Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 06:39 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times

Advertisements

He developed a kidney stone after taking for 4 months. And yes, he did also have the water retention which made him look bigger but as soon as that wore off he was disappointed. I mean it's not horrible for you but I'd never take anything supplemental besides the occasional protein bar, and that's only when I'm not hungry enough to eat a meal so it's better than completely skipping it. Another thing that scares me about creatine is the unknown side effects it may have on the heart, as the heart is also a muscle. Research in that area is lacking so it's really un-known. That's scary to me; I’m more into eating natural foods in order to obtain the nutrients I need. But, to each his own. Ya' know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 04:34 PM

532 posts, read 1,567,733 times
anybody just follow the gram of protein for every pound of your weight thing?

Old 12-03-2008, 04:52 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
He developed a kidney stone after taking for 4 months.
Wow. That stuff should not be taken more than 4-5 weeks. One week loading with maintenance phase beginning after that.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Wow. That stuff should not be taken more than 4-5 weeks. One week loading with maintenance phase beginning after that.
Sry...should have specified....he didn't take it for a solid month...he was doing a one week on two weeks off meathod.....so actually...he only took it for 2 weeks total.....

Old 12-04-2008, 06:47 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
You don't have to drink any more water when you are using creatine, that's nonsense. I've never had that issue. You RETAIN more water, yes, but you don't need to drink way more water. I've used creatine off and on for years now. My stomach sometimes feels funny if I have 10 of these huge creatine pills at once, it just doesn't seem natural to have to swallow 10 large pills at once. I have just switched back to a powder form, way easier and way cheaper.

Kidney stones are not a side effect of using creatine. That would be totally unrelated to creatine use. It'd be like saying I was using creatine and I had a heart attack. Ok, great, two completely uncorrelated things. I also killed a cockroach just before I had thyroid problems, but I doubt that killing the cockroach caused my thyroid to stop producing as much T4 hormone, haha.

Creatine is no miracle supplement in the sense that you have to work really hard still to see its benefits, but it's a pretty special supplement in the sense that it has so many positive effects potentially and is very easy to take. It's just a once-a-day affair, and to say that you are scared of putting it in your body is completely STUPID -- you already have it in your body!!! It's not a big deal to have extra creatine, whatever the body can't use it just flushes out anyway.

I've started using creatine again lately, my working out has been going great so I needed the creatine to bust through some plateaus, which it's great at helping with. I went from 166 pounds 5 weeks ago to 176 pounds last weekend, probably 3-5 pounds is water weight, the rest is muscle gain, which is fantastic. I'm now hoping over the next month to add some muscle but mainly tone what I have and cut some fat, hopefully falling back down around 170 ideally.

Also protein is not a supplement. It's so stupid to call protein a supplement. I mean you need protein to survive, however you get it. If you don't get enough in the foods you eat, which would be ideal, then you need to get additional protein in shakes or bars or whatever. But that's like calling a pack of M&Ms a carbohydrate supplement, freakin' ridiculous! Protein is one of the three basic forms of calories, protein, fat, and carbohydrates.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
You don't have to drink any more water when you are using creatine, that's nonsense. I've never had that issue. You RETAIN more water, yes, but you don't need to drink way more water. I've used creatine off and on for years now. My stomach sometimes feels funny if I have 10 of these huge creatine pills at once, it just doesn't seem natural to have to swallow 10 large pills at once. I have just switched back to a powder form, way easier and way cheaper.

Kidney stones are not a side effect of using creatine. That would be totally unrelated to creatine use. It'd be like saying I was using creatine and I had a heart attack. Ok, great, two completely uncorrelated things. I also killed a cockroach just before I had thyroid problems, but I doubt that killing the cockroach caused my thyroid to stop producing as much T4 hormone, haha.

Creatine is no miracle supplement in the sense that you have to work really hard still to see its benefits, but it's a pretty special supplement in the sense that it has so many positive effects potentially and is very easy to take. It's just a once-a-day affair, and to say that you are scared of putting it in your body is completely STUPID -- you already have it in your body!!! It's not a big deal to have extra creatine, whatever the body can't use it just flushes out anyway.

I've started using creatine again lately, my working out has been going great so I needed the creatine to bust through some plateaus, which it's great at helping with. I went from 166 pounds 5 weeks ago to 176 pounds last weekend, probably 3-5 pounds is water weight, the rest is muscle gain, which is fantastic. I'm now hoping over the next month to add some muscle but mainly tone what I have and cut some fat, hopefully falling back down around 170 ideally.

Also protein is not a supplement. It's so stupid to call protein a supplement. I mean you need protein to survive, however you get it. If you don't get enough in the foods you eat, which would be ideal, then you need to get additional protein in shakes or bars or whatever. But that's like calling a pack of M&Ms a carbohydrate supplement, freakin' ridiculous! Protein is one of the three basic forms of calories, protein, fat, and carbohydrates.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:43 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Actually, you do need to superhydrate when taking creatine. Maybe you have been taking the creatine monohydrate powder but I have only taken Cell-Tech's Creatine which was recommended to me by a friend who competes.

I know some "old school" Venice bodybuilders who would put 3-4 teaspoons of creatine monohydrate in a gallon of water and drink it througout the day in addition to the normal amounts of water they drank. I prefer the Cell-Tech method because I think the creatine looses a bit of its effectiveness if sitting in water all day.

Even when on the maintenance phase a Muscle Tech (Cell Tech) rep recommended superhydration and since I make it a point to follow the directions, thats exactly what I did.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:11 PM

^true, if you are going to use creatine you need to do this.......further proves my point that some ppl should just not give fitness/nutrition advice.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:45 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,304,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake786 View Post
aside from maybe a whey protein shake after lifting to help muscle repair, are their any pre or post workout supplements that are really worth it?
I heard protein powder damages your kidneys and liver over time.
Get your protein from food!

Old 05-09-2009, 01:16 AM

460 posts, read 3,546,977 times
1 hour before lifting I take 30 grams of whey protein with a slimfast shake. 2-1/2 to 3 hrs later following the workout I usually put another 30 g's of whey powder in a blender with a scoop of slimfast powder and a bananna and have a V8, glass of orange juice and a multivitamin.

Before road cycling I try to eat something like a bannana for fuel and then take 30 grams of whey protein after the ride.

Pease feel free to comment on that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness