benefit.

I would say put what you need on your back in a pack, put your cell phone in your backpack and turn it OFF, promising yourself you'll only use it if you're in life threatening need, and take off.

Would love to hear your experience once you've done it.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'm sorry, but the premise seems silly. the concept of "best practices" applies for situations very commonly in use. Your project is not at all common, and, frankly, I don't see the point, especially with a bad knee, unless you're hoping to get into Guinness.
With all due respect I’ll ask you to note that this is a ‘Health and Exercise’ topic, and there are people who may be here that have constructive input for me (I’m new so that was a guess on my part). Had I posted under the “Politics” or “Sewing” topics, or some other unrelated topic, I can see your point. I *did* put best practices in quotes as I figured most people - even in this thread - may not understand, I took a chance that some would understand, or at least have valuable input. Just because YOU cannot envision what I plan to do as being ‘common’... I’m okay with that. As I posted earlier - Question: How far can the average person walk in 24 hours? Answer: Nobody knows because the average person (you) won’t ever try to walk for 24 hours.

Get out there and push yourself a little. Or a lot.

Last edited by bossman69; 03-09-2021 at 09:39 AM..

Old 03-09-2021, 08:55 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'm sorry, but the premise seems silly. the concept of "best practices" applies for situations very commonly in use. Your project is not at all common, and, frankly, I don't see the point, especially with a bad knee, unless you're hoping to get into Guinness.
Remember that book, (and then movie) Wild? About Cheryl Strayed, who hiked the PCT? There were people who shook their heads and wondered why she'd do something so personally risky, with little benefit that they could see.

If you don't get it, you don't get it. Long distance walkers benefit tremendously from the excursion. Not all brains work the same, and apparently you don't derive benefit from long endurance hikes.

But there are many who do.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
bossman, I'm a huge fan of walking, too, and I like to walk distances. I don't know that you'll get the same benefit from walking around in circles and always being within 3 miles of your car, though.

Half the benefit of walking long distances is trusting. Trust yourself, and trust your goal. If you're staying close to home, walking around and going back to your car, you only get the physical benefits of walking and none of the psychological ones. Which in my experience, is most of the benefit.

I would say put what you need on your back in a pack, put your cell phone in your backpack and turn it OFF, promising yourself you'll only use it if you're in life threatening need, and take off.

Would love to hear your experience once you've done it.
Very good observation, and I intended to try that last fall before I had to have a leg procedure done and it sidelined me for a bit. I had visions of either going in one direction for 24 hours or covering 100 miles and see how long it would take. This planned walk for next month will be made a bit more manageable due to proximity to the first-world conveniences I’ll have access to.

I’m hopeful that an active spring/summer will prep me for doing just what you’re proposing. Time will tell!

Old 03-09-2021, 11:16 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman69 View Post
Question: How far can the average person walk in 24 hours? Answer: Nobody knows because the average person (you) won’t ever try to walk for 24 hours.
The average person can walk 3 mph. So if an average person can walk for 24 hours without stopping, they can cover 72 miles. That distance decreases with age and with health issues.

Average Walking Speed_ Pace, and Comparisons by Age and Sex

Old 03-09-2021, 12:12 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman69 View Post
We can build the ‘hardness’ muscle over time. I’ve seen it and experienced it. There certainly are outliers who have greater physical gifts than most people, but ‘most people’ don’t realize the greatness inside them that yearns to come out. Limits are physical; limitations are mental. Doing hard(er) things is a great way to expand our comfort zone.
Sure, I understand. I also understand that we're all differing types & that's okay, too. I'm a wisp of a girl... I've injured just about every part of my body from head to toe, so I honor my body's messages to lighten up & stop when I've reached my physical limit. Some are the 'no pain, no gain' types... good for them. My 67-yr old friend I mentioned before is like that... he pushes himself to the brink & if he's in pain, he ignores it & pushes himself further. I don't want to do that to myself.

I'm a lap swimmer. I can't tell you how long I swim or how many laps I do. I intend to count every time, but feel so great when swimming that once I hit 11 or so 1/2-laps, I forget to count further & never know the end result. It always annoys me when someone asks those q's, cuz my thinking is, what does it matter... I swim until my body tells me 'enough', then push one more lap & feel great... stretched out, strong, but tired... I can barely pull myself out of the pool. Licorice stick arms are part of that issue. I don't want to push further & feel at the brink of collapse. Did that a number of times... it was most unenjoyable & didn't give me any sense of achievement... just a sense that I was silly to press on, when I felt I shouldn't.

For me, the challenge to overcome is just doing it. Once I'm active, I can't believe I put up such resistance. I can do yoga for 10-min or 100-min... I don't care which... the challenge is for me to just do something each day & rest on other days when my body says 'stop'.

You obviously are a lot physically stronger than me. And, maybe have more confidence in your abilities. After 2 major car accidents that left me in terrible pain for 18-yrs (I've recovered now), I don't want to feel pain, so I admit that fear reigns me in. I'd rather be conservative with pushing limits... my choice. But, I admire those who are capable of pushing limits & don't injure themselves when they do.

I'm getting there... I do a bit more, when I want to, but, I don't feel it's necessary for me to feel a sense of accomplishment. I'm not competitive, even with myself... gentle is more my speed.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:51 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Walking at night, all night? hmm. Not for me, personally.
Now 5am to 5 pm and eat /sleep and do another. I could imagine.That's just me..
not trying to discourage.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 03-09-2021 at 07:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness