Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 12:06 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I really don't care whom you believe. I'm advising against cortisone shots. At the very least the OP should be aware of their now bad reputation (which 20 years ago was not there, but now docs avoid them, especially in younger adults):

https://www.socalregenclinic.com/the...ne-injections/
What are your qualifications for saying that? Are you a doctor? A board certified orthopod? I know what worked for me, and that was 2 shots. If that had not worked, then the doctor would have tried something else, because he wouldn't give more than 2 shots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2023, 12:29 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,493,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
What are your qualifications for saying that? Are you a doctor? A board certified orthopod? I know what worked for me, and that was 2 shots. If that had not worked, then the doctor would have tried something else, because he wouldn't give more than 2 shots.
2 shots, means probably over 6 months. How long did you have the pain before?

Perhaps you're misrepresenting what your doctor said, but if he told you that cortisone shots are restorative and without them you wouldn't get better, he's 100% wrong.

And anyone thinking of cortisone shots should read my link. -> https://www.socalregenclinic.com/the...ne-injections/

Old 11-26-2023, 01:25 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
I tried "hanging" and stopped on advice of the PT. Getting specific advice about specific pain can be a problem if one doesn't know the cause. While I use the high bar to stretch, I don't hang any more, rather there are stretches. The shoulder is a weak area best treated with respect.

With respect to this video, they are saying the pain is OK. Really? Without knowing the source? If its ligaments getting ready to tear, that's a warning, not something to push through. Pushing through can result in a dislocated shoulder, a socket fracture and so forth.
Hanging is good for tendonitis and for impingement. If you have arthritis that may be a different story. Many PT's advocate hanging. Those in the video I posted are PT's. What I can say for myself is that I badly messed up my right shoulder years ago. I'm sure I tore something in my shoulder, and I've had frozen shoulder. I foolishly never had my shoulder problems looked at, choosing to self treat. Fortunately, what I've done has brought my shoulder back to good health, and that includes hanging as well as certain mobility and stretching movements, and heavy exercises for the shoulders.

Do as you will but unless your PT gave you a good reason for not hanging in your specific case you might want to get a second opinion.

Old 11-26-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Perhaps you're misrepresenting what your doctor said, but if he told you that cortisone shots are restorative and without them you wouldn't get better, he's 100% wrong.

And anyone thinking of cortisone shots should read my link. -> https://www.socalregenclinic.com/the...ne-injections/
I had had the pain for over two years. It was caused by throwing baseballs too hard. The shots were 2 or 3 months apart. It's been about 10 years since I had them. The doctor told me that the shots would reduce the swelling in the tendon that had impingement and allow it to heal, since it would not be impinging any longer. Without doing something to stop the impingement, the tendon would never heal and would likely get worse.

Keep in mind that if the shots had not worked, the doctor would have done something else. He would not give more than 2 shots. Before giving me the shots, the doctor did some tests, including an X-ray, which showed no bone spurs, and a variety of shoulder movements while he he felt my shoulder.

Old 11-28-2023, 04:46 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,502,595 times
Quote:

I have had two injections in my torn labrum (MRI) and they helped. It's been two years since the last; they let me get into my new routine; two injections in the lower spine when I could not lift my right leg; it worked. The doctors have warned me about the risks listed and one risk was left off: severe mood swings. When I get a shot, they make me evil for about 36 hours; I have to be very careful about my interactions with people during those hours and not watch the news; otherwise I become a crazy old man.

Unfortunately, the alternatives listed are not covered by Medicare - at least when I last checked. That's really too bad, cortisone, PT and surgery are paid for but not the alternatives. When considering insurance, it's important to find out about PT benefits.

Old 11-28-2023, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
I have had two injections in my torn labrum (MRI) and they helped. It's been two years since the last; they let me get into my new routine; two injections in the lower spine when I could not lift my right leg; it worked. The doctors have warned me about the risks listed and one risk was left off: severe mood swings. When I get a shot, they make me evil for about 36 hours; I have to be very careful about my interactions with people during those hours and not watch the news; otherwise I become a crazy old man.

Unfortunately, the alternatives listed are not covered by Medicare - at least when I last checked. That's really too bad, cortisone, PT and surgery are paid for but not the alternatives. When considering insurance, it's important to find out about PT benefits.
Cortisone shots help with the pain, they won't help your labrum heal. I have a torn glenoid labrum (among many other problems with my shoulders), and it's painless. Yes, after the injury it hurt (dull ache) but pain goes away on its own. No cortisone shots needed.

Bottom line: cortisone shots just reduce pain at the expense of the tendons/joint actually healing. In fact, they make it worse.

Old 11-28-2023, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Cortisone shots help with the pain, they won't help your labrum heal. I have a torn glenoid labrum (among many other problems with my shoulders), and it's painless. Yes, after the injury it hurt (dull ache) but pain goes away on its own. No cortisone shots needed.

Bottom line: cortisone shots just reduce pain at the expense of the tendons/joint actually healing. In fact, they make it worse.
Not for everyone and not in every case. Cortisone shots are still part of a conservative treatment plan. Blame doctors who overuse them, not the shots themselves.

Old 11-28-2023, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Not for everyone and not in every case. Cortisone shots are still part of a conservative treatment plan. Blame doctors who overuse them, not the shots themselves.
I don't blame the shots. They do what they're supposed to do. Block the pain. They don't actually fix the underlying cause of the pain. In fact, they generally make it worse.

Old 11-28-2023, 07:59 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Now you tell me!
Funny tho because the fly machine is the most hogged machine in my gym. Turn your back for 1 second and someone else grabs it!
Machines are generally not a good thing over time, as they are on set tracks; creating repetitive movements you can't work around.
You're much better off with cables, bands, and free weights.
While what this vid shows may not be the cause, as he states; the corrective exercises generally help with most issues. And stay away from upright rows, as the combination of internal rotation plus upright position is simply not a good movement; there are many other ways to work delts safely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssH35JwmwTM

The last exercise is really good, you'll feel it; it's also a routine part of PT shoulder rehab.

Last edited by Sunbiz1; 11-28-2023 at 08:08 AM..

Old 11-28-2023, 08:07 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,502,595 times
Quote:

My labrum can't be healed; I forget the exact nature of the tear since there are different types of tear. I am not a candidate for surgery for multiple reasons (two different sports medicine practices, same opinion; I . Maybe one day there will be some sort of other treatment which insurance would pay for, but I am old and by then I'll be dead. The cortisone shots reduced the pain enough so I could at least put on a shirt and start PT; fortunately it's not the arm I use the most. I haven't been back to the doctor about it in over a year. The PT has been amazing and my shoulders now are stronger than in decades.

While I don't have a SLAP, I met younger people, that's most of the population on earth now, who have had the surgery and almost everyone says they still have pain and limited movement.

Point is, going back to the original post, there is a lot going on in the shoulder and a lot can go wrong; when pain persists a good look-see by a medical professional is warranted. I did not do that, but pushed through and it was the wrong decision.

It should also be noted that there are different kinds of cortisone shots and different ways they are administered. Cavaliere's videos are good, sometimes funny and in the video above he gives good insight as to why even the grip and angle can affect what's going on. He's an example of why I like a PT who goes to the gym; they know what you are talking about when you ask questions about a particular exercise and the equipment.

Last edited by webster; 11-28-2023 at 08:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness