Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 11:42 PM

1,655 posts, read 774,488 times

Advertisements

When I go to the gym I see women wearing the tightest pants they can possibly fit into…often with their boobs on display and belly also showing. Obviously a matching outfit meant to look good. Men often have certain attire they like to wear too…little tank tops, short shorts, trendy kicks, etc. I know this isn’t some new trend among gym rats but wouldn’t loose/older sightly worn clothing be more comfortable? Not really trying to insult anyone…I just seem to remember a time when I was younger when people wore whatever old clothes they had with some well worn sneakers that they’d only wear to the gym. Seems like many people now want to look like the fitness people on tik tok or something.

Old 09-14-2022, 03:58 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Maybe they want to look trendy and certainly because they can. Buying gym clothes is a first step forward a new commitment and a great motivator for many.
The gym clothing industries is booming too.

Old 09-14-2022, 03:59 AM

28 posts, read 24,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
When I go to the gym I see women wearing the tightest pants they can possibly fit into…often with their boobs on display and belly also showing. Obviously a matching outfit meant to look good. Men often have certain attire they like to wear too…little tank tops, short shorts, trendy kicks, etc. I know this isn’t some new trend among gym rats but wouldn’t loose/older sightly worn clothing be more comfortable? Not really trying to insult anyone…I just seem to remember a time when I was younger when people wore whatever old clothes they had with some well worn sneakers that they’d only wear to the gym. Seems like many people now want to look like the fitness people on tik tok or something.
Personally, I'm with you on the part that comfortable worn clothes should be much better(that's what I gravitate to), but some points are here to be adressed.
Short shorts: You don;t really want anything longer than you knee, since it might get into the way of you squat/DL movement. You either want short shorts or really baggy pants. Out of 2 my preference is shorts since just feels better.
Tank tops: not a huge fan, but can see where it's coming from. It's once again, much less restriction in the movements(My choice is oversized hoodies).

There are definitely a more fashion driven trends right now in the gym, after all it's not same as it used to. People mostly train to look good now vs people mostly training to be strong.

Old 09-14-2022, 04:22 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
No, lose clothing is not more comfortable. I find it really annoying when I am In a class and it is warm and the shirt is riding up because it is not tight enough. The same thing can happen with pants. The thought of an oversized hoodie is a nightmare. I would just be so hot. And since you are not a woman, I have to tell you that the more compressive bras are also more comfortable for working out. Having the girls shaking around while you are running on the treadmill or on the elliptical is not comfortable, nor are wearing pants that keep sliding down and have to be pulled up every 5 minutes.

Last edited by RamenAddict; 09-14-2022 at 05:21 AM..

Old 09-14-2022, 04:54 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Maybe they want to look trendy and certainly because they can. Buying gym clothes is a first step forward a new commitment and a great motivator for many.
The gym clothing industries is booming too.
Bingo.

"When you look good, you feel good, when you feel good you play good."

Attire, even in a gym, is an expression of individuality and looking good is a massive motivator to even go to the gym. It can seem a bit "vain" but "showing off" your arms or flat stomach or booty can be an excellent motivator to continue working hard and to be proud of the progress you've made so far. (men stare with envy or admiration at the muscles of other men, just as much as we stare at women in tight clothing)

Granted, those who are not in the same shape might be demoralized at people in good shape, but it's a free country.

Old 09-14-2022, 05:47 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
Why?

"Look at me, I'm at attention ho'"

Old 09-14-2022, 06:18 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
When I was young and single it was to look cute for the guys, maybe get their attention and they might ask us out. Pretty basic.

Old 09-14-2022, 07:52 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Maybe they want to show off their bodies? Why do all that hard work if you're going to wear baggie clothing and hide your muscles?

There are certainly people who go WAAAAY overboard (dudes in string tank tops, women who basically wear underwear, etc.) but I generally don't get bothered by it. Good for them, they're showing off their hard work.

Old 09-14-2022, 07:56 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
People get criticized for wearing sloppy, baggy clothes in public all the time--why would the gym be any different? People generally want to look presentable, and clothing function in the gym is also important.

Old 09-14-2022, 08:05 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
In form fitting clothes it is easier to check your form, single people want to look good in case they meet someone, and people just like to look good. What's the point to all that working out just to wear sloppy clothes?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.