Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 09:57 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
Nobody who says “toned” in a sentence about exercising has credibility.
Exactly! When I hear that word, I question whether the person has any credibility. Others agree:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...of-toning.html

https://www.mdanderson.org/cancerwis...159464001.html

https://www.clearcut-fitness.com/blo...he-toning-myth

https://crossfitmansfield.com/4362984-2/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2022, 05:31 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,651,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeZoned View Post
When you workout on daily basis, you will try many different routines including split, and having weeks where you hit the same muscle everyday of the week until pure muscle hypotrophy, then another week working another muscle group.

Prisoners often develop their chest by doing 100s of pushups every single day for years.
Working the same muscles everyday is not beneficial. This is well established exercise science. Being confined in a cell and doing what you have to do, is not an ideal method to be adopted by the population at large.

Old 05-12-2022, 06:12 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,096,251 times
Quote:
Yea yeah, you guys are real experts.

For most people, 'tone' means during strength training, the muscle retains more water. It looks more defined. It's even stronger from this water retention (and mind-muscle connection of course!). However, this is because the muscle is in a constant inflamed state. As soon as they stop exercising, this effect goes away quickly. Lean muscle gain was minimal if any - visual benefit large.

There is nothing you two "experts" can tell me, but keep reading those blogs. Do you see any results? If you don't see all your abs, you should try something different than reading blogs that people turn out a dime a dozen.
Actually, the widely accepted understanding of “toned” is simply lowering bodyfat percentage. It’s OK to be wrong, this is the internet.

Old 05-12-2022, 06:25 AM

I think of toned as something more often, but not exclusively, sought by women. A firming contouring of the body through lightly resistant exercise. It's slang (and dated) that has no real basis in exercise science. Nevertheless it is used often by people as a descriptor of their exercise goals.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:41 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,096,251 times
Quote:
Nope. Though that's certainly a goal.

Everyone who works out knows and experiences visual gains to the amount of muscle they have in a short period. This is often misattributed to lean muscle gain, when it's not at all. It's due to water retention, but visually it looks like more muscle.

People on creatine can gain 5lbs of a week in their muscles just from water. They look bulkier and more muscular but this effect goes away quickly when they stop working out and stop taking creatine.
“To tone up means to reduce the appearance of body fat by tightening up the muscles and giving them shape.”
- https://blog.nasm.org/toning-vs-bulking-up

“the term toned implies leanness in the body (low levels of body fat), noticeable muscle definition and shape, but not significant muscle size ("bulk")”
- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toning_exercises

Have a good one

Old 05-12-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I disagree completely. It maybe not beneficial to someone who just started weightlifting, but it's very useful for gaining muscle when you reached a plateau. Some of my biggest gains have been during periods of plateaus, when I focused on muscle group everyday for 1-2 months followed by 2weeks when otherwise a split was getting me nowhere.

We work some muscle groups everyday, eg our legs through normal daily activities.

Like I said, the modern consensus on this is wrong, and it comes from a few very limited studies in people not adapted to weight lifting/working out for long periods of time.
Uh, no it comes from the physiological fact that resistance rips muscle and that the muscle requires recovery time to reap significant benefit. Walking and normal activities are built into our physiology and don't add additional resistance to muscles that were not designed to be used for everyday activities. We don't walk around on our chest muscles all day and they were not designed for such activity. Similarly we don't walk around on our triceps.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...every-day-bad/

Old 05-12-2022, 09:03 AM

BTW plateaus are caused by doing the same exercises over and over as well as not incrementally increasing resistance. You don't effectively remedy that by doing the same thing over and over each day, you remedy it by increasing resistance or changing up the muscles used. So if you plateau on pushups, you add resistance to the pushup or change the style of the pushup you don't keep doing the same pushups day after day. You can also increase endurance with your pushups by increasing the total number you do in a given day, but not by doing them everyday.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 05-12-2022 at 09:39 AM..

Old 05-12-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Let's take an example, bench press.

For the longest time I plateaued at 315lbs, 1 rep. I could do the 1 rep on my good days, and fail on my bad days.

Weeks of trying, never got me to two.

I tried changing the routine where I focused on incline, made incremental gains, no dice. Decline, again no dice. It seemed I had hit a ceiling.

So on the advice of a world renowned personal trainer for Olympic athletes, I changed my workout plan where I worked my chest everyday.

I did some usual chest workouts on my chest days, on my none chest days I did 100push ups, 100 dips, every day for 2 months.

I did not try the 315lbs at all for 1 rep in this 2 month period. My chest was constantly sore, and my strength definitely declined.

I took 2 weeks off, chest completely recovered. I tried the bench press again, did 3 reps at 315lbs, and made steady gains until where I'm currently at, 7 reps. I made it up to 405lbs at 1 rep. Now nowhere near that as I'm 55.
Between the rest, mixing up your routines, and probably strengthening of some stablizer muscles that you were not getting from bench press alone, it probably helped. I'm not seeing this as the same as doing pushups everyday.

Old 05-12-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
That was just an example from prisoners, who do that everyday and build up their chest.
Not the ones who do standard pushups everyday. Maybe the ones who mix up the styles and add bench presses. You're not building up your chest much by doing standard pushups alone everyday. Again doing same muscles everyday is regressive.

Old 05-12-2022, 12:12 PM

You are offering anecdotal observational evidence that doesn't account for confounding variables to dispute established exercise science. You're just making it up. Okay, suit yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness