Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 10:05 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,212,296 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I have always had trouble with the lack of strength in my forearm, wrists and ankles. I've tried push ups and dumbbells, which helped my biceps a lot and my shoulders a bit, but nothing for my forearms or wrists. Not sure what could help strengthen my ankles. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 10:25 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,237,876 times
wrist curls both ways
wrist rotations
wrist rolls
squeeze the ball

These are good for preventing tennis or golfers elbow as well.

google wrist exercises
then google forearm exercises

Wrist Strengthening Exercises - Wrist Rehabilitation Exercises - PhysioAdvisor

Bodybuilding.com - Strengthen Your Wrists & Forearms For Wrestling, Rock Climbing, Water Skiing & More...

There was lots more.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:33 PM

577 posts, read 1,001,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
wrist curls both ways
wrist rotations
wrist rolls
squeeze the ball

These are good for preventing tennis or golfers elbow as well.

google wrist exercises
then google forearm exercises

Wrist Strengthening Exercises - Wrist Rehabilitation Exercises - PhysioAdvisor

Bodybuilding.com - Strengthen Your Wrists & Forearms For Wrestling, Rock Climbing, Water Skiing & More...

There was lots more.
Good call, the first 3 on the bodybuilding.com link are the exercises I would do consistently for forearms.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:36 PM

295 posts, read 1,450,767 times
..or, as an alternative if you are not in the "Joe Wieder" mode of working out:

Pull ups - wrists and forearms (as well as biceps, back, and shoulders).
Power cleans (heavy) - wrists and forearms (as well as the entire body).
Plyometric jumping (explosive jumps from the floor onto a bench, chair, or platform) - ankles (and entire leg and core muscles).
Sports that incorporate quick lateral movements (tennis, basketball, racquetball) - ankles (etc.).

Working out with any heavier weight that you have to control will benefit your grip strength - wrists and forearms. Even when you do heavy triceps extensions, you should feel a burn in your forearms before long. You may or may not be able to significantly strengthen your grip by doing individual wrist curls though - especially if the goal is to help you be able to grip heavy weights for things like dead lifts or pull ups. I always had a weak grip until I started doing power cleans and pull ups routinely. Just the act of gripping and controlling a heavy weight is enough to build those muscles quickly.

You can also strengthen your ankles by doing calf raises, wearing a weight vest while climbing stairs, or by endurance exercises that engage your calves (running, cycling, etc.). Calves and other leg muscles are used to the load of your body weight, so you would need to load a weight machine accordingly to get an additional benefit.

It is more difficult to build up the wrists and ankles specifically, and there really is no bulky musculature in these areas. The muscles in the wrists and ankles are mostly used to stabilize the joint instead of move a weight through a certain range of motion.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:52 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
I second Gymbys suggestion of doing pullups and plyometrics.

Another alternative that I highly recommend is Vinyasa Sun Salutations "A" and "B". Learn these bad boys and get to the point where you do 20 Sun Salutation As, then 20 Sun Salutation Bs and you'll be good.

Sun Salutations are basically designed to strengthen your ENTIRE BODY but the practice of them will definitely improve your wrist and forearm strength.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:33 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Do curls with your palms facing the opposite way from normal curls (palms away from you at the upward position).

Old 07-29-2011, 06:58 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
Loaded carries like farmers walk, suitcase walk and waiters walk. According to Dan John, these are some of the most neglected exercises out there, but they can't be beat for strengthening your arms and your core. Be prepared for weird stares at the gym when you do them, but they whip you into shape better than most other lifts people are trying to do at the gym.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:10 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,716,319 times
Some fun life activity stuff:

Skate, surf and swim

If you can't do full pull ups or more than a few try holding the pullup halfway down as long as you can. Same with weights. That really helped me progress faster when I had to start from scratch or up the effort and couldn't do more reps.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:48 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,237,876 times
Well, if you're looking for all round activity that strengthens the wrists try a job like these guys

‪CYLINDER HANDLER‬‏ - YouTube

‪How to maneuver and load Gas Bottles/Cylinders‬‏ - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness