Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 12:52 PM

1,655 posts, read 779,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
So you're going to the gym to train your body to look better but then it's not okay to look better with the clothes you wear? Is that right?
The gym is the place to get sweaty, move around, get red in the face…have a trail of sweat covering your clothes…it doesn’t have to be the fashion show. Same way with push mowing my acre lawn…yeah, it’s a workout and probably does something to the look of my body but I’m not dressing to impress people who see me doing it.

Old 09-14-2022, 01:01 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,029,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
The gym is the place to get sweaty, move around, get red in the face…have a trail of sweat covering your clothes…it doesn’t have to be the fashion show. Same way with push mowing my acre lawn…yeah, it’s a workout and probably does something to the look of my body but I’m not dressing to impress people who see me doing it.
wearing a clean shirt with no holes in it is not a fashion show. It is self respect and respect towards others to not expose them to you looking like a homeless slob.

Old 09-14-2022, 01:06 PM

9,452 posts, read 8,433,608 times
Quote:
So where is appropriate to dress nicely in your opinion? Gym and mowing lawns are out.

Old 09-14-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
wearing a clean shirt with no holes in it is not a fashion show. It is self respect and respect towards others to not expose them to you looking like a homeless slob.
If someone having a hole or stain on the shirt they are working out in makes you think “homeless slob” perhaps you need to look within yourself at your own preconceived notions.

And do note — I never said anything about being dirty…as in stinky. A shirt could be a bit tattered from simply being washed a lot and worn while doing physical activity.

Old 09-14-2022, 01:08 PM

102,258 posts, read 108,238,692 times
Quote:
Sounds very idealistic to push this “non-noticing” schtick on everyone. And noticing isn’t necessarily judging the person.

What sort of form are you trying to see that only a sports bra allows?
Some gyms don't allow women to work out with only sports bras on top. And men are required to wear shirts, too.

OP, I think some of what's behind the trend simply marketing. Sports clothes manufacturers sell their wares as having moisture-wicking capacity, which keeps the wearer cool and comfortable, blah blah. And of course some of them are going to design clothing that's fashionable, even "edgy", to make as many sales as possible. And consumers are going to follow fashion. Do some deliberately choose the more provocative outfits to try to get attention? Sure; there are all kinds of people out there. A lot are just looking for comfort, though.

What surprises me is, that people can afford to buy that stuff! It's not cheap, even if bought on sale. I'm old-fashioned; I wear shorts or old, loose-fitting jeans and a t-shirt. I don't need to be spending money on different types of clothing for different sports: bike shorts, workout clothes, yoga pants, etc. The proliferation of specialized clothing for different activities is an example of the capitalist system always looking for new markets to expand into.

To each their own, I guess.

Old 09-14-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some gyms don't allow women to work out with only sports bras on top. And men are required to wear shirts, too.

OP, I think some of what's behind the trend simply marketing. Sports clothes manufacturers sell their wares as having moisture-wicking capacity, which keeps the wearer cool and comfortable, blah blah. And of course some of them are going to design clothing that's fashionable, even "edgy", to make as many sales as possible. And consumers are going to follow fashion. Do some deliberately choose the more provocative outfits to try to get attention? Sure; there are all kinds of people out there. A lot are just looking for comfort, though.

What surprises me is, that people can afford to buy that stuff! It's not cheap, even if bought on sale. I'm old-fashioned; I wear shorts or old, loose-fitting jeans and a t-shirt. I don't need to be spending money on different types of clothing for different sports: bike shorts, workout clothes, yoga pants, etc. The proliferation of specialized clothing for different activities is an example of the capitalist system always looking for new markets to expand into.

To each their own, I guess.
I wouldn’t go to a gym where the men are shirtless and women are in sports bras with shorts that could basically be panties. To each their own but that’s a bit much for me.

Old 09-14-2022, 01:19 PM

9,452 posts, read 8,433,608 times
Quote:
There are a lot of people who now work remotely and do not have to dress up daily for work. So some of us will spend that money on workout clothes since that's what we wear 95% of the time now working from the home office. Gym clothing has always been around. Nike, Adidas, etc. have been around forever.

Old 09-14-2022, 01:22 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,994,809 times
Sports bra and leggings is my standard home wear.

Having to actually put on an underwire bra now falls under the category of "trials and tribulations."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-14-2022, 01:36 PM

102,258 posts, read 108,238,692 times
Quote:
I wouldn’t go to a gym where the men are shirtless and women are in sports bras with shorts that could basically be panties. To each their own but that’s a bit much for me.
I was saying, there are plenty of gyms for your preferences. And btw, you're far from alone. I was just responding to your comment about women working out in sports bras. You don't have to see that if you don't want to. You can work out where there are more conservative standards of dress.

But the "fashionable and edgy" gym wear I mentioned wasn't about pushing the envelope in terms of lack of coverage. It was about women's workout outfits that are designed to accentuate the figure, while the wearer is fully clothed. I've only seen that a couple of times, when I had guest passes to high-end gyms. Nobody wears that kind of stuff at the publicly-funded or YMCA gyms I go to.

Old 09-14-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I was saying, there are plenty of gyms for your preferences. And btw, you're far from alone. I was just responding to your comment about women working out in sports bras. You don't have to see that if you don't want to. You can work out where there are more conservative standards of dress.

But the "fashionable and edgy" gym wear I mentioned wasn't about pushing the envelope in terms of lack of coverage. It was about women's workout outfits that are designed to accentuate the figure, while the wearer is fully clothed. I've only seen that a couple of times, when I had guest passes to high-end gyms. Nobody wears that kind of stuff at the publicly-funded or YMCA gyms I go to.
Yeah, I know you were just responding…please don’t think I took what you said in any kind of way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness