Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 04:14 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times

Advertisements

I guess it really comes down to priorities and if you make time for it. I personally think everyone-regardless of how busy they are has the time to workout. For years, my husband and I worked two jobs each and the only time to work out was 9 or 10 at night in our basement. Was it fun leaving the house at 6:30 am and not getting home until 9 or 10 at night and then going right into a workout? Not always but it was important to us to get it in and we very seldom missed. Look at the other posters on this board-arguy1973 worked out at 2am

Now I usually do workouts in the am or pm depending on my schedule. Like Dabeez said-working out early is good. A few summers ago I did all my running before work around 4:30 am and had so much energy throughout the day and slept like a baby. Knowing all I had to do was lift 3 days a week after work freed up my evenings too. After a week or so of getting up at that awful hour it isn't really bad. To me the worst part was physically getting out of bed. Once I was running I felt great.

I think if you did it before work you would have a lot more energy to get through your busy schedule

Nicolem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 05:23 PM

471 posts, read 1,508,392 times
Thriftygirl, I really do hope you find the time that works for you right now. Lunch wouldn't work for me either. No time to really workout and then shower, not to mention eating lunch.

Over the years I've had to do different things. Like going to college and working part-time. Had a friend across the hall in the dorm. We'd knock on each other's door at 6am (whoever heard their alarm clock first) and wander wearily to the athletic building together for an aerobics class. Or swam during the day for a swim class.

And I did the evening at the gym thing too more recently. Between 7pm-8pm. I really did have fun when I went. But it was harder for me to get to sleep early. I was energized I guess.

I've also gotten up early to walk with friends, but that was less successful for me as it depended on the other person and some people don't stick with it... and then you find yourself walking in the wee hours of the morning all by your lonesome, which is too uncomfortable for me.

Now I do the dvd at home thing. 5:30am. It really is worth it to me to get up that early. I know mornings aren't for everyone though. But like others have mentioned, it wakes me right up once I get going, and then I feel great all day, sleep well. The days I miss it are the days it is harder for me to get going in the morning.

Good luck finding what works for you. Use that gym membership, and then do something else if it's a better fit for you.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:58 AM

20 posts, read 130,756 times
I work all day and often workout after 9 pm. If you really want to do it, it doesn't really matter what time of day cause you will make the effort.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:50 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftygirl View Post
I'm just wondering... I work a full-time job and have a ton of other obligations. I have been finding it very difficult to find the time and/or motivation to make it to the gym. I have a membership contract, so I don't want to waste the money... but lunch time isn't going to work, and I don't really want to go at 8 pm!
You can get in a session either before or after work. While you mentioned you still have a membership, train at home during the week and maybe hit the gym on the weekends. Either way, try not to use lack of time as an excuse. A decent workout can be had in either 10, 15 or 20 minutes.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:05 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigriver View Post
I work all day and often workout after 9 pm. If you really want to do it, it doesn't really matter what time of day cause you will make the effort.
Totally true. My gym closes at 10:00 during the week and 7:00pm on weekend so even if I cant make it, I can still workout in my "home gym" in the garage.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:51 PM

132 posts, read 537,349 times
When I had a full time job that started at 8am, I would:

4am- wake up and drink protein shake,
4:30-drive to gym
4:45-warm up
5:00-6:00 work out
6:15-eat, shower, and get ready for work.

It was harder when my schedule changed to 7am, but still worth it. Going to the gym at 8pm got me too wired up, and the gym was always full.

-Angel

Old 05-20-2008, 03:54 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
The fact is that we all have the same 24 hours a day, its what we choose to do with those 24 hours. I have heard people make the excuse that they don't have time to make it to the gym, but they watch 2 hours of tv a night. Its all about priorities.
Really look at your schedule, maybe move some things around, maybe take some things away.
I used to wake up at 4:45 every morning to work out. It sounds crazy but once its a routine, its no big deal. It also ensures you dont stay up late at night and get a good nights rest. Now my schedule is more flexible, but I am still a wife, mother, and full time student and also work out 6 times a week no matter what.
Again, we all have time, its what we choose to do with that time and how we prioritize it.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:38 AM

So true about the tv thing. Big eater of time and goals and life progress.

I have too many things I am trying to accomplish with my life to watch much tv. Maybe 2-3 hours a week, in the evening with my hubby.

I'm trying not to spend too much time on CD either for that matter...

Old 05-22-2008, 12:34 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsky View Post
So true about the tv thing. Big eater of time and goals and life progress.

I have too many things I am trying to accomplish with my life to watch much tv. Maybe 2-3 hours a week, in the evening with my hubby.

I'm trying not to spend too much time on CD either for that matter...
I'm only on CD when I'm at work cause I realized I would be at home and 3-4 hours would go by I'm a big tv watcher - I turn it on as soon as I wake up in the morning and I fall asleep with it on every night. I think I'm just used to the noise. I try to do other things while I'm watching tv though - like ironing clothes for the next day or rolling my hair - things I was going to do anyway because I know that once I sit down and start watching tv I won't get up again until it's time for bed.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I'm only on CD when I'm at work cause I realized I would be at home and 3-4 hours would go by I'm a big tv watcher - I turn it on as soon as I wake up in the morning and I fall asleep with it on every night. I think I'm just used to the noise. I try to do other things while I'm watching tv though - like ironing clothes for the next day or rolling my hair - things I was going to do anyway because I know that once I sit down and start watching tv I won't get up again until it's time for bed.
I know... I can spend way too much time on CD. (Like on a rainy, dreary day like today.) I've had to resist addiction. Went through withdrawal awhile back I think. I think I've finally hit a moderate stride though.

I do like to watch tv (or listen to talk radio) while I iron too. Goes by much more quickly. Hooray for clothes that don't need ironing...

My husband likes the tv background noise too. Sometimes I've had to pry his fingers from the controller at the end of the day, after he's fallen asleep...

I digress... Happy exercising everyone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness