Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 12:32 PM

88,843 posts, read 85,240,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Planet Fitness, fairly bleechy, but cheap.

Ok, the workout-areas are usually fine..........the bathrooms/showers/change-areas
usually are a little rough.
Mine is not like that. Relatively new, 2 years or so, those areas are clean and well-kept. But they do have an initial fee to join.

Old 10-17-2023, 07:04 PM

24,780 posts, read 11,150,461 times
Just be honest with the front desk person or ask for the manager. You will not take up gym space. They have a quote of sales to make. Sail under the radar with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2023, 07:12 PM

5,435 posts, read 3,534,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Medicare Plans with "Silver Sneakers" and "Silver and Fit" offer free memberships to participating fitness facilities.

#1) Your plan needs to offer these fitness options
#2) Your local fitness center(S) need to accept that plan,

Some of our local clubs only accept one or the other, and some complain profusely about seniors using this plan (it pays $3/ visit up to a maximum of 10 visits / month). But w/o it, I would never attend these fitness centers. (could not afford). Fortunately, one of my favorite lap pools still charges $0.75 (but it's 2200 miles away) I still go when I'm in the area. (as I did 50 yrs ago).
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
As others have asked are you on Medicare? If so you get silver sneakers free which pays for a gym membership for you. I am a lifelong gym rat and always paid for memberships. But now I am silver sneakers and switched. Same gym, just took 20 minutes to drop my paid membership to free silver sneakers.
Not only that I joined two other gyms for free.

I have Medicare and an AARP UHC Supplement Plan N and I have something called "Renew Active" instead of "Silver Sneakers" or "Silver and Fit". It pays at my Y which I was paying $45 a month prior to age 65, and I just joined a new Life Time Gym in Miami that is $259 a month which I would never pay that much! I wonder how much Life Time gets per senior? Reading about gym memberships on the AARP UHC website it states I can join as many gyms as I want that they contract with, I guess they figure if seniors go to the gym, they will be healthier and cost the insurance a lot less?

Old 10-17-2023, 07:36 PM

2,204 posts, read 1,107,234 times
Do any gyms offer senior discounts not associated with this Silver Sneakers or Medicare? If not, they really should. Seniors have the option to use the gym during off hours, like during the day when everyone's at work.

I went to a gym years ago and would go extra early, like before 6am, so I could avoid people. It was pretty quiet until 7am or so, just me and a bunch of old ladies with the same idea in mind. Though most of them were there to swim, not use the equipment.

I naively went to the gym once around 7pm, thinking it would be quiet and that everyone was done for the day and at home with their families. I was wrong - they were all at the gym. The OP would be wise to find the quieter times at her gym to avoid crowds.

Old 10-17-2023, 07:53 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,351,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Do any gyms offer senior discounts not associated with this Silver Sneakers or Medicare? If not, they really should. Seniors have the option to use the gym during off hours, like during the day when everyone's at work.

I went to a gym years ago and would go extra early, like before 6am, so I could avoid people. It was pretty quiet until 7am or so, just me and a bunch of old ladies with the same idea in mind. Though most of them were there to swim, not use the equipment.

I naively went to the gym once around 7pm, thinking it would be quiet and that everyone was done for the day and at home with their families. I was wrong - they were all at the gym. The OP would be wise to find the quieter times at her gym to avoid crowds.
I will not be using the equipment. I just want somewhere to be able to bathe twice a day or at the very least once per day. I hate not being able to bathe. As long as I do not have more than a 30 minute wait to use a shower, I will be happy.

Old 10-17-2023, 08:10 PM

That's what I thought, but obviously don't tell them that when you're signing up. You're just a regular member there for fitness.

You might enjoy the hot tub/sauna as well if there's nobody there. At 6am I usually had it allll to myself.

Old 10-17-2023, 08:43 PM

Quote:
That's what I thought, but obviously don't tell them that when you're signing up. You're just a regular member there for fitness.

You might enjoy the hot tub/sauna as well if there's nobody there. At 6am I usually had it allll to myself.
No, of course I would not tell them that. I love a hot tub especially now my entire body aches after moving all of my things into storage, but I no longer own a bathing suit, so hot tub is out.

Old 10-17-2023, 09:08 PM

You might be able to get away with it, especially if you're older. Just go in the tub with a tshirt and shorts.

I was once relaxing alone in the hot tub and a senior woman joined me, completely topless but wearing underpants. I can't say it was a pleasant sight and it made me feel uncomfortable so I got out after a couple minutes. That was probably her plan!

Old 10-17-2023, 10:05 PM

Quote:
You might be able to get away with it, especially if you're older. Just go in the tub with a tshirt and shorts.

I was once relaxing alone in the hot tub and a senior woman joined me, completely topless but wearing underpants. I can't say it was a pleasant sight and it made me feel uncomfortable so I got out after a couple minutes. That was probably her plan!
Wow, I cannot believe anyone would do that!

Old 10-17-2023, 10:18 PM

Well, if she wanted the tub for herself, she got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness