Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 09:54 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
How is this for a begginner..Im just trying to lose some major weight and my husband just bought me a treadmill, after all my begging! Im not used to a lot of physical exercise, so I start with a warm up.. then I kick it up to 3 and walk for one song : ) Then I kick it to about 4.2 to jog as long as I can without cramping.. slow it down to walking again for a bit .. am I on track for HIIT? Again, this is just my warm up, I plan on taking it up a notch as soon as I get used to it..
We'll call this "fine" for the beginning. Here is your goal: to be able to do high intensity intervals (imagine how high intensity a sprint is compared to jogging or running). You're doing the smart thing by starting out slowly and not trying to be a hero.

Now, how is your diet? That will go many times further for you to reach your fat dropping goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Thanks!! Actually it wasn't as bad as I thought. I just did the elliptical machine for a while instead. Now I'm alternating between the two.
Did treadmill HIIT again today. 1 minute at 3 mph and 1 minute at 8.5 mph for 20 minutes. The last 3 sprints I had to slow to 8 mph. It's really hard and harder on our new gym treadmills - before I could just hit the 3 mph button and it would slow down, now I have to hold in the slow down button until I reach the right speed. Surprising how much harder that makes it!

I'm also lifting heavier. Up from 6lb weights to 15 lb dumbells for arm exercises, and lifting much heavier on the legs too.

Still not losing much weight, but feel fitter I guess.
Good! Glad t hear that you are making real progress. Your body will respond in short order- you're probably starting to retain more water now that you're back to lifting so that can be offsetting fat weight loss. Are you able to do leg work?

Old 06-13-2008, 06:39 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Good! Glad t hear that you are making real progress. Your body will respond in short order- you're probably starting to retain more water now that you're back to lifting so that can be offsetting fat weight loss. Are you able to do leg work?
Yes, I'm absolutely fine. I have been doing the leg machines at the gym, as well as squats with weights.

I'm also trying to do some stomach exercises. I do 3 sets of 10 sit ups on the tilted bench (straight up and to the sides), and then do a couple of sets of 25 cruchy frogs. If i'm feeling ambitious I do the ones where you lie on your back with legs in the air and lift you butt off the floor. Not crazy about those though.

I guess I'm doing on average 25 minutes of cardio followed by 15 to 20 minutes of weights.

I was doing way more cardio and no weights, but it wasn't sustainable for me. I was spending 1.20 hrs on the treadmill for several weeks and if I had kept it up I would have given up altogether I think.

Sometimes I do more cardio and sometimes I do more weights. Depends how I feel. I've been doing a minimum of 3 x per week, but more often 4 x per week.
Really need to get to 5 x per week. Baby steps!

Old 06-17-2008, 09:48 PM

29 posts, read 100,645 times
I would do something like HIIT on the eliptical X-trainer where I would sprint for 30 seconds and slow down for 30 seconds, alternating. I would crank up the resistance pretty high.

Could this actually raise blood pressure? I'm around 124/76 but on meds and I just saw that the target is now 115/75.

My doctor says that heavy lifting raises blood pressure and has ordered me to do cardio only. But I've heard that something like that only lowers metabolism. So I have knees that feel like they're going to fall apart when I go down stairs and saggy muscles

Old 06-19-2008, 07:53 AM

7 posts, read 32,524 times
SO if I follow that for the outdoor training, and do that every other day, will that count as my interval training?

Old 06-19-2008, 11:10 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post

Outdoor Sprint
Warm up - 2-3 minutes
Sprint - 10 seconds
Slow walk - 20 seconds
Sprint - 10 seconds
Slow walk - 20 sec
Sprint - 10 sec
Slow walk - 20 sec
Repeat for about 8-12 minutes then slow walk cool down for 3 minutes
I commute on foot, which is usually about a 12 minute jog. I think I'll try this for the homeward leg of my commute (too tired in the morning to do anything but a steady jog). Should I really sprint for only 10 seconds and walk for 20? Is a 1:2 ratio really okay/best? I shouldn't do a 1:1?

Right now, I jog for 11 minutes, and sprint out the last 30 seconds or so (unless I'm trying to make a traffic light, in which case I might add another 20-30 second hard run in the middle of my jog.)

Sprinting all-out (even for a short time) sure raises your heart rate. I have a resting of 49 bpm, but at the end of a sprint, it's usually going 180+ bpm.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I commute on foot, which is usually about a 12 minute jog. I think I'll try this for the homeward leg of my commute (too tired in the morning to do anything but a steady jog). Should I really sprint for only 10 seconds and walk for 20? Is a 1:2 ratio really okay/best? I shouldn't do a 1:1?

Right now, I jog for 11 minutes, and sprint out the last 30 seconds or so (unless I'm trying to make a traffic light, in which case I might add another 20-30 second hard run in the middle of my jog.)

Sprinting all-out (even for a short time) sure raises your heart rate. I have a resting of 49 bpm, but at the end of a sprint, it's usually going 180+ bpm.
With sprints I'd start at 1:3, even, then move to 1:2. If you really sprint then the rest periods will be hardly enough... even at 1:3. Make sure to warm up.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:09 PM

Here is an article I think many will find invaluable: it's from Elite Fitness, a very highly respected source. It's about the difference between HIIT and the typical cardio most are used to: The Aerobic Fallacy (http://www.elitefts.com/documents/aerobic_fallacy.htm - broken link)

Old 06-23-2008, 12:37 PM

652 posts, read 1,276,502 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
To add another variation of HIIT: Hill Repeats.

Treadmill:
Warm up for about 2 min sat a good clip, say 4mph
then crank the grade up to 6% for 4 mins
then flat for 1 min
then 7 for 4 mins
then flat for 1 min
then 8 then 1 then 9 then 2 mins and you're done.

15 Minute total.

When you increase the incline do you walk or fast walk? and when you do it flat I am assuming you sprint? You said 6% 7% and so on can you give me more specifics on treadmill or eclipticals. I am new at this so when you say 6% I am not sure how much I should increase on treadmills or eclipticals since I think they have numbers not percentage.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
When you increase the incline do you walk or fast walk? and when you do it flat I am assuming you sprint? You said 6% 7% and so on can you give me more specifics on treadmill or eclipticals. I am new at this so when you say 6% I am not sure how much I should increase on treadmills or eclipticals since I think they have numbers not percentage.
Let me break it down, especially since I used % signs where degree symbols should have been.

Goal- have a high intensity interval followed by a low intensity interval so that the body is NOT operating efficiently.

To achieve this, when the treadmill is flat, I walk at a moderate/brisk pace.
When the treadmill is at an incline, I increase speed to fast walk or jog, or whatever. The goal is to create high contrast in the effort it takes between low and high intensity intervals. I am NOT looking to maintain an intensity level throughout the cardio session.

Let me rephrase what I wrote before:

Treadmill:
Warm up for about 1 min at a good clip, say 4mph on flat
then crank the grade up to 6 degrees at 4mph for 1 min
then flat for 1 min
then 7 degrees for 1 min
then flat for 1 min
then 8 degrees then 1 min
then flat for 1 min
then 9 degrees for 1 min
then flat for 1 min
then 10 degrees for 1 min
then flat for 1 min
then 11 degrees for 1 min
then flat for 1 min
then 12 degrees for 1 min
then flat for 1 min cooi down
15 Minute total.

Sometimes I don't keep it so gradual and my inclines are 6, 8, 11, 11, 11, 11, etc.. or 12... whatever you're comfortable doing to generate high intensity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness