U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2021, 07:26 AM
 
1,960 posts, read 586,838 times
Reputation: 836

Advertisements

So I am currently going to gym b but I might think of canceling and going to gym a. I was wondering users opinions on which gym i or they would choose.

I no longer workout with my friend at gym b. i made a post about this and we are no longer talking and I want to avoid seeing him at gym b.

so there are pro's and cons to each gym.

gym A

only a 11 minute drive with no traffic.

close at 1pm on sunday and 6:30 on friday!! the other days they are open to 8.

they just got rid of major restrictions where you had to reserve time to use the gym at all in 45 minute blocks. if covid restrictions come back in my state I would have to deal with reserving time to use the gym at all. what a pain!! they said that eventually their hours will extend.

the free weight room is alot smaller and more congested. they do look though like they have all the necessary equipment.

after saturday i will need to fill out a card with a quick questionaire where before everyday you wanted to use the gym you had to answer questions online. gym b does non of this you can come and go as you please the only reservation at gym b is for the pool.


gym b

this is the gym where i might see the person I want to avoid.

it takes 20 to 25 minutes to get to with way more traffic versus the 11 minutes with no traffic.

the gym itself is a bit better and the free weight room is much bigger with a lot of room to move. they even have mats you can slam the weights down .

the gym is open until 9 pm now. if my schedule changes this might be huge instead of having to worry about the gym closing early on friday and sunday.

they did not have the restrictions like the other gym had .

after saturday you will not have to wear masks at either gym.

which one would you choose and why?

thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2021, 07:54 AM
 
6,908 posts, read 5,190,153 times
Reputation: 13173
Is there a major difference in cost between gym a and gym b? If not, I would go with gym a.

Everyone who knows me on this forum knows how much value I place on being surrounded by non-annoying people. I can deal with less equipment and worse hours if it means not to have to deal with crowds or, in your case, someone who you are desperately trying to avoid.

The COVID stuff is a non-factor now and, going forward, I don't foresee that as an issue ever again so I wouldn't let that sway you one way or the other.

One thought is that most gyms have a 3 or 7 day pass you can use to try it out. Before you give up on gym b, get a pass and try it for a period of time just to see that nothing is going to prevent you from enjoying your time there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2021, 08:07 AM
 
1,960 posts, read 586,838 times
Reputation: 836
There is not much of a difference in price but gym a has a 25 dollar joining fee. Ya I could try a pass at gym a to get a feel for it. Closing on Sunday at 1 pm is super annoying but this might change because covid restrictions are going away. Which makes no sense if you limit the time people can workout it's only going to create more people at the gym at the same time.. it's pretty dumb. Closing at 630 pm is super early on Friday I forget when they close Saturday.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 05-27-2021 at 08:31 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2021, 06:40 PM
 
Location: DMV Area/NYC/Honolulu
23,880 posts, read 11,772,269 times
Reputation: 24449
Gym b and just try to go at times when I know I'm less likely to see the annoying person. I'm a big gym guy and what gym has in terms of equipment and space is big for me. And I enjoy longer hours and not having to wear a mask.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2021, 04:25 AM
 
1,960 posts, read 586,838 times
Reputation: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Gym b and just try to go at times when I know I'm less likely to see the annoying person. I'm a big gym guy and what gym has in terms of equipment and space is big for me. And I enjoy longer hours and not having to wear a mask.
Ya I kinda know his schedule and there are times I could go where he would not be there. Saturday there is a chance i could see him but not if i go early in the morning. I never went to the gym early in the morning but if i did I could avoid him. Gym A closes early they will start extending their hours but it will not be as good as Gym B. I doubt this guy that I am trying to avoid will continue going to the gym. He only went because I was going. I just don't know how long he will continue without a workout partner. Both gyms will allow people not to wear a mask after today.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2021, 05:07 AM
 
7,749 posts, read 3,989,025 times
Reputation: 14923
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Ya I kinda know his schedule and there are times I could go where he would not be there. Saturday there is a chance i could see him but not if i go early in the morning. I never went to the gym early in the morning but if i did I could avoid him. Gym A closes early they will start extending their hours but it will not be as good as Gym B. I doubt this guy that I am trying to avoid will continue going to the gym. He only went because I was going. I just don't know how long he will continue without a workout partner. Both gyms will allow people not to wear a mask after today.
It seems especially silly to stop going to the current gym then if it has better equipment/facilities and hours. It’s nice to be close to the gym, but if it is going to be too crowded for you to do what you want to do, that is not helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2021, 05:58 AM
 
1,960 posts, read 586,838 times
Reputation: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It seems especially silly to stop going to the current gym then if it has better equipment/facilities and hours. It’s nice to be close to the gym, but if it is going to be too crowded for you to do what you want to do, that is not helpful.

ya i dont think i would have any more trouble getting what i need to do in gym A but the free weight room itself is smaller but has alot of the same equipment. The pool in Gym A is always crowded I heard where in gym b is less crowded. Ill try and stay at gym B but if the commute gets to me or I can not avoid that person ill switch to gym A. I saw reviews of gym A and one negative is that people want them to be open longer on the weekend. i think I favor the amount of hours a gym is open more than other factors.

Gym A is more of a family gym that's why the hours suck i think,and it seems and gym B is is not .

I'm pretty sure i can try out gym A with a day pass or because I have a membership at gym b. They are both YMCA GYMS.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2021, 03:01 PM
 
4,704 posts, read 2,045,028 times
Reputation: 12286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Is there a major difference in cost between gym a and gym b? If not, I would go with gym a.

Everyone who knows me on this forum knows how much value I place on being surrounded by non-annoying people. I can deal with less equipment and worse hours if it means not to have to deal with crowds or, in your case, someone who you are desperately trying to avoid.
OTOH... in a smaller gym, will you be even more packed in with people, which will make them seem more annoying?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2021, 03:46 PM
 
6,908 posts, read 5,190,153 times
Reputation: 13173
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
OTOH... in a smaller gym, will you be even more packed in with people, which will make them seem more annoying?
Generally the smaller gyms are more expensive and, thus, less busy. There are of course exceptions but in my experience the bigger, corporate gyms like Powerhouse, LA Fitness (err...Esporta) or 24 Hour Fitness are always the busiest simply due to how cheap they are.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2021, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Not too far East of the Everglades
10,958 posts, read 2,262,919 times
Reputation: 2844
which gym would you choose?



I chose The LA Fatness in 2015, and to this day I continue to be a member there, I ise them easily 20-22 days a month without a miss.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top