Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2023, 08:10 PM

3,485 posts, read 1,405,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
In fact, I’m not sure why you’re doing flys. Bench press is good enough. You add in flys when bench press no longer seems to get you gains in your chest. Provided bench press is still giving you a pump in your chest and some residual soreness no need to add flys. Save these exercises for when you need them.
Now you tell me!

Funny tho because the fly machine is the most hogged machine in my gym. Turn your back for 1 second and someone else grabs it! In fact, come to think of it, I tend to feel a little rushed doing workouts at the gym as I feel the need to finish my sets on one machine as quickly as possible in order to grab the next machine while it's still vacant and before it gets taken. That's actually the reason I had to quit this gym. It was causing more harm and aggravation than what it's worth. Can't workout at my own pace because equipment is always high in demand. The gym was becoming a s*** show and we haven't even gotten to the New Year's crowd yet.

Once I rest and let this shoulder heal, I'll probably should just take it easy and do home workouts instead. Not as good as a gym and probably won't build as much muscle, but hey, home workouts are better than no workouts. At this point, I probably should just concentrate on working out for health reasons instead of doing so to look like Ryan Reynolds.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2023, 08:12 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,493,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Don't fool around w/ Rotator cuff problems. Give things a good rest, and if you can afford it or your insurance covers it, see a physical therapist. They know more than doctors about these things, I loved working w/ them at Savannah Memorial Hospital's In Patient Rehab ward. I had a Rotator cuff issue a long time ago, it hurt like crazy and took over a year to heal. In the interim, learn how to limit your mobility w/ that side and find some good pain pills for the times when it flares up. If you continue to irritate it you'll probably need surgery on it, especially if it involves an issue w/ a tendon.
If you take pain pills while working out you may just mask the pain and do more damage. If the pain persists after a good off period it’s best to get it checked out by a medical professional and see if you’re healthy enough to keep lifting.

Old 11-25-2023, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Now you tell me!

Funny tho because the fly machine is the most hogged machine in my gym. Turn your back for 1 second and someone else grabs it! In fact, come to think of it, I tend to feel a little rushed doing workouts at the gym as I feel the need to finish my sets on one machine as quickly as possible in order to grab the next machine while it's still vacant and before it gets taken. That's actually the reason I had to quit this gym. It was causing more harm and aggravation than what it's worth. Can't workout at my own pace because equipment is always high in demand. The gym was becoming a s*** show and we haven't even gotten to the New Year's crowd yet.

Once I rest and let this shoulder heal, I'll probably should just take it easy and do home workouts instead. Not as good as a gym and probably won't build as much muscle, but hey, home workouts are better than no workouts. At this point, I probably should just concentrate on working out for health reasons instead of doing so to look like Ryan Reynolds.
The pec fly is a great exercise for your chest but at your level you may not need it. If bench press gives you a good feeling in your chest and you’re making gains, no need to add exercises. Bonus: bench also works front delts and triceps at the same time. It’s only when 3-5 sets of bench no longer yield a good pump and you’re no longer sore is when you can add chest flys.

I now need 1 day just for chest. When I started it was just 3 sets on bench and I was doing full body workouts. For you, probably 3 sets of bench (10-20reps), 3 sets of squats, 3 sets of barbell rows, and 3 sets of something for the hamstrings is all you need until you no longer make progress then you begin to add and eventually do a push-pull-leg or upper-lower split until you’re like me where you target one muscle group per day (aka “bro” split).

Old 11-25-2023, 09:36 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
I cannot tell you how many athletes I know with ruined joints due to those shots. Glad yours got better but essentially the reason your doctor gave you is wrong. Of course most pains and aches go away on their own without medical intervention.
How was the doctor incorrect? I did not have any bone spurs or other damage. NSAIDS did not help. What else do you think should have been done? He did say that if the two shots did not give permanent relief, then other treatments would have to be considered.

Old 11-25-2023, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
How was the doctor incorrect? I did not have any bone spurs or other damage. NSAIDS did not help. What else do you think should have been done? He did say that if the two shots did not give permanent relief, then other treatments would have to be considered.
Vast majority of shoulder impingements go away on their own. Cortisone shots are merely to stop the pain while it heals, and are not themselves restorative (as you alluded your physician said). I have been involved in sports medicine long enough to remember when treatment was arthroscopic acromioplasty, but that was debunked as several randomized control trials showed those who did not get the surgery fared just as well, or in some cases better.

When a physician decides to give you a cortisone shot, they actually know (now - if they're a good doc) this will result in more damage to the tendons/joint in that particular area. They may consider it worthwhile if you're already old (so near end of life expectancy, and probably not super mobile) and in a lot of pain. For younger individuals, like the OP, this should never be done unless they're an athlete who needs to preform as part of their job and cannot wait for their body to do the healing.

Old 11-25-2023, 11:04 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
The ortho I went to for shoulder pain said that if its caused by impingement of a tendon, it won't get better without a shot, as it will always be rubbing. I had 2 shots 10 years ago and haven't had pain since.

OP, go see a professional before you destroy your shoulder.
Start passive hanging from a bar in which you allow the shoulders to come up around the ears. Over time it will reshape the bone and create more space so that the tendon is no longer impinged. Hanging has helped me a lot.

There are a number of videos on YouTube which address hanging for the shoulders. Here is one.

Why & How "Hanging" STOPS Shoulder Pain & Surgery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI9KZVdFSmQ

Old 11-26-2023, 07:06 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Vast majority of shoulder impingements go away on their own. Cortisone shots are merely to stop the pain while it heals, and are not themselves restorative (as you alluded your physician said). I have been involved in sports medicine long enough to remember when treatment was arthroscopic acromioplasty, but that was debunked as several randomized control trials showed those who did not get the surgery fared just as well, or in some cases better.

When a physician decides to give you a cortisone shot, they actually know (now - if they're a good doc) this will result in more damage to the tendons/joint in that particular area. They may consider it worthwhile if you're already old (so near end of life expectancy, and probably not super mobile) and in a lot of pain. For younger individuals, like the OP, this should never be done unless they're an athlete who needs to preform as part of their job and cannot wait for their body to do the healing.
I had had pain for 2 years with no improvement, even though I did very little. I couldn't do much, because it hurt too much. Forgive me for believing what the doctor told me as opposed to someone on the internet.

Old 11-26-2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I had had pain for 2 years with no improvement, even though I did very little. I couldn't do much, because it hurt too much. Forgive me for believing what the doctor told me as opposed to someone on the internet.
I really don't care whom you believe. I'm advising against cortisone shots. At the very least the OP should be aware of their now bad reputation (which 20 years ago was not there, but now docs avoid them, especially in younger adults):

https://www.socalregenclinic.com/the...ne-injections/

Old 11-26-2023, 09:54 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,502,595 times
I tried "hanging" and stopped on advice of the PT. Getting specific advice about specific pain can be a problem if one doesn't know the cause. While I use the high bar to stretch, I don't hang any more, rather there are stretches. The shoulder is a weak area best treated with respect.

With respect to this video, they are saying the pain is OK. Really? Without knowing the source? If its ligaments getting ready to tear, that's a warning, not something to push through. Pushing through can result in a dislocated shoulder, a socket fracture and so forth.

Old 11-26-2023, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
I tried "hanging" and stopped on advice of the PT. Getting specific advice about specific pain can be a problem if one doesn't know the cause. While I use the high bar to stretch, I don't hang any more, rather there are stretches. The shoulder is a weak area best treated with respect.

With respect to this video, they are saying the pain is OK. Really? Without knowing the source? If its ligaments getting ready to tear, that's a warning, not something to push through. Pushing through can result in a dislocated shoulder, a socket fracture and so forth.
Bolded is what I want to comment on. And I'm pretty sure I have had more shoulder (left) injuries than anyone posting in this thread.

It's good to know why you're having pain. Some pain is ok, some is an early warning. It's best when you feel pain (vs soreness) to backoff and see if it goes away, and if it does not, try to figure out the source of the pain.

But, your goal should always be to get your shoulder back to original strength. If you treat your shoulder with "respect" (by that, I take it to baby it), your shoulder joint, tendons, and muscles will eventually weaken and you will be more injury prone in the future.

It's best after you identify the source of pain, to identify a way to rehabilitate it. There will be a point where you will want to use your shoulder through a full range of motion, eventually increasing the loads to where you were right before injury. Some pain during this process is ok, expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness