Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 10:00 AM

310 posts, read 324,112 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong ladies. I still exercise and weights are a part of it. And Denise earned her body - but her body is her job.

I know women my age and into their 70's who are still so vein they deny themselves simple pleasures which IMO is ridiculous. So I think it can be harmful when fitness professionals tell older women they can get a bikini body. They CANT unless they have incredible genetics and are willing to devote themselves to diet and exercise to excess. When is it okay for older women to just be okay with our bodies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2022, 10:56 AM

17,402 posts, read 16,553,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
Don't get me wrong ladies. I still exercise and weights are a part of it. And Denise earned her body - but her body is her job.

I know women my age and into their 70's who are still so vein they deny themselves simple pleasures which IMO is ridiculous. So I think it can be harmful when fitness professionals tell older women they can get a bikini body. They CANT unless they have incredible genetics and are willing to devote themselves to diet and exercise to excess. When is it okay for older women to just be okay with our bodies?
If it's a priority for them to have a beach body, they have the option of doing surgical procedure and lipo to keep things as taunt as possible.

I don't think that Denise has done that but certainly many of the celebrities that we see do.

Old 10-10-2022, 11:15 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post

Diet and exercise to excess? I'm not sure of that. My wife and her best female friend are in very good shape. They have not dedicated their lives to fitness, both have prioritized their careers. They have both been ardent yoginis for most of their adult lives, however, and enjoy aerobic activities such as kayaking, hiking and nordic skiing. Neither denies themselves simple pleasures that I'm aware of.

I guess it depends upon what is considered a "bikini body". If it simply means not overweight and good muscle tone for their age, many women are certainly there.

Starting from a status of being unfit as an older woman, achieving an appearance comparable to Austin's would certainly be a major challenge.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:24 PM

310 posts, read 324,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Diet and exercise to excess? I'm not sure of that. My wife and her best female friend are in very good shape. They have not dedicated their lives to fitness, both have prioritized their careers. They have both been ardent yoginis for most of their adult lives, however, and enjoy aerobic activities such as kayaking, hiking and nordic skiing. Neither denies themselves simple pleasures that I'm aware of.

I guess it depends upon what is considered a "bikini body". If it simply means not overweight and good muscle tone for their age, many women are certainly there.

Starting from a status of being unfit as an older woman, achieving an appearance comparable to Austin's would certainly be a major challenge.
The bikini body that is being promoted is a perfect one. That is my problem. I have always been fit, but I am calling BS on applying even more pressure on women who at an older age should just be happy they are fit and in shape, and not striving to become a fitness model. When does the madness end?

Old 10-11-2022, 08:13 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,462,650 times
Advertising, marketing and media have always promoted a ”difficult to obtain” look. I remember as a little girl looking at my mom's magazines and being amazed at the beautiful models. That has not changed.

It is nothing new under the sun. I would encourage one to be content with good things in their lives. If being fit as an older woman is important to that person, then that is a choice that person can make to put in the time and effort.

Even men now have pressure on them via instagram and fitness icons to have that male model, chiseled look. I cheered in the car one time when there was a radio discussion on how pressures are put on men to have a six pack and look a certain way. ”Bout time!” I said to myself as I smiled.

There is great value in a woman who has given birth to children and has taken the time away from self to raise them well. They most likely won't have a perfect body but can feel very accomplished for their role.

Comparison is a choice we make that makes us less content with ourselves. There will always be people better off or less off than us. Sometimes taking our eyes off of ourselves and finding ways to focus on others can make a vast difference in our contentment level. Nothing wrong with taking care of ourselves. We should. But using our healthy self to also help others in some way can really grow us.

Old 10-14-2022, 09:02 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,457,534 times
Smoking hot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness