Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 02:21 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,684,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8t3rs View Post
It’s related to my genetics and what fits my personality. In my 20s, I use to be a heavy lifter and I gained a lot of muscle and WEIGHT. Then one day in my 30s, as the local big guy, I was asked to carry an old heavy printer basically the length of a football field. During that move my biceps and shoulders were blazing, I was pissed at myself. I had to make a change. Additionally and most importantly, my blood test results were very high for cholesterol, blood pressure, and pre-diabetes. All the above pointed to more endurance. Doctor agreed. Plus it matches my personality, I was that crazy kid running around driving parents nuts.

By the way, stomach strength helps the back.
I would never recommend you routine. Doing 500 sit-ups is not building stomach strength. Weighted vests are not good for your knees. You are better off lifting to failure, using heavier weight for less reps (no more than 12).

Do what you want to do. I'm not here to argue. I just suggest you do some research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2022, 03:45 PM

746 posts, read 416,553 times
Default Funny guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I would never recommend you routine. Doing 500 sit-ups is not building stomach strength. Weighted vests are not good for your knees. You are better off lifting to failure, using heavier weight for less reps (no more than 12).

Do what you want to do. I'm not here to argue. I just suggest you do some research.
Ha ha, your research apparently matches what your looking for because I completely disagree. I’m in my mid 50s and I have no issues with my knees so research on. I am good to go. Let’s agree to disagree.

Old 12-17-2022, 04:48 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,693,195 times
Quote:
It’s related to my genetics and what fits my personality. In my 20s, I use to be a heavy lifter and I gained a lot of muscle and WEIGHT. Then one day in my 30s, as the local big guy, I was asked to carry an old heavy printer basically the length of a football field. During that move my biceps and shoulders were blazing, I was pissed at myself. I had to make a change. Additionally and most importantly, my blood test results were very high for cholesterol, blood pressure, and pre-diabetes. All the above pointed to more endurance. Doctor agreed. Plus it matches my personality, I was that crazy kid running around driving parents nuts.

By the way, stomach strength helps the back.
On the juice? I might know a guy with those problems but no more pre-diabetes it is full on type II now from a couple decades of experimenting with the juice.

Old 12-17-2022, 04:57 PM

3,280 posts, read 1,761,084 times
Half hour of free weights followed by an hour of yoga every day.

Old 12-17-2022, 05:41 PM

1,063 posts, read 913,942 times
currently:

i am aiming for agility, flexibility, and mobility.
strength itself appears as only a by-product.

making every-day "stuff" harder....
a. park as far away from the entrance as safely possible so i have to walk more.
b. do not use elevators unless it is required or restricted otherwise. use the stairs.
c. help other people with what they cannot handle. that is the strength part.

Old 12-17-2022, 09:25 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,684,862 times
Quote:
Ha ha, your research apparently matches what your looking for because I completely disagree. I’m in my mid 50s and I have no issues with my knees so research on. I am good to go. Let’s agree to disagree.
I used to say the same thing. I'm 67. I ran over 200 races after I turned 40. Played full court basketball up until four years ago. My knees are now hurting too much to run or play basketball. I think almost everyone end up with knee issues sooner or later. I was running and playing basketball at over 200 lbs. and I'm now up to 235 lbs. At 6'4" and fairly muscular, I'm not fat, it is just too my wear on the knees over the years.

Weight vests are fine for exercises like dips and pullups, not walking or running. This is nothing new, my high school track coach told me the same thing about weight vests and ankle weights in 1973.

Old 12-17-2022, 09:42 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,145,441 times
3 days a week in the below format:
Upper body 1
Lower body 1
Upper body 2
Lower body 2
....repeat

I try to do cardio on non strength training days, though i am struggling to be consistent with that.

I am in my early 40's and recovery is not what it used to be in my 20's. Also, life is kinda busy.

I started working out at 26 yrs old when I used to weigh 132 pounds. I am right now 178 pounds, so i don't think I would be gaining anymore muscle mass naturally.

5'8", male

Old 12-20-2022, 02:22 PM

393 posts, read 410,084 times
36 minutes elliptical, intense, 200 situps, 35 pushups, stretching, toe raises, calf exercises. Usually takes me a total of 45 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness