Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 10:47 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,003,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
My gym attendance was much higher this time last year.
Not sure what else there is to tell ya. Hopefully the gym will retain enough members for it to stay open for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 11:31 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,462,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Not sure what else there is to tell ya. Hopefully the gym will retain enough members for it to stay open for you.
Yeah, I would be bummed out if it went out of business. The only other gym within walking distance is the YMCA. The YMCA is too crowded, has too many kids, is not 24/7, and is nowhere near as laid back.

Old 05-02-2023, 12:15 PM

22,352 posts, read 29,470,487 times
No, mine is getting busier

Old 05-02-2023, 01:06 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,957,903 times
Don't get why the YMCA is so crowded. Its never the cleanest or best or has the lastest workout equipment.

Too expensive to add to that. Its at least 75 a month in my area.

Old 05-02-2023, 01:07 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,689,326 times
Quote:
My gym attendance was much higher this time last year.
Maybe the YMCA improved its offerings? That happened at my gym. For about 2 years, it had drastically reduced offerings and I heard a lot of complaints about how it wasn’t worth the price at the time. Now it’s back to how it was pre-pandemic and seems worth it again. For a while it seemed like there were barely any classes and the machines were all packed with teens doing “supersets” on 3 machines in different parts of the gym during the most filled gym times. It was pretty unpleasant. At least now the classes are back.

Old 05-02-2023, 01:25 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Don't get why the YMCA is so crowded. Its never the cleanest or best or has the lastest workout equipment.

Too expensive to add to that. Its at least 75 a month in my area.
Yeah as a pure workout gym the Y has never been my favorite for those exact reasons.

But it can be a pretty good option for a family with diverse fitness and activity desires, especially with kids and tweens.

Old 05-02-2023, 01:55 PM

12,860 posts, read 9,080,750 times
Wonder if what you're seeing is more people returing to work in the office. That work routine can be draining by the time you get home, fix supper, feed the kids, clean the house, who wants to hit the gym?

Old 05-02-2023, 01:58 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,462,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Wonder if what you're seeing is more people returing to work in the office. That work routine can be draining by the time you get home, fix supper, feed the kids, clean the house, who wants to hit the gym?
Yeah, that is a possibility I proposed. People simply being too tired. I am very dedicated to maintaining my fitness, but sometimes after a long day of work, even I have to scrounge up every shred of my willpower and discipline to get a workout in

Old 05-02-2023, 02:38 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,689,326 times
Quote:
Yeah, that is a possibility I proposed. People simply being too tired. I am very dedicated to maintaining my fitness, but sometimes after a long day of work, even I have to scrounge up every shred of my willpower and discipline to get a workout in
If you are in a suburban area, a lot of people may switch over to an urban gym where they can go during lunch or on their way home from work as well. I know a lot of people who say that once they go home, they aren’t leaving again. A lot of people also seem to prefer the boutique studio places where you get in and out in 50 minutes without having to stand around and wait for a particular machine.

Old 05-02-2023, 02:43 PM

21,901 posts, read 13,004,619 times
I wouldn't think many people would be interested in a gym that offers nothing but free weights. Couldn't you easily replicate that in your own garage? When and if I join a gym, it will be for not only the weights, but also the machines, the pool, the group classes, the indoor walking track, and the camaraderie. And possibly the smoothie bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness