Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 12:14 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post

Do you toss sweaty clothes straight into a closed container or closet?
...wicking synthetics. Some of them get or hold stinks much worse than others!
Oh, no. The mere thought makes me gag. I immediately go home after working out and the first thing I do is throw all of my clothes in a tub full of water and baking soda.

And you're right about wicking synthetics. I've read somewhere that they hold on to odors worse than 100% cotton tanks. I used to work out in plain, no nonsense, 100% cotton shorts and tanks but decided to go all fancy with my work out gear. I think I'm going to go back to wearing natural fibers. I'll be kind of soaked but who cares. I'd rather have that than have to deal with synthetics that don't clean or air out well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 12:59 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Oh, no. The mere thought makes me gag. I immediately go home after working out and the first thing I do is throw all of my clothes in a tub full of water and baking soda.

And you're right about wicking synthetics. I've read somewhere that they hold on to odors worse than 100% cotton tanks. I used to work out in plain, no nonsense, 100% cotton shorts and tanks but decided to go all fancy with my work out gear. I think I'm going to go back to wearing natural fibers. I'll be kind of soaked but who cares. I'd rather have that than have to deal with synthetics that don't clean or air out well.
Well, you could use detergent for washing the clothes after you rinse or soak them. If instructions say NO DETERGENTS, you can still use mild soaps. I remember before machine-washable wool became common that wool was supposed to be hand-washed in cold water using either Woolite or a mild soap such as Ivory Flakes (NOT Ivory Snow). Ivory Flakes are just the regular soap formed into flakes instead of bars.

Baking soda and water won’t remove the body oils, which is why the smell persists. “You’re gonna need a bigger boat.”

Just curious, what IS this proprietary synthetic?

Old 03-27-2022, 01:47 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
And you're right about wicking synthetics. I've read somewhere that they hold on to odors worse than 100% cotton tanks.
They do. That's about half the reason I try to avoid synthetic "wicking" fabrics. (The other half of the reason is that they feel absolutely gross when wet with sweat. And I've not noticed they really dry faster than my lightweight cotton tops.)

Old 03-27-2022, 05:02 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
They can get pretty stinky even with daily soaking. What do you guys do to remedy "the stink".
I sometimes resort to boiling my clothes but they say that should be the last resort. And at times, I end up just throwing them out and buying new ones.

So... any suggestions.
Wash them.

Old 03-27-2022, 06:01 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
Try putting your clothes in a bag in the freezer. I've done that and it helps a bit. But depending on how much you sweat it's probably better to bite the bullet and get new workout clothes. I sweat a lot and eventually no matter how many times I wash and put clothes in the freezer, it eventually smells.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:05 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
They do. That's about half the reason I try to avoid synthetic "wicking" fabrics. (The other half of the reason is that they feel absolutely gross when wet with sweat. And I've not noticed they really dry faster than my lightweight cotton tops.)
Yeah. Screw it. I just bought regular Haines 100% cotton tank & shorts today. I never had problems with them and wicking fabrics still get wet when working out so there's really no added benefit that I can see.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:13 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Try a pre-wash/soak in borax - either concentrate or in 20 Mule Team:

https://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/uses/odor-control/

Old 03-27-2022, 09:19 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
MERINO WOOL is the BomB (but expensive!)
+ odor free + breathable + insulating + cooling + dries fast + doesn’t wrinkle + warm when wet

https://www.icebreaker.com/en-us/training
https://packhacker.com/guide/merino-...avel-clothing/
Merino wool can absorb and retain up to 30% of its weight in moisture and still feel dry to the touch. Since the fabric wicks away moisture, those smelly bacteria don’t have the moist environment they need to thrive. Wear your Merino wool t shirt in the desert, on the slopes, or in the gym and you’ll be sure to remain dry and stink-free. Well, your clothes will anyway…you should still shower.
= = = =

Old 03-27-2022, 10:36 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
MERINO WOOL is the BomB (but expensive!)
+ odor free + breathable + insulating + cooling + dries fast + doesn’t wrinkle + warm when wet

https://www.icebreaker.com/en-us/training
https://packhacker.com/guide/merino-...avel-clothing/
Merino wool can absorb and retain up to 30% of its weight in moisture and still feel dry to the touch. Since the fabric wicks away moisture, those smelly bacteria don’t have the moist environment they need to thrive. Wear your Merino wool t shirt in the desert, on the slopes, or in the gym and you’ll be sure to remain dry and stink-free. Well, your clothes will anyway…you should still shower.
= = = =
Wool does get stinky if it isn’t washed. It just takes longer before the smell is noticeable. Also, it never is as BAD a stink as synthetics become.

Two big disadvantages to wool are high price and moths love to hole it.

Synthetics—some of them, anyway—wick faster than even thin Merino wool. I think it’s their petro origin that makes them keep hold of body oils. Has nothing to do with wicking moisture (water) away, because they do that, as long as the knit is designed for that.

To me, one of the best things about wool is its suitability for a surprisingly wide range of ambient temperatures. The same bike jersey can be comfortable in damp 55 deg F to sunny, dry 70+ deg F.

Old 03-28-2022, 02:09 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Wool does get stinky if it isn’t washed. It just takes longer before the smell is noticeable. Also, it never is as BAD a stink as synthetics become.
I read somewhere that the spandex costumes used in "Star Trek : the next generation" reeked... until they switched to wool, in later seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness