Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 06:42 PM

13,003 posts, read 1,017,660 times

Advertisements

Maybe this is odd but I am depressed and/or board if I do not go to the gym for at least an hour each morning. My son and I go 6 times a week and I have even noticed that he is more interested in going to the gym then his Xbox lately. I was just joking when I gave myself the name "Gym Rat", but now it fits. I also seem to have really great days after the gym. I get more work done around the house. Am I alone? Or are there others out there feeling this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 07:26 PM

938 posts, read 3,491,221 times
I'm the same way...if I skip working out for a few days, my mood is noticeably worse. I think after a few years of working out the body gets "addicted" to it more or less. If I'm in a poor mood for some other reason, hitting the gym or going for a run always makes me feel a lot better too!

Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,569,477 times
It's a biochemical thing, I think...

I'm the same way with my martial arts workouts - if I miss just one day I feel "out of sorts" - two or more days and I get downright nasty.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:59 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,240,422 times
I am the same way, I wouldn't say I get depressed. I just feel so much better when I go as opposed to when I don't.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:28 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,129,831 times
I totally hear ya......When you work out you release certain mood enhancing neurotransmitters in the brain as well as boosting feel-good endorphins. Excersize has seemed to help so many people with anxiety and depression issues.....you just feel better about yourself period. Most trainers and/or researchers would recomend at least 30mins a day for at least 3-5 days a week.......definitly better than meds IMO!!

Old 07-30-2008, 09:52 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,923,826 times
I wouldn't call it depressed - more like, if I don't get my run in I feel guilty. It's all a mental game for me. Some people give me a hard time that I am so adamant about my run, but it's so easy to come up with stupid excuses and so hard to get back to it if you let that happen......
I was visiting my brother earlier in the month. Took all my stuff to be able to run that week. I ran the first day - but I was very uncomfortable running on their back roads there because there was no shoulder, it was hilly and curvy. I was afraid I was going to get hit. So I didn't run the rest of the week. That was horrible. I kept thinking about how tough it was going to be getting back to it when I got home after a week (top that off with I live at altitude and he does not....).
It was tough but not as bad as I thought. Took me about a week to get my lungs back to being used to the thin air.
I think it's great your son goes with you! Good exercise habits early in life will hopefully build a life time of it.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:35 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,046,841 times
Glad to read this thread and see that I'm normal. I was on vacation last week and had to find new ways to get my work out in. Something was just missing out of my life. I wasn't depressed about it, just felt strange.

I swam laps in the swimming pool, did my crunches, some floor exercises and used my rubber bands, but it just wasn't the same as my routine at the Y.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:11 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,851,114 times
Now that I am working out again and getting back to my routine.......I feel horrible if I miss one day. I am actually getting to the point were I am excited about working out! There are some days that I have to drag myself to the gym but for the most part I look forward to it! I just think about how good I feel mentally afterwards and that keeps me motivated as well as the physical outcome.

I definitely think that exercise and staying physically active is a natural mood enhancer!

Old 07-30-2008, 01:34 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,129,831 times
I agree.....it definitly becomes addicting to the point where you litterally crave it.....especially when you start seeing results....that's exciting stuff! I am constantly (7 days a week) doing some type of excersize. Anything from simply leg lifts to full body workouts....It's the best addiction!

Old 07-30-2008, 01:47 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,851,114 times
I know, I have to do something everyday otherwise if I miss one day I might fall out of my routine and I don't want that to happen.....it took some work to get to the point that I am at now mentally. I have a healthier outlook on things and that is begining to be incorporated in every aspect of my life aand I feel more productive! I def had to make some lifestyle changes but it is worth it!

(If I am having a non-motivated day I will just look back on these posts!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness