Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 06:56 PM

83 posts, read 268,054 times

Advertisements

...it's probably a familiar storyline, but I am struggling to do so. I am a 44-year-old male weighing 240 and would like to work down to 190. The same things that worked 20 years ago are obviously not doing it. I've heard advice from all over the place, which is incredibly overwhelming. Of course, I'm coming here for more...hoping something agrees with my brain.

Anything work for those of you with this struggle? I have such a sweet tooth, but I've been cutting back only to lose a few pounds. I started the year at 250 and have gotten as low as 233, but that is where I get stuck. Then I stress eat because I get frustrated. The cycle is treacherous, and I want to break out of it.

Someone, please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2023, 07:22 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Can you walk us through what you eat in a day/week? And be honest. Tell me that, and then tell me your height + activity level and I can make a plan that you can stick to.

Old 07-20-2023, 07:58 PM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times
Your life will be MUCH better if you eliminate added sugar.

Do you smoke or drink alcohol or soda/sugary drinks?

Also, have you been to the doctor to have your blood sugar checked? Are you insulin resistant? Are you sedentary at work, or do you have a job that requires movement/lifting, etc. Do you know your Basal Metabolic Rate, and are you eating at a deficit to it?

Yes, I am full of questions....haha. But the reality is that losing weight is a very complicated topic, and there are a lot of variables at play.

Old 07-20-2023, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
But the reality is that losing weight is a very complicated topic, and there are a lot of variables at play.
It's incredibly simple, calories in and calories out. But execution can be hard for some as their body will be fighting them every step of the way. The trick is to know how to gradually diet (don't attempt the perfect diet right away) and how to slowly swap high calorie/low nutritional foods for lower calorie/higher nutritional options.

It's more the step by step by step process to get the perfect diet that people are missing. Most people know what the perfect diet looks like, just not the steps to get there. If they go from eating like hippos to eating like birds, it almost always results in yo-yo dieting.

Old 07-21-2023, 01:00 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Have you tried Keto? It works very well for some, but not for all. It's worth a try, stick with it for at least a month. I lost a lot of weight doing Keto, but a colleague said it didn't work for him. Give it a shot.

Of course, consult with your Doc or similar to make sure you're good to go health wise.

Old 07-21-2023, 06:12 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixrising3131 View Post
...weighing 240 ...have such a sweet tooth... and would like to work down to 190.
Anything work for those of you with this struggle?
Almost any consistently applied scheme you STICK WITH will work.

The common theme is to eliminate the big 3 (bread, beer, sweets) and cut portion sizes. It's not a state secret.
Drink LOT's of water. Get LOT's of sleep. Small portions. Limit meals to an 8 hour window per day.

Old 07-21-2023, 06:29 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,054,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Can you walk us through what you eat in a day/week? And be honest. Tell me that, and then tell me your height + activity level and I can make a plan that you can stick to.
People always forget to include their height ....

5' 5" 240 lbs .....not good....

6' 5" 240 lbs .....maybe ok....

I have friend with a big build 6' 3" and handles 240 lbs only looking slightly overweight...

By OP saying he's trying to get down to 190 lbs ....I'm guessing 5'11" to 6'1".

Old 07-21-2023, 06:37 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixrising3131 View Post
Anything work for those of you with this struggle? I have such a sweet tooth, but I've been cutting back only to lose a few pounds. I started the year at 250 and have gotten as low as 233, but that is where I get stuck. Then I stress eat because I get frustrated. The cycle is treacherous, and I want to break out of it.
You could meet with a registered dietician who specializes in binge eating or stress eating. You need to retrain yourself into recognizing your hunger and fullness cues while learning how to live in the world with the foods that you love without overdoing it or making yourself miserable.

The other important thing is to give yourself some grace. You didn't put on the weight overnight, and you're not going to lose it overnight. Focus less on the number on the scale than introducing healthy behaviors into your lifestyle. Getting regular exercise that you enjoy, and eating nutritious food is good for you whether or not what you see on the scale changes quickly.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 07-21-2023 at 06:57 AM..

Old 07-21-2023, 07:51 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,872,571 times
Hijacking the thread kinda, as I have the same question as the OP.

But to provide initial background: I do not smoke, and I practically never (won't say never) drink soft drinks (including colas, lemonade, kookaid, ice tea w/ sugar, etc) - I mainly drink exclusively water. I avoid bread, pasta, and white rice, although not altogether 100% of it, that would be very difficult. I have always, since childhood, eaten little or no breakfast - which means my eating has always been limited to 8 hours - lunch, then dinner, that's it. (Which makes me question the "fasting" thing, as I've always just called it "Tuesday.")

I rarely eat candy or other sweets, I do not chew gum. I do use ONE teaspoon of sugar, once per day, in my coffee. I eat "fast food" maybe once a month, same with pizza or other garbage. Rarely fried foods.

In short - I ALREADY do all the things suggested here - but I still do not lose any weight.

Here's what worked (not kidding - it's just an example of what it took) - I had a scope done a few years back - meaning, liquid diet a few days before, plus the "evacuation" stuff....I lost 10 pounds in a week. I loved it. THAT is what it took for me to drop a pound.

One other thing - regarding calories in vs calories burned - SURE, in theory. The problem with that is - the fewer I take in - the fewer I burn. I eat less, so I move less. I take in less, so my metabolism slowed down to make up for it.

I quit drinking orange juice. I do not eat cereal (or milk). I cook - if using oil - in avocado oil. I use balsamic as salad dressing. I air fry if I need to fry. I never eat dessert.

But I do not lose weight. WTF?

Old 07-21-2023, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Hijacking the thread kinda, as I have the same question as the OP.

But to provide initial background: I do not smoke, and I practically never (won't say never) drink soft drinks (including colas, lemonade, kookaid, ice tea w/ sugar, etc) - I mainly drink exclusively water. I avoid bread, pasta, and white rice, although not altogether 100% of it, that would be very difficult. I have always, since childhood, eaten little or no breakfast - which means my eating has always been limited to 8 hours - lunch, then dinner, that's it. (Which makes me question the "fasting" thing, as I've always just called it "Tuesday.")

I rarely eat candy or other sweets, I do not chew gum. I do use ONE teaspoon of sugar, once per day, in my coffee. I eat "fast food" maybe once a month, same with pizza or other garbage. Rarely fried foods.

In short - I ALREADY do all the things suggested here - but I still do not lose any weight.

Here's what worked (not kidding - it's just an example of what it took) - I had a scope done a few years back - meaning, liquid diet a few days before, plus the "evacuation" stuff....I lost 10 pounds in a week. I loved it. THAT is what it took for me to drop a pound.

One other thing - regarding calories in vs calories burned - SURE, in theory. The problem with that is - the fewer I take in - the fewer I burn. I eat less, so I move less. I take in less, so my metabolism slowed down to make up for it.

I quit drinking orange juice. I do not eat cereal (or milk). I cook - if using oil - in avocado oil. I use balsamic as salad dressing. I air fry if I need to fry. I never eat dessert.

But I do not lose weight. WTF?
So what do you eat on a daily basis, walk us through the daily life of roodd. People tend to underestimate how many calories they eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness