Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2022, 10:55 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,655,075 times

Advertisements

Got golfers elbow (pain on inside of elbow) actually from surf fishing a few months ago...frustrating! Tried it again today and the elbow seems more aggravated now. Iced it down. Anybody else get golfers elbow? How did you cure it and how long did it take?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 01:59 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Two possibilities on how it started-- a) sudden pain on stubbing a club (like Wiley Coyote hitting a stone tree with his axe) injured the collateral ligament (analogous to a football player's knee injury when clipped from the side), or (2) chronic, repeated strain from less than perfect mechanics &/or over-use.

I've never seen a golfer with the problem, but have successfuly treated dozens of baseball players (pitchers & batters) with that pain....The problem in #2 above is that there is a dys-coordination of the muscles around the joint-- one side gets tighter than the other, pulling the joint out of alignment and straining the ligament...

...the trick to treatment is to get the tight side to loosen and the loose side to tighten....Counter-intuitively, the source of the problem is a latissimus muscle that isn't doing it's job correctly. To treat it, flex the lat to the point of spasm without tightening the biceps muscle on that side....It's a movement kinda like when you convert the 7-10 split and go "Yes!!-- pulling your extended arm back in toward your ribs...Sometimes just once will give you a miracle cure; sometimes it takes repeated efforts over the course of days.

Of course you have to prevent further aggravation of it by correcting your improper mechanics.

If the injury is from #1 above, it needs evaluation by a surgeon. Complete rest is certainly required and possibly a surgical procedure.

Personally, I've never golfed...So many people have told me that I don't know my a__ from a hole in the ground, I figured I'd best avoid it-- I might get hurt.

edit-- Oh, wait-- you said you were a fisherman...Yea, you probably cast repeatedly kinda side arm leading with your elbow in a "throws like a girl" motion...The lat exercise should fix it, and then prevent it from coming back by using more lat and less arm when you cast.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:13 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,207,993 times
Was JUST diagnosed myself with this last month and I've never in my life swung a golf club!!

The medical term is medial epicondylitis

I have a PT that I trust and that over the years has helped with various ailments--back, knee, elbow, etc

Been seeing her once a week

This is what I've been doing and have seen some decent improvement:

One advil 3x a day
Ice the elbow a few times a day
simple hand stretches where I pull the fingers back
Rub voltarin on area a few times a day
She also gave me a few strengthening dumbell exercises as my weak rotator cuff muscles are part of problem...do those every other day

The good news is I've been able to continue most of my weight exercises and swimming , but my sense is it'll be a few more weeks to be 100%

hope that helps

Old 03-15-2022, 08:38 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Got golfers elbow (pain on inside of elbow) actually from surf fishing a few months ago...frustrating! Tried it again today and the elbow seems more aggravated now. Iced it down. Anybody else get golfers elbow? How did you cure it and how long did it take?
I've had this several times from doing pull-ups. In searching for a solution online, I came across a study using a rubber bar called a FlexBar. There are different exercises for golfer's elbow and tennis elbow. There is a lot of information and YouTube videos about this treatment. Here is a video showing the exercises:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZsa0bBCAf0

I recommend this to a couple people and they recommended it to others. Everyone I know has had good success with it. I usually do the exercises while watching the videos to make sure my form is good and I'm doing them correctly. The Thera-Band FlexBar comes in four sizes. I made the mistake of starting with the blue bar, which is the thickest and hardest to bend. It is best to start with one of the thinner bars and buy another as you get stronger. You can combine these exercises with ice, massage, and any other treatment.

I highly recommend this therapy over an injection or surgery.

https://www.theraband.com/theraband-...tance-bar.html

https://www.amazon.com/TheraBand-Ten.../dp/B003XWXRYS

BTW, it looks like there are similar bars bars on Amazon that are cheaper and would allow you to do the same therapy.

Old 03-15-2022, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the replies! Yep...was from repetitive casting and not some sudden acute injury. Trying to look at those exercises (do I want to lock the elbow out like that video clip?)...will check some more out and try to get this "golfers elbow" better!

Old 03-16-2022, 11:07 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I've had bouts of golfer's elbow in BOTH elbows. One bout lasted for almost a year and I tried everything under the sun to try and fix it. When I say everything I mean literally everything including all of the suggestions above and a ton of other remedies including very expensive PRP therapy and none of them did much of anything.

The one and only thing that solves this issue for me is to do negative bicep curls. Take a 5 or 10lb dumbbell and only do the negative movement very slowly and help the dumbbell back up with your other arm. Do 4 sets of 15 every single day and you'll start to feel immediate relief. The more it hurts at first, the more it's working. Do them very slow and controlled and make sure you fully extend your elbow at the bottom (where you'll feel it a bit uncomfortable at first). You'll notice almost immediate relief in a day or two and within a week it should be totally gone.

I have helped two different guys at former gyms remedy this same issue. None of us changed anything in our workout routines other than adding in these negative bicep curls. One guy had also been dealing with it for years he said and he was so happy when I saw him again in a week he brought me a $30 tub of preworkout as a thank you!

Old 03-16-2022, 11:23 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I've had bouts of golfer's elbow in BOTH elbows. One bout lasted for almost a year and I tried everything under the sun to try and fix it. When I say everything I mean literally everything including all of the suggestions above and a ton of other remedies including very expensive PRP therapy and none of them did much of anything.

The one and only thing that solves this issue for me is to do negative bicep curls. Take a 5 or 10lb dumbbell and only do the negative movement very slowly and help the dumbbell back up with your other arm. Do 4 sets of 15 every single day and you'll start to feel immediate relief. The more it hurts at first, the more it's working. Do them very slow and controlled and make sure you fully extend your elbow at the bottom (where you'll feel it a bit uncomfortable at first). You'll notice almost immediate relief in a day or two and within a week it should be totally gone.

I have helped two different guys at former gyms remedy this same issue. None of us changed anything in our workout routines other than adding in these negative bicep curls. One guy had also been dealing with it for years he said and he was so happy when I saw him again in a week he brought me a $30 tub of preworkout as a thank you!
This is the concept of eccentric strengthening exercise. It refers to tension being applied to a muscle as it lengthens. Do a search on "eccentric strengthening exercises for golfers elbow" for different exercises.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:26 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,207,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post

Question....So , as part of my weight training I do hammer curls --3 sets of 10 ---with 20 lbs each hand.....are you suggesting that even though I can do the heavier weight that for your exercise I should do the 5 or 10 pounds? guess going slower would make it harder to do the heavier weight?

thanks

Old 03-16-2022, 01:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Meanwhile there are two things that help with the pain, Voltaren Topical Gel (not cheap) and Salonpas patches. When I had that problem I used the patches during the day, the gel at night (lasts longer). I also did curls with a 4 lb. weight and that seemed to help, but took a couple of weeks. I hope you at least caught some dinner!

Old 03-16-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Meanwhile there are two things that help with the pain, Voltaren Topical Gel (not cheap) and Salonpas patches. When I had that problem I used the patches during the day, the gel at night (lasts longer). I also did curls with a 4 lb. weight and that seemed to help, but took a couple of weeks. I hope you at least caught some dinner!
Some very slow isometric curls seem to be helping! Do mostly catch and release surf fishing...only small surf perch/baby leopard sharks in So. Cal now. Corbina move in summer and are fun...like Redfish in Texas or Bonefish in Florida. Very challenging to catch, but a good excuse to get to the beach! May have to call this "fishing elbow" now lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness