Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 01:39 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,215,512 times

Advertisements

What can a person do to prevent his or her cardiovascular fitness levels from declining further with aging at the age of 36 years old or older? Thanks

Last edited by Isleofpalms85; 11-06-2021 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 04:52 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
What can a person do to prevent his or her cardiovascular fitness levels from declining further with aging at the age of 36 years old or older? Thanks
Both low intensity and high intensity training promote cardiovascular fitness. Do a combination of both several times a week. Low intensity would be something like walking or bicycling, high intensity would be something like doing floor mountain climbers quickly for example, or sprinting if you can do that. There are other things you can do of course.

And watch your nutrition also. Eat a good cardiovascular, heart healthy diet.

Old 11-06-2021, 05:56 PM

19 posts, read 11,175 times
Quote:
What are you currently doing to stay fit? By the sound of your question, you sound as if you are not really doing much at this point in your life.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quezz View Post
What are you currently doing to stay fit? By the sound of your question, you sound as if you are not really doing much at this point in your life.
I’m at least moderately active for being a 36 year old man; I’ve been walking/pace walking 10+ miles a day for over 6 months, I can still sprint/run very fast for someone my height and age. I feel I’ve actually declined very little in how fast I can run and sprint from since when I was a teenager and especially since I was in my twenties; I’m wondering what I can do to maintain my present levels of fitness or at the very least slow down the declining phase associated with aging as much as I possibly can. Any and all insightful information and advice on this issue is greatly appreciated

Old 11-07-2021, 05:06 AM

I suppose nobody cares to give any meaningful advice to help me. I suppose it’s way too late to mitigate the consequences and rapid decline in fitness associated with getting older. Too bad so sad cuz I’ve heard success stories of people being in excellent shape well beyond their 30’s.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:40 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,061,004 times
Seriously? If it’s that important to you, do a little research, hire a trainer, etc. You’re giving up because you didn’t get many responses here? Hell, go through the forum and determine what applies to you. It’s never too late to improve your fitness, but if you give up this easily or rely only on others’ input, it certainly explains why you’re struggling.

Old 11-07-2021, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Seriously? If it’s that important to you, do a little research, hire a trainer, etc. You’re giving up because you didn’t get many responses here? Hell, go through the forum and determine what applies to you. It’s never too late to improve your fitness, but if you give up this easily or rely only on others’ input, it certainly explains why you’re struggling.
Fine. I will do the research myself from now on. I guess no more asking questions here. And fyi I’m not struggling at all.

Old 11-07-2021, 08:39 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
You have to accept that at 36, you aren’t going to be as fast or as strong as you were in high school. We don’t see a lot of Olympians over 30 for a reason, and other competitive sports also have age brackets for a reason.

That doesn’t mean you can’t keep fit or healthy. It is just unrealistic to expect that you will run like an 18 year old when you are twice that age. I know people who started doing marathons and long-distance activities in their 30s. A friend’s dad started long-distance swimming in his 30s and was breaking records in his 80s for what he was able to do in his age bracket. My guess is that you just need to focus on different goals than you are focusing on now. Train to run/fast walk a half marathon, or run a 5K.

Old 11-07-2021, 08:55 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
I suppose nobody cares to give any meaningful advice to help me. I suppose it’s way too late to mitigate the consequences and rapid decline in fitness associated with getting older. Too bad so sad cuz I’ve heard success stories of people being in excellent shape well beyond their 30’s.
I thought I did that in the second post.

Old 11-07-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You have to accept that at 36, you aren’t going to be as fast or as strong as you were in high school. We don’t see a lot of Olympians over 30 for a reason, and other competitive sports also have age brackets for a reason.

That doesn’t mean you can’t keep fit or healthy. It is just unrealistic to expect that you will run like an 18 year old when you are twice that age. I know people who started doing marathons and long-distance activities in their 30s. A friend’s dad started long-distance swimming in his 30s and was breaking records in his 80s for what he was able to do in his age bracket. My guess is that you just need to focus on different goals than you are focusing on now. Train to run/fast walk a half marathon, or run a 5K.
Look at many 30 and 40 something’s now,a considerable amount of them even don’t look too well for being in their 30’s or 40’s, and more and more “Young-er” Americans are getting heart disease heart attacks and certain cancers and in general are in considerably worse physical shape and health than people in previous generations were at their age fortunately i am not part of that sobering statistic and I hopefully won’t become one either, As I’ve said before I have not declined significantly in my speed or stamina while sprinting since my late or possibly even my mid 20’s and I feel much better more energetic and healthier than I have for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness