Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2022, 04:23 AM

6 posts, read 7,025 times

Advertisements

Hey there! About a month ago I asked you to rate the workout I had been doing for about 4 weeks at the time. Now, after having been training with it for 2 months, I feel like I need to change it a bit. I’ve grown a bit bigger and stronger, but my expertise de with my body tells me I would benefit from less work more times per week. So I’ve come up with this. For reference, I am 21 years old. 178 cm tall (5.10 ft) and weight about 74 kg with 17.5 % body fat.

It’s a full body split, done EVERY OTHER DAY. There’s workout A and B, they’re similar but with little variations.

Workout A

-Superset of 5 sets of explosive push ups + 5 sets of bicep curl (Bag with 5 kg on the push-ups. 10 kg dumbbells for bicep curls).

-Superset of 5 sets of shoulder press + 5 sets of squats (10 kg dumbbells for shoulder press. 13.5 kg dumbbells for squats).

-Superset of 5 sets of dumbbell row + tricep dips on bench (20.5 kg dumbbells for row).

Workout B

-Superset of 5 sets of explosive pushups + Hammer dumbbell curl (Same weight)

-Superset of 5 sets of lateral raises + 5 sets of Bulgarian squats. (6.5 kg dumbbell for lateral raises + 10kg dumbbells on squats.

-Superset of 5 sets of Australian pull-ups + 5 sets on skullcrashers (6.5 dumbbells for the skulcrashers).

As said on my other post, my main goal is hypertrophy. My main worry here is to not overtrain, as it could jeopardise growth. What to you think? Would be ok to do this every other day and keep upgrading the weight whenever exercise gets easy enough?

Also, I always warmup with 2 minutes of jumping jacks and 3 1 minute planks, which have become pretty easy overtime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 12:42 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guespe View Post
Hey there! About a month ago I asked you to rate the workout I had been doing for about 4 weeks at the time. Now, after having been training with it for 2 months, I feel like I need to change it a bit. I’ve grown a bit bigger and stronger, but my expertise de with my body tells me I would benefit from less work more times per week. So I’ve come up with this. For reference, I am 21 years old. 178 cm tall (5.10 ft) and weight about 74 kg with 17.5 % body fat.

It’s a full body split, done EVERY OTHER DAY. There’s workout A and B, they’re similar but with little variations.

Workout A

-Superset of 5 sets of explosive push ups + 5 sets of bicep curl (Bag with 5 kg on the push-ups. 10 kg dumbbells for bicep curls).

-Superset of 5 sets of shoulder press + 5 sets of squats (10 kg dumbbells for shoulder press. 13.5 kg dumbbells for squats).

-Superset of 5 sets of dumbbell row + tricep dips on bench (20.5 kg dumbbells for row).

Workout B

-Superset of 5 sets of explosive pushups + Hammer dumbbell curl (Same weight)

-Superset of 5 sets of lateral raises + 5 sets of Bulgarian squats. (6.5 kg dumbbell for lateral raises + 10kg dumbbells on squats.

-Superset of 5 sets of Australian pull-ups + 5 sets on skullcrashers (6.5 dumbbells for the skulcrashers).

As said on my other post, my main goal is hypertrophy. My main worry here is to not overtrain, as it could jeopardise growth. What to you think? Would be ok to do this every other day and keep upgrading the weight whenever exercise gets easy enough?

Also, I always warmup with 2 minutes of jumping jacks and 3 1 minute planks, which have become pretty easy overtime.
Did you come up with this workout because you don't have access to a gym or barbells?

Old 06-24-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Did you come up with this workout because you don't have access to a gym or barbells?
Hey! Basically yes. I live on a pretty isolated area, no GYM near by. I managed to buy a pull-ups bar to which I installed gym rings and a pair of adjustable dumbbells, each going from 2 to 24 kg. Also a bench and some resistance bands. That’s my equipment. For a while there, I tried to do dummbbell press for my chest, but no matter the effort, I never like I was truly working it, I did my reps slow and trying to connnect with the muscle and went to failure, but never felt right. Push-ups however allow me to feel the chest work and give a great pump, that’s why I switched to them.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guespe View Post
Hey! Basically yes. I live on a pretty isolated area, no GYM near by. I managed to buy a pull-ups bar to which I installed gym rings and a pair of adjustable dumbbells, each going from 2 to 24 kg. Also a bench and some resistance bands. That’s my equipment. For a while there, I tried to do dummbbell press for my chest, but no matter the effort, I never like I was truly working it, I did my reps slow and trying to connnect with the muscle and went to failure, but never felt right. Push-ups however allow me to feel the chest work and give a great pump, that’s why I switched to them.
I'm not a fan of dumbbell bench presses. You need a spotter to hand you the weights. Without a spotter, you either risk injury or you're not lifting enough weight.

Your biggest problems are you're not lifting heavy enough and you're limited in the exercises you can do. I'm much older than you, and I lift a lot heavier. Bench press, barbell squats, deadlifts, and pullups would be a huge improvement over what you're doing.

Old 06-25-2022, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I'm not a fan of dumbbell bench presses. You need a spotter to hand you the weights. Without a spotter, you either risk injury or you're not lifting enough weight.

Your biggest problems are you're not lifting heavy enough and you're limited in the exercises you can do. I'm much older than you, and I lift a lot heavier. Bench press, barbell squats, deadlifts, and pullups would be a huge improvement over what you're doing.
I see. I must say though that the current weights I’m working with are quite challenging for me. I first started taking this more or less seriously back on November 2021. However, as I had no clue about pretty much anything I hired an online sports coach and dietitian to help out. After some months of seeing no improvement in size or strength, I found out by double checking what he was sending to me that he had somehow screwed up his calculations in the diet, and had me on a caloric deficit for all that time (about 1700Kcal/day!!!), I found out about that 9 weeks ago, looked up for as such info as I could, and came up with a 2700 kcal a day diet, with 200 gr of protein, 320 of carbs and 60 of fats (Other than working out, my lifestyle is extremely sedentary), so really I don’t think the time training prior to that account for really much… This couple of months, though, have actually given me some size and I’ve been able to upgrade a couple of weights.

Old 06-29-2022, 05:06 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,021 times
-Superset of 5 sets
- 5 sets of

How many reps in each set?

2 minutes jumping jacks is bit much.

What I see missing is:
- burpees
- lunges
- abs - mountain climber is better than perpendicular planks
- abs - incline planks
- Core; turn and reach down to lift and raise dumbbells
- Upright Rows
- Two-Arm Triceps Kickback

You do a 2 minute warm-up but no small stretching before or additional stretching afterwards?

Old 06-29-2022, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
-Superset of 5 sets
- 5 sets of

What I see missing is:
- burpees
- lunges
- abs - incline planks
- Upright Rows

You do a 2 minute warm-up but no small stretching before or additional stretching afterwards?
Any jumping jacks are too much.

I've rarely seen any doing upright rows since the 1970s. That exercise is typically listed as one of the worst exercises. According to Wikipedia:

Quote:
Due to the amount of internal rotation of the humerus during this movement, many trainers and organizations (such as the ACSM and NFPT) consider this a contraindicated exercise for all trainees. Most will at least advise those with shoulder impingement issues to avoid it.

Old 06-30-2022, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
-Superset of 5 sets
- 5 sets of

What I see missing is:
- burpees
- lunges
- abs - incline planks
- Upright Rows

I’ll then reduce the planks to one of 1 min for warm up and add 2/3 sets of mountain climbers. To answer your question, each set is to 12 reps. Every time I reach that with an exercise I make it harder by adding weight. And yeah sorry I forgot that. I stretch a bit after the warm up, I must admit though I’ve been skipping the stretch after the workout. I’ll also add some of the exercises you mentioned above. Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated!

Old 01-23-2023, 07:52 AM

33 posts, read 39,222 times
Jumping jack is one of the most effective exercises for full-body burning calories. Jumping Jack helps to build bone strength over time. This fast-paced exercise increases the heart rate and makes you sweat in the same way as when you jump rope: It helps to improve overall fitness and is also helpful in a weight-loss program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness