Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2022, 10:29 AM

160 posts, read 146,757 times

Advertisements

For example, can you take a week off every 2 months or how does it work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2022, 11:12 AM

101 posts, read 171,112 times
Typically, muscles recover between 48-72 hours depending on age and a few other factors. I'm not sure the nature of your question- do you mean how often should you take off or how often can you take off without losing strength? They are different answers. Also, your intensity will come into play. If you are just doing casual lifting for basic fitness, I wouldn't take a week off. If you are going really hard, then taking a week or lower lifts is beneficial.

Research has shown that the older you are, the faster you can lose strength and the longer it takes to recover it. Even a week off nad you can drop 10-15% if you are older than 40.

Old 11-07-2022, 02:55 PM

9,389 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Never. Unless I'm traveling, injured or sick I do not take extended breaks off from lifting, especially not my legs/core.

Actually, let me correct myself, when I travel I always try and find a gym nearby if I can.

Old 11-07-2022, 04:04 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
I only work legs once a week anyway, thighs that is. I do calves about twice in a seven or eight day period. I'm 68 and do very heavy leg presses so it takes 6 to 8 days to recover.

Old 11-07-2022, 04:18 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajitajamboree View Post
Typically, muscles recover between 48-72 hours depending on age and a few other factors. I'm not sure the nature of your question- do you mean how often should you take off or how often can you take off without losing strength? They are different answers. Also, your intensity will come into play. If you are just doing casual lifting for basic fitness, I wouldn't take a week off. If you are going really hard, then taking a week or lower lifts is beneficial.

Research has shown that the older you are, the faster you can lose strength and the longer it takes to recover it. Even a week off nad you can drop 10-15% if you are older than 40.
I disagree with that. I'm 68 and getting stronger in movements I do only every 6 to 8 days.

This morning I did 995 lbs for 8 reps on the leg press, not quite to thighs at 90 degrees, and finishing off with 645 for 20 reps with thighs just past 90 degrees. I expect to be up to 1185 lbs which is the maximum the leg press machine will hold - 24 45 lb plates (the slide weighs 105 lbs), by Feb or Mar next year. So I don't agree that you lose strength in a week once you pass age 40.

Old 11-08-2022, 04:19 AM

160 posts, read 146,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajitajamboree View Post

How often can I take a break. I started working out about 2 months ago. I took a break because I couldn't really do the exercise how it's suppose to be done. I had trouble doing lunges and bodyweight squats. I couldn't properly execute them. I think I was doing too much too soon. I tried googling but it's hard to find an answer for my question.

Old 11-08-2022, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I disagree with that. I'm 68 and getting stronger in movements I do only every 6 to 8 days.

This morning I did 995 lbs for 8 reps on the leg press, not quite to thighs at 90 degrees, and finishing off with 645 for 20 reps with thighs just past 90 degrees. I expect to be up to 1185 lbs which is the maximum the leg press machine will hold - 24 45 lb plates (the slide weighs 105 lbs), by Feb or Mar next year. So I don't agree that you lose strength in a week once you pass age 40.
I would say that you are more of an exception than a rule, Michael. Congrats, by the way, those are impressive numbers. Clearly though, you are more than a casual lifter and have quite a bit of experience, if you are maxing out the machine!

Old 11-08-2022, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
How often can I take a break. I started working out about 2 months ago. I took a break because I couldn't really do the exercise how it's suppose to be done. I had trouble doing lunges and bodyweight squats. I couldn't properly execute them. I think I was doing too much too soon. I tried googling but it's hard to find an answer for my question.
OK, gotcha. So, you are new to lifting. Stick with it! It is the best way to improve your physical health and a long term healthy lifestyle.

Good for you for recognizing you were not keeping proper form; that is very important in order to prevent injury and also to progress properly. Bodyweight squats and lunges are great movements and simple to build upon with handheld dumbbells. For squats, try doing bodyweight ones on the wall- do a google for "wall squats". The wall helps take off some of the weight, making the movement simpler. You may find walking lunges easier than standing. I'd try that.

For time off, a week may be fine if you are starting out. I still think, though, that you could do legs 2x a week in short time once your body starts adjusting.

Old 11-08-2022, 10:20 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
For example, can you take a week off every 2 months or how does it work?
Quote:
The best approach is not to plan or schedule a break. Things happen that will cause you to have to stop working out. Covid happened and my gym shut down for two and a half months. I was only able to do pull-ups and pushups during that time. When the gym reopened, I got back into my leg workout doing squats, deadlifts and various machines. My wife was in the hospital three times, and I was in the hospital twice. These were all unplanned breaks, so no reason to plan a break.

Regarding doing exercises, it sounds like you're working out at home. I suggest joining a gym. A gym will have machines that are not difficult to do. You can learn by watching other people. It will also likely have mirrors so you can watch your form when you start doing barbell exercises.

Old 11-08-2022, 03:47 PM

287 posts, read 363,377 times
I'm 61 and do high intensity interval training through upper body, lower body, and straight cardio 2 times a week each. If I skip a workout, I'll feel a little more sore afterwards the next time I do that routine. If I skip 2 of the same workout in a week, I'll definitely notice a strength decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness