Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2023, 08:05 AM

652 posts, read 520,676 times

Advertisements

I was busy running lots of errands. I didn't eat and workout like I usually do. Thus, without eating and working out I saw no reason to drink lots of water. So at the end of the day I drank my whey protein/creatine combo and went to sleep. I woke up this morning to pee and my urine was unusually dark. I immediately realized I barely drank water yesterday. Will this hurt my kidneys? Should I see a doctor today? Maybe they can take tests and see if there's any changes to my kidneys? I'm drinking a lot of water now.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2023, 09:09 AM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
You were dehydrated. Just rehydrate and don't worry about it. It's not like you are constantly in a dehydrated state. Of course, if you already have known problems with your kidneys and are worried then go see a doctor for your peace of mind. Otherwise, healthy kidneys are not going to be harmed by going without water for a day.

Old 10-14-2023, 01:25 PM

6,011 posts, read 2,836,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
I was busy running lots of errands. I didn't eat and workout like I usually do. Thus, without eating and working out I saw no reason to drink lots of water. So at the end of the day I drank my whey protein/creatine combo and went to sleep. I woke up this morning to pee and my urine was unusually dark. I immediately realized I barely drank water yesterday. Will this hurt my kidneys? Should I see a doctor today? Maybe they can take tests and see if there's any changes to my kidneys? I'm drinking a lot of water now.
Don't drink all that water at once. Spread it out throughout the day. I drink 2 to 2.5 liters of water every day. (4 to 5 regular water bottle sizes). I drink 500mL immediately after waking up. 500mL at noon. 500mL during the afternoon (sometimes). 500mL after dinner. And 500mL around 9:00 pm.

I've found water to be such a powerful health tool.

Old 10-14-2023, 06:15 PM

7,326 posts, read 4,121,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post

Unusually dark urine is a signs of kidney disease. An Estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) is a blood test for kidney function. BTW - Protein is very difficult for the kidneys to process.

Don't drink more than 120 ounces of water in day. Spread it out otherwise your blood could be low in chlorine, sodium and other necessary electrolytes. They are easy to flush out with water.

Old 10-14-2023, 07:12 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
You didn't do any meaningful damage to your kidneys with one day of reduced fluid intake, and it is not unusual for urine to be darker after a night's sleep. Assuming the issue corrects with proper hydration, you'll be fine.

Old 10-14-2023, 07:25 PM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Maybe there was something in your protein drink that changed the color of urine?
Also, most people have darker urine in the morning. Just a common sense - you were asleep for several hours without drinking anything. That's totally normal.

Thirst is self regulating. Most people, except chronically ill or mentally disoriented, know when they are thirsty and need to drink something. Your brain is controlling it and tells you to drink.
The need to drink 8 glasses of water is a myth too. Debunked long time ago.

So, don't panic - listen to you body. If you didn't feel thirsty yesterday, they you probably weren't. You got some fluids with your food.
And no, your kidney is not damaged from one time occurrence. If you feel fine, there is no need to bother your doctor.

Old 10-15-2023, 07:53 AM

2,024 posts, read 981,353 times
It's ONE day...ONE time...relax!

Old 10-15-2023, 10:53 AM

7,326 posts, read 4,121,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Maybe there was something in your protein drink that changed the color of urine?
Also, most people have darker urine in the morning. Just a common sense - you were asleep for several hours without drinking anything. That's totally normal.

Thirst is self regulating. Most people, except chronically ill or mentally disoriented, know when they are thirsty and need to drink something. Your brain is controlling it and tells you to drink.
The need to drink 8 glasses of water is a myth too. Debunked long time ago.

So, don't panic - listen to you body. If you didn't feel thirsty yesterday, they you probably weren't. You got some fluids with your food.
And no, your kidney is not damaged from one time occurrence. If you feel fine, there is no need to bother your doctor.
Actually, I was not thirst until my kidney disease advanced. Many people will kidney disease miss their body's signal until its advance. There is difference between brownish urine (a sign of disease) and a yellow urine.

Old 10-15-2023, 01:04 PM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Sure. OP didn't describe his morning urine, just said it was darker than usual. He didn't say that he has kidney disease either.
If he was busy running errands, he probably didn't have much time to pee. It accumulated. Got darker.
One time incident won't cause any health problems and that's what this thread is about.

Like I said - unless someone is chronically sick, most people know when they are thirsty.

Old 11-09-2023, 07:40 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,568,534 times
Urine can also be darker from vitamins that are water soluble and you eliminate them.

I drink a mug of something many times throughout the day. Half a gallon to a gallon of water daily is used for making my herbal, black and green teas. Drinking keeps my mouth 'busy' so I don't constantly eat.

I just started taking a teaspoon or two of creatine daily to see what might happen. I don't plan to increase liquids since I drink so much normally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness