Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 02:51 PM

538 posts, read 541,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Geez, if it feels that hard, I'd make some time in the evening.
That’s what she said! (Michael Scott)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 03:15 PM

10,375 posts, read 10,706,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaEnd View Post
Baloney, you have old man jelly fat on you like we all do. No one maintains naturally or avoids old man jelly fat, so be real.
There's some. My waist is up to 36" maybe 36.5". I'd like to get it in back to 34". I'm 6'4" and 230 lbs. I was about 170 lbs. when I graduated from college.

Old 08-14-2022, 11:49 AM

10,380 posts, read 6,934,361 times
I lost 35 lbs and became physically weak. I went down to 195...

Now, I'm back up almost where I was, and I can move 450# bedridden patients solo, again.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:42 PM

3,176 posts, read 1,042,402 times
I remember another method that I used in the past. Exercising only in the mind. I was very ill and in pain so I could not exercise. At all. Had to be in bed for hours and hour/day. What I did:

I was in bed, on my back, relaxing position, with my arms and legs relaxed as if dead.
I started to concentrate/visualize that I tense and then relax my left foot, lower part, then visualize that I tense hold and relax the upper part of the foot. Then I would visualize the right foot.

Tense the lower part for a 5-6 seconds, keep the tension for the same number of seconds and then relax while counting the same number of seconds.

You do this for the entire body while in bed, horizontally, as if you are dead. Left foot, then right, left arm, then right, etc, etc. start from the feet and go up gradually up to the neck. Left part of the neck then right part.

You breathe in while you tense the body part 5 sec, hold the breath while keeping the tension 5 sec and then breathe out while relaxing the muscles/body part 5 sec. The tension has to increase gradually and not be too tense at the maximum point in 1 sec so not fast. Has to be a mild tension and increased gently, gradually. So not forcing anything.

This form of movement has a name but I can't remember it. I'll try to remember and come back and write it here. Basically, it's used by ill people, injured athletes, older individuals that want to keep their muscles mass intact but can not move/exercise for months etc.

A few studies have been conducted on this. Two groups, one that exercised for real and the second group that just imagined/visualized in their head that they exercised. Same minutes, same form of exercise, same days etc. Using this method. They incresed their performance almost the same. First group by 25 % and second group by 24 %.

The power of mind. Don't underestimate it.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:45 PM

13,085 posts, read 9,616,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
What motivates me? Visiting the local Walmart.
Ah, so true.

Old 08-14-2022, 05:54 PM

13,934 posts, read 8,110,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I workout on avg 4 days out of the week. And the only time that I can do it is 1st thing in the morning. That means I need to wake up stupid early.

Some days it's just difficult. Whether it be your body being "off", or just short on time and sleep, or your mood is just "blah". I need some kind of external motivation to push me.

I find that while I'm eating my pre-workout meal I can motivate myself by visiting sites with "motivation" meme's. Or look at meme's to do with fitness. And yes all those super fit bodies are beautiful and actually does motivate me a bit.

What do you do that helps during rough times?
The fact I am getting older.

I have to eat right, watch my weight and do a bit of exercise (with 10 pound weights) 5 days a week. I also walk about one mile 5 days a week.

I'm almost 65 and want to still be active when I'm (hopefully) pushing 100.

My sister is 66 and obese and my younger brother 62 is overweight. The funny thing is my brother's wife is slim and a big shot with Weight Watchers. However, their daughter (who is 25) is a full on blimp which is even more weird than my overweight brother.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:23 PM

5,121 posts, read 2,174,224 times
LOL. I like to go to the local Safeway and do some people watching! That’s plenty motivation right there…

Old 09-02-2022, 01:42 PM

22,410 posts, read 29,534,074 times
I've been lagging the last two days but just booked 10 days to Miami starting next Saturday so I'll be hitting it hard till then. Plus I'll workout in Miami to get ready for Vegas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness