Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 05:36 AM

9,504 posts, read 5,291,959 times

Advertisements

Anyone taken up Pickleball?? I've signed up with a womens' group to learn to play. Suggestions for shoes and clothing? they say nothing special other than supporting shoes but I assume maybe a decent running shoe and some flexi clothes. ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2022, 10:55 AM

10,618 posts, read 7,833,978 times
No, but I see enthusiasts playing in an adjacent court at times at our racquet club. I would wear running shoes, because that's what I wear for tennis. Having a thinner sole is maybe just a personal preference of mine, but it seems to be superior for moving quickly. Shorts and T-shirt, naturally.

Also, perhaps some ear protection? Contact with the ball makes a helluva racket.

Old 09-03-2022, 09:02 AM

10,375 posts, read 10,706,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Anyone taken up Pickleball?? I've signed up with a womens' group to learn to play. Suggestions for shoes and clothing? they say nothing special other than supporting shoes but I assume maybe a decent running shoe and some flexi clothes. ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
No, but I see enthusiasts playing in an adjacent court at times at our racquet club. I would wear running shoes, because that's what I wear for tennis. Having a thinner sole is maybe just a personal preference of mine, but it seems to be superior for moving quickly. Shorts and T-shirt, naturally.

Also, perhaps some ear protection? Contact with the ball makes a helluva racket.
I'm a big fan of running shoes and have about 10 pair in my closet after running hundreds of races over 25 years. Running shoes however are not very good for other sports. Running shoes are designed to do one thing and that is running long distances in a straight direction. They are not good for sports such as basketball, tennis, pickleball, and weightlifting. A court shoe designed for basketball or tennis is best for pickleball. Court shoes have a solid tread. They are designed to provide stability in all directions.

Old 09-03-2022, 06:32 PM

501 posts, read 362,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I'm a big fan of running shoes and have about 10 pair in my closet after running hundreds of races over 25 years. Running shoes however are not very good for other sports. Running shoes are designed to do one thing and that is running long distances in a straight direction. They are not good for sports such as basketball, tennis, pickleball, and weightlifting. A court shoe designed for basketball or tennis is best for pickleball. Court shoes have a solid tread. They are designed to provide stability in all directions.
I always appreciate a very concise and accurate post.

Old 09-03-2022, 06:58 PM

19,737 posts, read 10,173,766 times
I played when it was popular here about 5 years ago. Not many left playing it.

Old 09-04-2022, 06:51 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 26 days ago)

35,751 posts, read 18,091,770 times
You're going to need court shoes. People who buy just nice supportive athletic shoes don't have the grip necessary for the really quick stop start movements, and they fall.

Also - word to the wise, truly, don't run backwards, EVER. If you can turn around and run forwards to the ball and still get it, fine, or just let it go. Hey, that's a point you're going to miss.

Have fun! In my experience, it's a great group of people and good exercise.

edited to add: I just now saw VI's post - sorry to repeat - but it's true.

Old 09-04-2022, 07:53 AM

538 posts, read 541,189 times
PLEASE - warm up before getting out on the court!

I was warming up before the match by volleying across the net. I never gave a thought to warming up before stepping on the court. I walk 4 - 6 miles a day at a fast pace. Never had an injury.

Well, about 2 minutes into the warmup, I attempt to return a shot, left foot does not slide on outside court surface. Feel a “pop” in my left calf, and go down. No pain, and I can move my foot in all directions, so “Dr” Cuzzant thinks it’s a bad calf injury.

An hour later at clinic, “Looks like you tore your Achilles’ tendon.” Surgery was exactly 13 months ago, yesterday. Still not at 100%. Of course I’m 70, so I didn’t expect to fully recover.

It’s not fun. Warm up, don’t be a Cuzzant.

Old 09-04-2022, 07:56 AM

6,494 posts, read 6,706,441 times
Quote:
Additionally, some places require court shoes, which I learned when I was just starting out and assumed my running shoes would fine.

Old 09-26-2022, 03:28 PM

699 posts, read 1,016,895 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm just learning and this is what we were instructed with regard to proper shoes.

Old 09-26-2022, 03:31 PM

699 posts, read 1,016,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzzant View Post
PLEASE - warm up before getting out on the court!

I was warming up before the match by volleying across the net. I never gave a thought to warming up before stepping on the court. I walk 4 - 6 miles a day at a fast pace. Never had an injury.

Well, about 2 minutes into the warmup, I attempt to return a shot, left foot does not slide on outside court surface. Feel a “pop” in my left calf, and go down. No pain, and I can move my foot in all directions, so “Dr” Cuzzant thinks it’s a bad calf injury.

An hour later at clinic, “Looks like you tore your Achilles’ tendon.” Surgery was exactly 13 months ago, yesterday. Still not at 100%. Of course I’m 70, so I didn’t expect to fully recover.

It’s not fun. Warm up, don’t be a Cuzzant.
Thanks very much for this!! Had no idea about importance of warm up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness