Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 11:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,340 times

Advertisements

I'm a female with a large, heavy chest. I am quite tall weighing 13 stone so I am slim, but I plan to lose at least 6 pounds more. However my chest area is still large, I recently lost weight down from 16 stone in about 9 months and I'm currently 13 stone. The weight loss made no difference to my breast size. Everytime I run, I get friction burns under my breasts and on my collarbones to the point where the skin is rubbed off and left red raw and really sore. To start with I wore a sports bra (not wired) and I think because the weight of my breasts then pulled it down it kept rubbing on my collarbones so I got friction burns there. So I then decided to wear a non wired cheap bra underneath for extra support and I got friction burns underneath too. It looks terrible when I undress and my husband said 'oh my god, what happened to your skin'. It's a pain and each time I run I have to put plasters over them all and plasters on me where my sports bra might rub against me. Does anyone have advice about this? I don't want to stop running, it's really good for my mental health, fitness and maintaining my weight loss. Does anyone think if I bought a supportive sports bra it would make a difference? The one I have is just a bog standard one from JD sports which just holds me in from the tightness of it, but I suppose it doesn't offer proper support from all the jiggling about

Last edited by useranonymous; 12-07-2021 at 11:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 02:55 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,349,908 times
X13

Old 12-08-2021, 07:24 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,507,466 times
Since you're using stones as a weight measurement, I'm fairly certain you're not in the US. Do they sell Aquaphor where you live? This stuff is like a miracle cure for any skin abrasion/rash. It will also prevent a rash from occurring.

https://www.aquaphorus.com/healing-ointment/

Old 12-08-2021, 07:24 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,705,386 times
Hi OP- this is primarily an American board. It sounds like you are about 180 poundsish, for those of us who are clueless when it comes to what a stone is.

I don’t know what sports stores are in the UK, but I’d definitely recommend a high support bra for women who have larger chests. There is a big difference between a “low” support bra and a “high” support bra. I don’t have a particularly large chest (about a D cup, but a very small band size) and high impact in “low” support is not comfortable at all. I think Sweaty Betty is a UK company that has good sports bras for women with larger chests. There may be some less expensive brands, but this may be something worth investing in.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,340 times
Hiyah. Thank you both for your replies

Old 12-08-2021, 01:46 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,292,077 times
You might try Body Glide. I know that Amazon sells it (in the US anyway), but also, any running store should have it, or a similar product. Check out the Runner's World forums too. There is (or used to be) a Women's Running sub-forum, you might get some good feedback if you post your question there.

Old 12-09-2021, 03:57 PM

6,477 posts, read 4,011,927 times
Yes, I agree with Body Glide, or perhaps soft paper tape applied over areas where you get friction burns (the tape takes the abrasion rather than your skin-- not band-aids {plasters}, which don't adhere to your skin so you'll still get rubbing from the band-aids instead).

And yes, assess what your sports bras are like. I do know of women who wear two-- whether both are high-impact bras, I don't know. Hopefully you will receive responses as well from some more "gifted" women here who can share what works for them.

Old 01-26-2023, 07:45 AM

33 posts, read 39,398 times
You can run pain-free by using moisturizer or other lotions like petroleum jelly or hypoallergenic balm, which will reduce the impact of friction. Cover all of the common chafing points. That includes the buttocks, armpits, nipples, and inner thighs.

Old 01-27-2023, 01:11 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,292,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmothysmith01 View Post
You can run pain-free by using moisturizer or other lotions like petroleum jelly or hypoallergenic balm, which will reduce the impact of friction. Cover all of the common chafing points. That includes the buttocks, armpits, nipples, and inner thighs.
These are not nearly as effective as anti-chafing products designed for this specific purpose. Moisturizers and Vaseline (or similar) rub off fairly easily. They also stain clothing.

Old 01-27-2023, 03:42 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,698,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
These are not nearly as effective as anti-chafing products designed for this specific purpose. Moisturizers and Vaseline (or similar) rub off fairly easily. They also stain clothing.
It depends how far you are running. Vaseline worked until I started running marathons. For distances over 15 miles, I put Band-Aids over my nipples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness