Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 05:59 AM

652 posts, read 1,276,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Let me break it down, especially since I used % signs where degree symbols should have been.

Goal- have a high intensity interval followed by a low intensity interval so that the body is NOT operating efficiently.

To achieve this, when the treadmill is flat, I walk at a moderate/brisk pace.
When the treadmill is at an incline, I increase speed to fast walk or jog, or whatever. The goal is to create high contrast in the effort it takes between low and high intensity intervals. I am NOT looking to maintain an intensity level throughout the cardio session.

Let me rephrase what I wrote before:

Treadmill:
Warm up for about 1 min at a good clip, say 4mph on flat
then crank the grade up to 6 degrees at 4mph for 1 min
then flat for 1 min
then 7 degrees for 1 min
then flat for 1 min
then 8 degrees then 1 min
then flat for 1 min
then 9 degrees for 1 min
then flat for 1 min
then 10 degrees for 1 min
then flat for 1 min
then 11 degrees for 1 min
then flat for 1 min
then 12 degrees for 1 min
then flat for 1 min cooi down
15 Minute total.

Sometimes I don't keep it so gradual and my inclines are 6, 8, 11, 11, 11, 11, etc.. or 12... whatever you're comfortable doing to generate high intensity.

Thank you. How would it work on the eclipse machine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 06:32 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
Thank you. How would it work on the eclipse machine?
Do you mean an elliptical machine? Vary your settings between high resistance and low resistance. Slow down and speed up as necessary to maintain low intensity or high intensity.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:29 AM

Default re

Quote:
Do you mean an elliptical machine? Vary your settings between high resistance and low resistance. Slow down and speed up as necessary to maintain low intensity or high intensity.
can I do low resistance every 2 minutes and high for 1 minutes or is there a better way? Thank you.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
can I do low resistance every 2 minutes and high for 1 minutes or is there a better way? Thank you.
You can do 1:2 High:Low if you wish, you can do 1:1.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:58 PM

150 posts, read 694,177 times
I am not a treadmill gal, though I do occassionally use it to switch things up. And I feel like I don't have proper running posture.

Today I THINK I kind of did the HIIT scenario w/o the treadmill. I was time-pressed and only had about half an hour to do cardio. So I thought this would be a good time to try it. Does this count? I made up my own version ...

I did the elliptical first, for 15 minutes. One minute going as fast as I could manage, at about 10 (out of 20) resistance. Then 1 minute going at a walking pace at about 18 resistance. And so on. I kept the incline the same the whole time - somewhere in the middle that the machine indicated was using all the leg muscles.

Then I rested a few minutes (cuz I was beat, and very sweaty) and moved to the stair climber (the tall one that towers over all the other machines.) I did the speed-interval setting, at level 13, which seems like it would be the same thing.

So - is this kind of what you're talking about? It felt GREAT to be done in just 30 minutes

Old 06-24-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle_Gal View Post
Today I THINK I kind of did the HIIT scenario w/o the treadmill. I was time-pressed and only had about half an hour to do cardio. So I thought this would be a good time to try it. Does this count? I made up my own version ...

I did the elliptical first, for 15 minutes. One minute going as fast as I could manage, at about 10 (out of 20) resistance. Then 1 minute going at a walking pace at about 18 resistance. And so on. I kept the incline the same the whole time - somewhere in the middle that the machine indicated was using all the leg muscles.
LOL Why does it seem so difficult for folks to grasp this? Must be that people are conditioned to want to keep the same level of intensity throughout the entire cardio process.

When doing HIIT you are looking for a low intensity and a high intensity interval. The track equivalent is that during the Low intensity interval you walk, during the high intensity interval you sprint. It is my understanding that the intensity level was similar between the sprinting at lower resistance and the walking at higher resistance. You are looking to establish intensity contrast, not similarity.

Am I misunderstanding what you did?

Old 06-24-2008, 08:06 PM

150 posts, read 694,177 times
Quote:
LOL Why does it seem so difficult for folks to grasp this? Must be that people are conditioned to want to keep the same level of intensity throughout the entire cardio process.
Well, speaking only for myself, I am untrained in exercise physiology and just tryin' to figure out this concept on my own. And I'm totally a right-brainer. I'm not conditioned one way or the other ... I am just confused!

Quote:
When doing HIIT you are looking for a low intensity and a high intensity interval. The track equivalent is that during the Low intensity interval you walk, during the high intensity interval you sprint. It is my understanding that the intensity level was similar between the sprinting at lower resistance and the walking at higher resistance. You are looking to establish intensity contrast, not similarity.

Am I misunderstanding what you did?
No, you understood. But it didn't FEEL similar. Just backward from what you described. The walking at hi-intensity was like "a break", the sprinting at low-intensity was killing me. So what I'm hearing is that I should have done the OPPOSITE -- I.e: sprint at high resistance, walk at low resistance. RIGHT? I will try that next time ... it might be the death of me, but I will try it.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle_Gal View Post
Well, speaking only for myself, I am untrained in exercise physiology and just tryin' to figure out this concept on my own. And I'm totally a right-brainer. I'm not conditioned one way or the other ... I am just confused!

No, you understood. But it didn't FEEL similar. Just backward from what you described. The walking at hi-intensity was like "a break", the sprinting at low-intensity was killing me. So what I'm hearing is that I should have done the OPPOSITE -- I.e: sprint at high resistance, walk at low resistance. RIGHT? I will try that next time ... it might be the death of me, but I will try it.
Oh, we certainly don't want it to be the death of you! Do be careful with it, please.

You understood me correctly: at low intensity/resistance- walk. At high intensity/resistance- sprint. Let me know what you think of it. Do them 1:1, one minute of each for 15-20 minutes total. 2 minute warm up first.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:32 AM

Default Re

Quote:
You can do 1:2 High:Low if you wish, you can do 1:1.
just want to make sure 1:2 means 1 minute high intensity (increase incline) and speed fast walk and 2 minutes flat slower walk?

Old 06-25-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
just want to make sure 1:2 means 1 minute high intensity (increase incline) and speed fast walk and 2 minutes flat slower walk?
Yes. The proportion is 1High:2Low. I usually keep them 1:1, though (my preference). See what works for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness