Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2023, 10:13 PM

265 posts, read 239,495 times

Advertisements

So I do jujitsu/ wrestling. I want to grow my biceps and was wondering how to go about it? As of now I hit biceps twice a week for 30 minutes. I get about 4 exercises in for 10-12 reps, 3-4 sets, for a weight I can do 12 times. I seen all the Youtube videos, google searches, but I am looking for a book on this. Or suggestions on what exercises to start of with. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2023, 12:06 AM

3,695 posts, read 2,415,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
So I do jujitsu/ wrestling. I want to grow my biceps and was wondering how to go about it? As of now I hit biceps twice a week for 30 minutes. I get about 4 exercises in for 10-12 reps, 3-4 sets, for a weight I can do 12 times. I seen all the Youtube videos, google searches, but I am looking for a book on this. Or suggestions on what exercises to start of with. Thanks.
How many days in between of rest are you getting before hitting your arms in the twice per week bicep workouts?

Worth noting is that most of the arm is composed of the triceps which have three heads. Gotta hit the triceps.

Measure your arms cold flexed, and then write the number down and measure them again in 6 weeks or so.

When you're hitting chest exercise you're hitting your triceps (I know you know this) and when hitting back you're hitting your biceps.

Being that bis and tris are smallish muscles they may (or may not) bet over-trained more easily. Depends on your body and your frequency.

There are tons of YT vids on this....and as usual....it's often too much information when it should be simple.

Here is my favorite Arm workout motivational video with some good bi and tri exercises (that you probably know).

He's got a good pair of guns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-7mQW_8Emc&t=227s

Old 05-03-2023, 05:17 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,670,560 times
What I have found that works for me is progressive overloading and drop sets. But as the poster above said... triceps do a lot of work towards making your biceps "appear" bigger.

I only focus on each muscle group once per week and have had pretty good results.

I do 4 supersets (one bicep - one tricep) of each exercise with a 45 second break between sets. I usually average about 8-10 different movements (4 supersets of each one).

1 - heaviest weight that I can manage to fail at 8 reps with proper form
2 - a weight that I can do 10-12 reps on with proper form
3 - a lighter weight that I can do 12-15 reps on with proper form
4 - a slightly lighter weight for as many reps as it takes to burnout. I maintain proper form throughout. I think that is key.

As soon as I notice that I can get the heaviest weight to 10-12 reps, I increase the weight again to get me back to failing at 8.

I do this with all my muscle groups and once I figured this out I started seeing progress. The most important thing is the mind/muscle connection. It's different for everyone so you will have to experiment to figure out what works for you. There's no one size fits all solution.

Old 05-03-2023, 03:53 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,862,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
Search for Jeff Cavaliere Athlean-X on YouTube.

When you find his channel, keyword "bicep", and you'll be on your way. Trust me. Likely the best guy on YT, because he knows how to get results.

Old 05-04-2023, 08:20 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,686,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
What I have found that works for me is progressive overloading and drop sets. But as the poster above said... triceps do a lot of work towards making your biceps "appear" bigger.

I only focus on each muscle group once per week and have had pretty good results.

I do 4 supersets (one bicep - one tricep) of each exercise with a 45 second break between sets. I usually average about 8-10 different movements (4 supersets of each one).

1 - heaviest weight that I can manage to fail at 8 reps with proper form
2 - a weight that I can do 10-12 reps on with proper form
3 - a lighter weight that I can do 12-15 reps on with proper form
4 - a slightly lighter weight for as many reps as it takes to burnout. I maintain proper form throughout. I think that is key.

As soon as I notice that I can get the heaviest weight to 10-12 reps, I increase the weight again to get me back to failing at 8.

I do this with all my muscle groups and once I figured this out I started seeing progress. The most important thing is the mind/muscle connection. It's different for everyone so you will have to experiment to figure out what works for you. There's no one size fits all solution.
The part I made bold is the most important part. Every real professional says the same thing. When you start trying to do too much weight and use bad form is when you get hurt.

Old 05-05-2023, 03:44 PM

496 posts, read 327,466 times
+1 on the part about form. I've seen many guys in the gym who I think are just there to see how much they can curl so they can brag to their friends about it. They're using their whole bodies to swing the dumbells/barbell upwards and are not in control over the weight. They have to do fast reps because they need to lean backwards with their torsos to get the weight up.

If you isolate the muscles and do slower reps, you'll get a much better workout and you won't strain your back. I would worry more about my form than the actual amount of weight.

Are you working out the complementary muscles too? It won't help your wrestling if you have huge biceps, but underdeveloped triceps, lats and deltoids.

Old 05-05-2023, 07:02 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,614,590 times
Assuming, you want strong biceps, not just shaped biceps?
Pyramids.
Negative repetitions.
Those are two bulletproof ways to build strength.

To my taste, you are not hitting it frequently enough for the week and over exercising it the way you have it set now. Cut your load in half per session and do it 4 times a week.

Just curious, why biceps for jujitsu?

Old 05-05-2023, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snackmaster View Post
Are you working out the complementary muscles too? It won't help your wrestling if you have huge biceps, but underdeveloped triceps, lats and deltoids.
Also forearms are the main thing people see not the Biceps/Triceps for those that are doing for a look.

The OP is a wrestler though so all of his arm will be viewable.....if that's the reason he wants bigger Biceps.

Old 05-06-2023, 09:00 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,686,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Also forearms are the main thing people see not the Biceps/Triceps for those that are doing for a look.

The OP is a wrestler though so all of his arm will be viewable.....if that's the reason he wants bigger Biceps.
Back when I was boxing we had a guy try it for a while. He only did bicep curls and tricep extensions. He had huge arms with slightly bigger than normal shoulders. The rest of him was super skinny. In normal clothes it wasn't as noticeable but in shorts and a tank top he looked silly.

Old 05-06-2023, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Back when I was boxing we had a guy try it for a while. He only did bicep curls and tricep extensions. He had huge arms with slightly bigger than normal shoulders. The rest of him was super skinny. In normal clothes it wasn't as noticeable but in shorts and a tank top he looked silly.
Yeah, we need proportion.

I never understand the desire for a pair of big guns or even a big chest, for that matter.

The upper traps and side delts really show power for those looking to have a certain look of size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness